Movies you've seen recently... (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Thieves kidnap one person or two for a few hours (or days) and ask their families for money in exchange of the freedom

or

Thieves kidnap one person for a few hours in their cars and just wander around the city with them and making them go to atms/their houses to get possesions

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Fabiaina, its no better in Trinidad.

We had the HIGHEST kidnapping rate two years ago.

3 of my friends have been kidnapped.

There was even a kidnapp list and MY NAME was on it hence me moving out quickly.

My dad doesnt want me home.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
Fabiaina, its no better in Trinidad.

We had the HIGHEST kidnapping rate two years ago.

3 of my friends have been kidnapped.

There was even a kidnapp list and MY NAME was on it hence me moving out quickly.

My dad doesnt want me home.
That sucks. Im glad youre at least safe now
Here it used to be that way but currently theyll kindap just about anyone that looks that has money or a nice car...

Aug 1, 2003
THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After such a LOOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGG time, local TV finally showed my favourite-EST movie ever. It's been so long, and watching it again made me feel so happy.

Plunkett & Macleane

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
I went to a video shop today (I don't do that often since I prefer downloading them :devil: ). I saw Dr. Zhivago... to make a foolish story short, that is what I am watching now!

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
watched School of Rock last night with Jack Black, sceptical before about this film but really enjoyable and and worth watching for jack black's manic but touching performance

ashwin

Jul 19, 2005
i saw trainspotting recently, and i'd recommend the movie to anyone. its really great, violent, funny and weird at the same time. its about these guys in edinburgh that are heavily into drugs and what happens to em. its a great movie.

Genre: Drama (more)

Tagline: Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a starter home. Choose dental insurance, leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose your future. But why would anyone want to do a thing like that? (more)

Plot Outline: A wild, freeform, Rabelaisian trip through the darkest recesses of Edinburgh low-life, focusing on Mark Renton and his attempt to give up his heroin habit, and how the latter affects his relationship with family and friends: Sean Connery wannabe Sick Boy, dimbulb Spud, psycho Begbie, 14-year-old girlfriend Diane, and clean-cut athlete Tommy, who's never touched drugs but can't help being curious about them...

User Comments: Awesome, fantastic! (more)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Last night I finished watching The Day After Trinity -- a 1981 documentary about Robert Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project.

I came in with moderate expectations at best, expecting something very stiff and stuffy, but it was incredibly engrossing. I couldn't turn it off. The story of how Oppenheimer was just this shy of being a leftist radical, and how he was chosen to be the chief architect of the first atomic bomb...

Best yet was the footage of interviews of key people, and they thought back to the problems they faced and the decisions they made. Seeing them roll through their uncertainties (e.g., "would our test blow up the entire state of New Mexico?") and the moral dilemmas they faced at the time was particularly poignent. Oppenheimer's brother looked particularly pained by the experience.

It's a film worthy of perhaps the most important historical event of the 20th century. I'm surprised I had never heard of it previously. It's truly a stunning piece of work.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh dear, Costa? Yet you live? :D

I'll publish the English titles of the Dutch films that are good:

TOP CLASS:
Assault, the (1986)
Discovery of heaven, the (2001)
Character (1997)
Soldier of Orange (1977)
Twins, the (2002)

GOOD:
Abel (1986)
All Stars (1997)
Amsterdamned (1988)
Cool (2004)
Cave, the (2001)
Drift (2001)
Godforsaken (2003)
Johan Cruyff - En un momento dado (2004)
Leak (2000)
Loverboy (2003)
Oysters at Nam Kee's (2002)
Najib & Julia (2002)
Northeners, the (1992)
Shouf, Shouf Habibi (2004)
South (2004)

There are some promising projects coming up as well:
Deltastorm (2005 - it tells the story of the great flood of 1953 when over 2000 people died)
Heineken (2006 - it displays the kidnapping of Freddie Heineken two decades ago)
Cruisade in jeans (2005 - after the famous book by Thea Beckman)

Everything from the top class section you should really watch if you can!! From the good section, I particularly enjoyed the following:
All Stars, Cool, Godforsaken, Leak, Loverboy and Shouf Shouf Habibi :star:

EDIT: I don't seem to be able to delete the blank line between "Drift" and "Godforsaken" but anyways; that list is alphabetised only.
So, Steph, you ever managed to check some of them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)