Movies you've seen recently... (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
It has its flaws and inconsistencies (like what are farmers in 1920 Brittany doing with a private phone in their house? Or how is a French peasant family able to get sugar during WWI?).
Mathilde inherited her deceased parents fortune. She is meant to be rich, don't you people know anything? :D

++ [originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh no, you're one of those people who wreck the entire evening at the cinema because they point out annoying, unimportant details such as sugar.

I hate those people :D
:D

Erik, I'm a total ignorant when it comes to the Nederlandse film industry. I've only seen Costa which also starred the aformentioned miss Schuurman, and a plethora of nobodies. The toilet scene must've been the peak. Seriously, any flick you'd recommend?

Aug 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++

not for another 150 years at least. but with the earth having moved on its axis, and snow falling in dubai i'd like to think my secret hiding spot will save me from all such devastation as depicted in movies such as day after tomorrow, deep impact and armageddon.
The snow didnt fall in dubai it fell in Ras Al Khaima.
many people tell me a bit of snow falls over there but not as much like wat happned this year, besides the snow fell on the high mountain areas.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh no, you're one of those people who wreck the entire evening at the cinema because they point out annoying, unimportant details such as sugar.

I hate those people :D
:D

But if those are my only real complaints about a movie, that should mean it's pretty good.... and it certainly is.

Certainly, they are completely trivial details. Part of which is why I remembered them: for everything they did right to try to be authentic about the movie, it would have taken them little or no effort to get those other details right. But hey -- it's not a documentary or anything.

Oh, and a shout out for «ƒÕ®zå JüV€»: the direction is rather imaginative -- certainly realistic, but yet with an element of the fantastic. Pretty standard for Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stephañho! ] ++
Erik, I'm a total ignorant when it comes to the Nederlandse film industry. I've only seen Costa which also starred the aformentioned miss Schuurman, and a plethora of nobodies. The toilet scene must've been the peak. Seriously, any flick you'd recommend?
So the subject is Dutch flicks? I saw a good one recently -- Karakter. It came out several years ago (and I believe won the Oscar for best foreign film that year). The characters in the movie are a little cartoonish, but if you go with it, the movie employs some really interesting storytelling in a sort of period piece, diabolical family thriller kind of way.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
So the subject is Dutch flicks? I saw a good one recently -- Karakter. It came out several years ago (and I believe won the Oscar for best foreign film that year). The characters in the movie are a little cartoonish, but if you go with it, the movie employs some really interesting storytelling in a sort of period piece, diabolical family thriller kind of way.
Yes Karakter would be the best Dutch movie in a decade with ease. We're not very good at the movie thing :D

++ [ originally posted by Stephañho! ] ++
Oh dear, Costa? Yet you live? :D

I'll publish the English titles of the Dutch films that are good:

TOP CLASS:
Assault, the (1986)
Discovery of heaven, the (2001)
Character (1997)
Soldier of Orange (1977)
Twins, the (2002)

GOOD:
Abel (1986)
All Stars (1997)
Amsterdamned (1988)
Cool (2004)
Cave, the (2001)
Drift (2001)
Godforsaken (2003)
Johan Cruyff - En un momento dado (2004)
Leak (2000)
Loverboy (2003)
Oysters at Nam Kee's (2002)
Najib & Julia (2002)
Northeners, the (1992)
Shouf, Shouf Habibi (2004)
South (2004)

There are some promising projects coming up as well:
Deltastorm (2005 - it tells the story of the great flood of 1953 when over 2000 people died)
Heineken (2006 - it displays the kidnapping of Freddie Heineken two decades ago)
Cruisade in jeans (2005 - after the famous book by Thea Beckman)

Everything from the top class section you should really watch if you can!! From the good section, I particularly enjoyed the following:
All Stars, Cool, Godforsaken, Leak, Loverboy and Shouf Shouf Habibi :star:

EDIT: I don't seem to be able to delete the blank line between "Drift" and "Godforsaken" but anyways; that list is alphabetised only.

OP
vitoria_Ally

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2,037
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    Helpless? Water? What was it about?

2 people went to their vacations, and there they decided to go sea trip: with diving and watching coral reef... all people have been counted, when they were going down, and then when they were going up. But by some mistake, noone noticed, that those 2 didnt come back to surface and the boat left them on the ocean.

So 2 people left alone on the ocean, cold water, they spent there the whole day, the night was coming, and sharks were closer and closer.
    And the movie was made like documentary, so it made it even more scary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)