Movies you've seen recently... (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I forgot to mention this...

I saw Duck, You Sucker, aka A Fistful of Dynamite (aka Giù la testa)... the 1971 Sergio Leone classic about the Mexican Revolution that takes place as a sort of fourth movie of the man-with-no-name series.

Except this one stars Rod Steiger as a self-interested leader of Mexican bandits who becomes an unwitting revolutionary hero (he's awesome in it). And James Coburn as an Irish revolutionary on the run who likes to blow things up who befriends him in a weird way. (No Clint Eastwood.)

It's a long flick. And surprisingly, it dwelled heavily on the cruelty of the Mexican revolution -- mass executions, etc., that gave it a bit of the Schindler's List feel for its time.

Good flick. And an original perspective I've seen on the Mexican revolution, which wasn't what I was expecting.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Odd; I rarely hear positive things about A Fistful of Dynamite. It's kind of held up as the bastard sibling of the trilogy starring Eastwood and Once Upon a Time in the West. It's on my to see list all the same, along with another Leone film, Once Upon a Time in America, but that review bumps it up the list.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Odd; I rarely hear positive things about A Fistful of Dynamite. It's kind of held up as the bastard sibling of the trilogy starring Eastwood and Once Upon a Time in the West. It's on my to see list all the same, along with another Leone film, Once Upon a Time in America, but that review bumps it up the list.
I think if you go in with the expectations of it being another of the "trilogy", you're going to be disappointed. It's a very different film with much broader political ambitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)