Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (32 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I really enjoyed the scenography, and the tempo, but i felt the movie could have been much more than it turned out to be. Kind of dissapointed with it , because i was expecting something of a great ending and it all turned out kind of depressing lol
:tup:

I think it was a bit of a down year for movies. All the top films of the year had obvious flaws for me. There weren't really any masterpieces imo, which is a little disappointing.

I must confess, though, I kind of enjoy depressing. ;)

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
If anyone enjoyed Fahrhadi's "Separation" (2011), you should check "Everybody knows"(2018), featuring Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem. It's a similar experience and I highly recommend it.
I watched it at the cinema cause I'm a Barbara Lennie's fan :rolleyes:. Pe Cruz is a bad actress, but I enjoyed the movie anyway. Although you have to watch it with the idea that it's a bit of soap opera.

Now I'm waiting to see the new film by Carlos Vermut, and another one where acts Lennie, that received very good reviews.

Spanish cinema :tup:.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Uzak - Quite fucking depressing. Not that I mind such movies as it's usually those that get you thinking but a part of this movie was just kinda dull/boring to me. Characters were great which was a very positive point and I really liked some of stuff. It still failed to impress me on other fields, though. Decent movie but I expected a whole lot more. Sometimes simplicity ruins it for me but sometimes I find it inspiring and amazing. This was the former. But I gotta admit it's a movie that sticks with you and it gets a better impression as days pass after watching.

The Salt of the Earth - Great documentary. I really liked it. I'd give a lot bigger credit to Sebastião Salgado rather than the directors (Wim Wenders rarely does something shit really). It was hard to digest and some of the scenes/photos were really hard to watch/witness but at the same time it managed to show what it was supposed to: humanity. Humanity as something horrible, cruel and evil. And humanity as something really great and wonderful.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
The Salt of the Earth - Great documentary. I really liked it. I'd give a lot bigger credit to Sebastião Salgado rather than the directors (Wim Wenders rarely does something shit really). It was hard to digest and some of the scenes/photos were really hard to watch/witness but at the same time it managed to show what it was supposed to: humanity. Humanity as something horrible, cruel and evil. And humanity as something really great and wonderful.
Awesome. I thought it was very life-affirming! :)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I won't forgive myself that I didn't google earlier. I just noticed that the director is Yorgos Lanthimos. If I knew that... there's no way I would have watched it. He also made The Lobster which is one of the worst movies that I have ever watched. Now The Favourite... oh boy. Fucking Lanthimos... what a piece of shit director.

I can't believe I wasted 4 hours of my life watching these two pieces of pure garbage. What a disgusting feeling for my eyes and my gut. :inter:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I won't forgive myself that I didn't google earlier. I just noticed that the director is Yorgos Lanthimos. If I knew that... there's no way I would have watched it. He also made The Lobster which is one of the worst movies that I have ever watched. Now The Favourite... oh boy. Fucking Lanthimos... what a piece of shit director.

I can't believe I wasted 4 hours of my life watching these two pieces of pure garbage. What a disgusting feeling for my eyes and my gut. :inter:
Can you give a longer review why it sucks. The premise of Favorite looks interesting historic period drama with a good cast.

Lobster was supposed to be thought-provoking. I didnt like it either though.
But this looks like a historic biopic type of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I've finally seen "The Favourite". Wow, it was amazing! I think it's definitely my favorite Lanthimos's movie, for me it's a true masterpiece. The three actresses are sublime, and without doubt is the best performance of Emma Stone's career so far (it's good to see her like that, after that thing called La La Land)...but my favourite has been Rachel Weisz, who literally eats the screen.
Another of its strengths is the careful staging, risking in amazing planes (a panoramic that is so forced that generates a brutal sensation) that recreate an oppressive atmosphere in each tour of the palace, accompanied by that fantastic music that sounds in the moment that has to sound.
Simply fantastic (I think the retractors of Lanthimos are going to surrender to this one). The best film of 2018 that I saw so far, can only be dethroned by Suspiria de Luca Guadagnino that I'll watch it in the cinema in a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Great actor. Have you seen "A History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises"?
But Dostoevsky said it sucks.

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018

l8EP1dU.gif

But Dostoevsky said it sucks.
I think we have very different moviegoers tastes, so don't be guided by that :lol:. I consider The Favourite a more "conventional" film to be from Lanthimos, so I thought that it could even please its detractors...but no.

By the way, I've seen another Hitchcock movie, his first sound movie, and the first sound film from British cinema. Blackmail.
It has that stamp of his, that is unmistakable since its inception, but it's a very insipid film with an ending that not even Hitchcock himself wanted it. It's also true that with The Lodger he left the stick very high to himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)