Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (33 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I believe @Juvenann was initially only really trying to say that movies can be incredibly enriching in their own way, a different experience from books.

Myself, I don’t see much point in comparing the two, the mediums are vastly different, they allow us to experience stories in two extraordinary ways. I adore books and spend substantially more time reading than watching films, etc... but I also see a huge amount of value in the film medium. Immersing oneself in the films of Tarkovsky, for example, can be an almost transcendent experience.

- - - Updated - - -

It's great to watch many movies, they are as enriching as a book (from another perspective, of course, and depending on what movies you see) :tup:.

I've seen the movie last night, thank you very much for the recommendation. It's a great film, a very peculiar surrealist tale. The end disappointed me a little, after everything that happened, but it's compensated by the wonderful way in which all the journey that the protagonist undertakes is filmed, makes you feel that you are inside that world, it's great. Those scenographiess, that lighting :tuttosport:.
:tup:

There’s an oblique and delirious quality to the film. I love the poetic way in which he melds and blurs the lines of sleep, death, and dreams. The film omits some of the more fantastical and outlandish scenes from the book, but perhaps that’s a good thing due to the era.

The Saragossa Manuscript is my favourite of his. I love the nesting doll nature of the tales within, how elliptical it is, disorienting, and the way the tales seem to infiltrate one another subtly to create one overarching narrative of gothic nightmare.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I believe @Juvenann was initially only really trying to say that movies can be incredibly enriching in their own way, a different experience from books.
And I highly doubt she meant that. He said as enriching as a book. It pretty much means they are on the same level judging by those words.

You read about a sunset described on a couple of pages. You read how they are catching a fish and it lasts for 100 pages which is astonishing. In a movie, though, you see that in 10-20 seconds and that's about it. And of course I'm not comparing a movie like Avengers with the best books. Majority of the best books ever written can never be placed into a movie as it'd be a total disaster while I'm pretty sure that every movie could be placed within a book. There are some books that you spend literally days and days reading (or weeks) while every movie is pretty much 2.5h long. It's obvious that more depth is in a book.

The mediums are totally different and each offer unique things. I'm not even bitching about movies as they are one of my fav things in life. I absolutely love things that books don't offer and it's music and it's acting. You see something live and breathe. Having said that, I'd also say books awake more creativity, as you have to imagine things on your own while you read and in the movies you get the final product. When you see a sunset on the screen it doesn't leave you with much to imagine. Then there's the budget. They'd need 50-250 million euros to make a movie and a whole crew working while it takes one guy to write a book. Majority of the time it's the book that turns out better.

Now, yes, there are plenty of movies that are better than some books. But that doesn't mean that the medium itself is better or that is has more depth. I'm also pretty sure if you get a person to read 100 books and other person to watch 100 movies that one person would come out brighter and smarter. It was the one holding the books IMO.

Shortly, yeah, I do that that both mediums are amazing in their own way. Comparing the two is hard, that too, but what Juveann said was rather stupid.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
That's exactly what I wanted to say, thank you :tup:. That's why I said "from another perspective", because they are completely different experiences but they can be equally enriching, each in its own way and with its resources. The comparison, I just made it cause it was also talking about books a few messages above, but I'm not saying that audiovisual art is better than literature, on the contrary, I love books too, I love reading.

I thought that it was not necessary to explain it, nor that it would be necessary to say that what I write is a personal opinion and not the supreme truth.
For my part, I leave the debate here :tup:. Maybe I should just comment if I liked or not the last movie I've seen.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You get the point though. :p

Since you're on a Wenders bender, you should watch The Salt of the Earth. Big claim, but it's one of my favorite documentaries of all time. Really gives you perspective on life.
Oh shit I totally went over that. I didn't even notice it when I was making a list.

Sounds really great. I'll probably watch it this weekend :tup:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Did you like it? Have you seen more German expressionist films?
My favourite German expressionist film is 'Ballermann 6' by one of the greatest German avant-garde minds Tom Gerhardt. It's a cunning deconstruction of the post-industrial society on the vibrant example of a disenfranchised subculture's struggle to find a place for itself, leaving the audience with no illusions yet dare give a positive outlook. Monumental Masterpiece.

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
My favourite German expressionist film is 'Ballermann 6' by one of the greatest German avant-garde minds Tom Gerhardt. It's a cunning deconstruction of the post-industrial society on the vibrant example of a disenfranchised subculture's struggle to find a place for itself, leaving the audience with no illusions yet dare give a positive outlook. Monumental Masterpiece.
I didn't know that movie, I don't doubt that it's a masterpiece of German expressionism. Thanks for the recommendation, I trust the Germans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 23)