Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (354 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Scarecrow with Al Pacino and Gene Hackman. First time watching it in about 10 years.

Definatly my favourite Al Pacino performance and surely one of if not his best. Gene Hackman was also amazing.

Tomorrow i'll watch one of Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Virtigo or Rear window

Ive never seen any of them before and now Ive a long list of movies to get through as for a long time ive always been put off watching more popular movies. I guess i was saving them for a rainy day or something.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
@Juvenann

You should watch Shadow of a Doubt too.

What did you think of The Paradine Case? I haven't seen it.
This is one of the movies that I wouldn't recommend. It's a judicial melodrama with unbearably stupid and corny characters. It's also extremely boring and predictable. I don't know if I'm being objective because Peck and Valli are bad actors for me, but the love of the character of Peck to Valli is so forced and implausible that I can't feel interest in the story. And not only is the script, (it seems that they have been very lazy and they haven't wanted to tell us how the lawyer fell in love with his client, simply Peck has limited himself to make an intense face every time he saw Valli, for the requirement of a script), this pair of actors lacks chemistry.

In my opinion, Hitchcock is an irregular director, cause he did bad jobs (well, he was never happy with any of his films :lol:), but still I think he's a genius.

Then I comment a little about the other films. A long time ago I have Shadow of a Doubt pending @Post Ironic I'll watch it :tup:.

- - - Updated - - -

Scarecrow with Al Pacino and Gene Hackman. First time watching it in about 10 years.

Definatly my favourite Al Pacino performance and surely one of if not his best. Gene Hackman was also amazing.

Tomorrow i'll watch one of Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Virtigo or Rear window

Ive never seen any of them before and now Ive a long list of movies to get through as for a long time ive always been put off watching more popular movies. I guess i was saving them for a rainy day or something.
Watch Citizen Kane first!

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Citizen Kane

So first time watching. I can understand why it was so revolutionary and considered a masterpiece.

I enjoyed it mostly because of Orsen Welles acting performance, the story at times felt uninteresting but he always made me feel charmed and intrigued. I was glued to the screen even though i felt like the story itself was slightly boring. The reveal didnt blow my mind but it was a nice touch.

I understand why its loved by so many and its age has to be considered when appreciating why it is such a great movie but if you dont consider when it was made and judge it as a movie on its on then i think its far from being the greatest movie of all time.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Citizen Kane

So first time watching. I can understand why it was so revolutionary and considered a masterpiece.

I enjoyed it mostly because of Orsen Welles acting performance, the story at times felt uninteresting but he always made me feel charmed and intrigued. I was glued to the screen even though i felt like the story itself was slightly boring. The reveal didnt blow my mind but it was a nice touch.

I understand why its loved by so many and its age has to be considered when appreciating why it is such a great movie but if you dont consider when it was made and judge it as a movie on its on then i think its far from being the greatest movie of all time.
Which movies do you consider the greatest of all time?

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Which movies do you consider the greatest of all time?
My personal greatest or in general?

Personally these are some of my favourites which i feel can be condsiderd as some of the greatest ever... in no order:

The Shawshank Redemption
12 Angry Men
Goodfellas
Gladiator
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now

Then i have some personal favourites that i know may not be near the greatest in technical terms:

Forest Gump
Apocolypto
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Boogie Nights
Drive
The Shining
Donnie Darko
Platoon
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
Heat
Magnolia
City of God
Moon
Kung Fu Hustle
The Lost Boys
Stand by Me
Whiplash
American Psycho

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Well, I will comment briefly on the films that I named before (sorry for my English, once again).

Frenzy: Is one of Hitch's best work. It was his last "false guilty" of his filmography and the return also to his London beginnings. I haven't seen the two films before this one, but I don't think they reach the quality of Frenzy. It keeps the intrigue all the time and the ending is very good, with a comic touch.

Marnie: With the talent that Hitchcock has shown, it's because of this type of film that I'm a bit demanding with him. I don't understand how in the '60s, with all the tools and money that he had, he made this film. It has some very bad special effects and with the protagonist couple the same thing happens in The Paradine Case. Bad performances and zero feeling between them.
More than two hours enduring Tippi Hedren playing a girl traumatized by her past.

The birds: I saw it when I was a child and I remember that I liked it, but a few months ago I went back to watch it and it seemed like a forgettable film. It's not bad, it's fine for a Sunday afternoon if you have nothing better to do. And here I have also endured Tippi Hedren, but this time traumatized by the birds (and by Hitchcock too, surely).

Psycho: I have nothing bad to say about this movie, but in my opinion it's just a good movie. Not at all seems to me a masterpiece. Maybe the first time I watched it I had very high expectations because of how iconic it is, but with the viewings I haven't changed my mind. It's just a good movie with an unforgettable soundtrack.

Rebecca: One of my favorites from him. It can sin of soap opera at times, but it's still a masterpiece for me. Mix romance, drama and psychological trhiller. That naive Joan Fontaine without a name and that Laurence Olivier dark and complex (and a bit bipolar) ... it seems that we are before another story about "the good girl who falls in love with the bad boy", but no. Also the character of Judith Anderson is spectacular.
This movie is also long, however there are no minutes left at all. And if I had to face Rebecca, it would be Hedy Lamarr.

Vertigo: Another of his best films, an essential classic. Another psychological thriller that hides a sick love story. A self-portrait of Hitchcock, in short.
I think that as soon as you see that fascinating opening you know that you find yourself with a masterpiece.

North by northwest: Something funny happens to me with this movie. It seems so bad and so good at the same time ... it's pure entertainment. We already know that Hitchcock hated verisimilitude, but I think there's a limit. It's such an absurd movie that when I began to watch it as a parody I finally enjoyed it. Cary Grant has a big problem, he's incapable of being serious, everything he does brings it to comedy, it's so annoying ... but I loved him at the auction scene, and I loved his mother who was younger than him:rofl:.
But ... this is the best scene in the whole movie, without a doubt
nxnw03.gif

To Catch a thief: One of the worst films in his filmography. Visually it's beautiful, it has an excellent photography, but the script is very bad. It's a waste of time.

Notorious: It's an entertaining movie but it doesn't bring anything new, nor does it have anything remarkable. I really like Ingrid Bergman, it's a shame that she had to share two movies with Cary Grant (Indiscret is the other one, please don't watch it).

Strangers on a train: I liked it so much that I bought the book (I liked it too) after seeing it. It's the kind of movie I expect from Hitchcock, although he has a couple of things a little exaggerated, typical of his movies. I recommend it and I recommend the book. You can also imagine a handsome Bruno :klin:.

The man who knew too much (1956): I haven't seen the version of Peter Lorre, but this one is fine, except for the last half hour that bored me and in my opinion it had a hasty ending.

Rear window: Only movie in which I like the performance of Grace Kelly, also his character is charming. I remember that I didn't like this film very much the first time I watched it, but over time it was winning me and now I think it's one of his best works. That cool world "with its dead people in the closets" ... I feel like I'm another participant with Jimmy and Grace spying on their neighbors.

Dial M for murder: The best thing about this film is the photography. I love all the planning of the murder and the famous scene, but after that I lost interest in what was happening. Grace Kelly is such a bad actress and so insipid that I couldn't connect with her character. At times I thought I was watching a telefilm from an Agatha Christie's story.

I Confess: I recommended it to a friend a few years ago, and he hates me ever since :lol:. For me it's one of the best films of Hitchcock, starring one of my favorite actors, the great Monty Clift who plays the taciturn and abstracted priest, wonderfully. Very undervalued and perhaps obfuscated by later films that are cinematographically more spectacular (North by Northwest, for example), but not superior in my opinion.

Lifeboat: The movie is basically about 8 stupid stranded in a boat, who talk a lot of stupid things and do few productive things.

Suspicion: It's very entertaining and simple. Even Cary Grant I liked here, with his Joan stunned, I love this couple. The bad thing is that once again the ending is very precipitate, although the script spin is very good.
But please, don't wacth the colorized version, it's very shabby. You have to see the original with b&w photography.

The Lady Vanishes: A film that mixes intrigue and comedy. To this day it may look obsolete, especially because of the shooting scene.
But it's very enjoyable, in addition is Michael Redgrave handsome with his irresistible English accent.

Secret Agent: This is funny, cause it brings together things that I am criticizing from the other movies, but for some strange reason I liked it a lot. I admit that I have a weakness for John Gielgud, and I was surprised to see that he worked with Hitch :touched:.

Number 17: An interesting rarity. The bad thing is that its final stretch isn't so good and ruins what at first promised to be great. The little I remember about this movie is that it has one of the best start of Hitchcock's filmography. I think the idea is interesting but it could have taken more juice. I have to review it to know if I change my opinion, it's also true that I saw it in a painful quality.

Murder!: For me it was a pleasant surprise. I have read bad reviews of this film, however I found it very good, although not excellent.
I love the performance of the girl, with her look says it all. And I felt sorry for the murderer...

The Lodger: First and only silent film I've seen of Hitchcock. It's really good, with the seal of a director who was already clear about what he wanted. Very advanced to its time, with a fascinating photography influenced by the German expressionism. And the instant Ivor Novello enters that house, you can't just take your eyes off him. How magnetic he was, if he had worked more in his role as an actor he could have become "the Welsh Conrad Veidt" (although it would be difficult to reach him).:bow:
I want to see more films from the silent era of Hitchcock, but I don't think any of them are as good as The Lodger, that's why I haven't encouraged myself yet.

@Dostoevsky if you want, I'll remove Rich and Strange, Spellbound and Foreign Correspondent from the list, cause I don't remember anything about them. I only know that they bored me so much that I don't want to watch them again :lol3:.
Btw, if you liked Rope you have to watch Compulsion.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Now that's a detailed post :tup: thank you for that. I'll keep on eye on those gems surely. Thanks a bunch.
You're welcome :oops:

Something that I love about Hitchcock, is the interior design of almost all his films. I'm a lover of decoration and it's something that I focus on in movies, and the artistic direction in general of almost all his films never disappoints me.

Vandamm-House-Interior.jpg

83a7e2407447380ea5de19e2e304ef04.png

1419401335923.png

hitchcock_dial_m_for_murder_gallery_photo_9_new.jpg

rope9.jpg
rope11.jpg

atrapa-a-un-ladron-1955-alfred-hitchcock-original.jpg

DJyakwEUEAEJFVY.jpg
rebecca-fontaine-in-the-house.jpg

a341f1bc3f60cbc0aabb01281b792697.png

gavin-estler-offices.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-03-08-03h15m27s348.png

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:D I usually look at the inner part, so I can't say it caught my eye. Can't really say you're wrong, though. Still, it's usually aristocratic set-up.

Today I watched a movie with my dad. It was Mandariinid and it's probably the biggest surprise that I've seen this year. I totally loved it and I think it's an incredible movie. I loved every second of it while ending is really great. It's so great to see what they managed to make with only 4 actors and with not many lines (yet those lines that were in the movie were incredible). A-m-a-z-i-n-g. Loved it, loved it!

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:D I usually look at the inner part, so I can't say it caught my eye. Can't really say you're wrong, though. Still, it's usually aristocratic set-up.

Today I watched a movie with my dad. It was Mandariinid and it's probably the biggest surprise that I've seen this year. I totally loved it and I think it's an incredible movie. I loved every second of it while ending is really great. It's so great to see what they managed to make with only 4 actors and with not many lines (yet those lines that were in the movie were incredible). A-m-a-z-i-n-g. Loved it, loved it!
:tup:

Fantastic film. Georgia has an interesting film industry. Have you watched Corn Island? 2014 Georgian film. Another quiet film with few actors.

You should also check out Gaseirneba Karabaghshi(2005), Udzinarta Mze(1992), and Blue Mountains, or Unbelievable Story (1983). All excellent.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Fantastic film. Georgia has an interesting film industry. Have you watched Corn Island? 2014 Georgian film. Another quiet film with few actors.

You should also check out Gaseirneba Karabaghshi(2005), Udzinarta Mze(1992), and Blue Mountains, or Unbelievable Story (1983). All excellent.
This was the first one! And I'm rarely under such impression. I knew it would be good. I knew it. But I had no idea it would blow me away like it did. Ivo was brilliant.

I will definitely check that out.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Tochinoshin, best thing to come out of georgia after ioseb

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
Fight Club
The Shining
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Moon
:sheik:

My personal list (not a "lets measure and see who has a bigger dick" post :p):
2001: A Space Oddysey
The Empire Strikes Back
The Servant
The Godfather
Rosemary's Baby
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
A Clockwork Orange
On the Waterfront
Full Metal Jacket
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
A Streetcar Named Desire
Dunkirk
Rope
Pride and Prejudice
Dog Day Afternoon
Mommy
Death in Venice
Naked Lunch
Suspiria
Evil Dead
Death at a Funeral
Phantom of the Paradise
Magical Girl
Seconds
Get Carter
Dr. Strangelove
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Tenant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 337)