Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (45 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Watched Deadpool last night. After hearing so much about it I really expected something great. And I was left disappointed. It had some funny moments but I really don't know what blew the audience. To me, this movie was totally average. On a drunk-ish night I'd give this one 7/10 but right now it's like 6.5. Meh. Disappointed.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Watched Deadpool last night. After hearing so much about it I really expected something great. And I was left disappointed. It had some funny moments but I really don't know what blew the audience. To me, this movie was totally average. On a drunk-ish night I'd give this one 7/10 but right now it's like 6.5. Meh. Disappointed.
:agree:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
It literally has one of the sickest death scenes I've seen in quite some time. @ALC stuff. Really good overlooked movie.
I should check it out then!

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps the issue is that you care so much to call out someone's opinion as a "pretentious rant" and call them "unnecessarily uptight", because you don't agree with them. :p (as an aside, it's not really a big deal, we all have a tendency to go after those we disagree with, I know I certainly do :D )

Both CK and I were laughing at IMDB ratings. I said pretty damn hilarious. He said "fuck this generation" with little laughter things.

What I find amusing is that anyone who criticizes anything mainstream is immediately labelled pretentious. It's used so often that it has really lost any meaning and impact.

He even said it's probably a funny movie. I enjoy a ton of mainstream movies that are "fun" and "entertaining"... But critical thinking is still an important ability and one that allows you to analyze the quality of a film, book, artwork, musical composition, etc, outside of that initial "this is fun and entertaining" or "this is not fun and entertaining" reaction. I mean we were literally talking about entertaining penny dreadfuls can be, in the very same posts.

@catch22 While I understand what you're saying and like you I enjoy many different films from all over the cinematic map, I also would like to believe I can step back from a film experience afterwards and think a little about what sort of value the film has, whether pure entertainment (Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, most comedies, etc) or purely informative and enlightening (documentaries), or a mix of entertaining, informative, provocative, challenging, etc (masterpieces of cinema). The last category is why I wouldn't ever rate a film like Deadpool up there with a film like Stalker or 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's just not in the same realm, it offers incredibly little in comparison.
I know I pick on you from time to time. Reading this post just makes me realize how right I am. It is the most hipster thing I've ever read.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Agreed, saw some very high ratings, also heard many positive reviews. Some parts were nice but there really was no need to insert sex/balls/dick/blowjob jokes in every scene.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Deadpool is a peculiar case. This movie was made for comic book nerds and most of them will think it was great. For other people it will be a "Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back With Swords and Guns and Mutants". Meaning it is fun and cool but nothing extraordinary.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Midnight in Paris, what a charming movie. The Dali scene :rofl:

Made me wanna watch an old movie called the exterminating angel by Bunuel, due a joke in the film.

Also Lea Seydoux

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I thought Deadpool was hilarious. But then I watched it with my brother and a couple of mates, and it is just the sort of slapstick plus toilet humour I'm familiar with. How do you even critique a movie like that? Don't bother.

Actually the scene where he breaks his wrists and ankles fighting Colossus and the end scene with the Hugh Jackman mask had me nearly in tears. It was like an x-rated Naked Gun.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I thought Deadpool was hilarious. But then I watched it with my brother and a couple of mates, and it is just the sort of slapstick plus toilet humour I'm familiar with. How do you even critique a movie like that? Don't bother.

Actually the scene where he breaks his wrists and ankles fighting Colossus and the end scene with the Hugh Jackman mask had me nearly in tears. It was like an x-rated Naked Gun.
Lol same for me. I absolutely loved it and thought it was hilarious. Reynolds was perfect for the role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)