Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (45 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Just came back from watching Joker. It's pretty much what I expected after I saw 1/2 of the trailer. It's a drama, psycho thriller movie. It's pretty much a slow-ish build up of Jokers origin. Puts you in a position to see how much he's fucked up and why exactly. The way it was filmed was amazing, those shots were really powerful and dark. The subtle way of his development remind of Japanese manga where they focus on small details like his walk, dance and silent moment, some that was surely taken from the comics -- which is always a plus in my book. Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant. That was fucking amazing. Also, I advise people 1) stop comparing it to Ledger 2) judge it as a standalone movie. IMO, both Ledger and Phoenix were brilliant and, while I probably more admire Ledger, I think it's literally two different Jokers. One is the fresh one that's making his way of a psychopath and the other one (Ledger) is a mature psychopath. So I think it's wrong to compare the two. I think Phoenix was amazing at this role, surely an Oscar nominee and imo the best pick for Joker surely. I read quite a lot of Betman comics and I do like the movie even from that point of view. I have two negative things about it (I guess it's a spoiler...)

Two things I didn't like. First was how Joker wasn't made smart. He's actually quite smart and many times he outsmarted Batman who's the smartest detective out there. In this movie they show him as a crazy nuts guy -- which was totally nailed -- but other aspects were avoided. Second thing was the timeline and the unnecessary kills of Wayne family (yet again). Bruce was just a small kid in this movie while Joker is like, what, 40yo? That means Batman would become Batman in like 25 years time which makes Joker old enough for a retirement home. I like how old Wayne was a mayor candidate but they should have left it at that. There was no need to show Bruce, let alone kill parents which is totally off the timeline imo.

Long story short: I really enjoyed it. It's hyped up for a reason and it's worth watching it in the cinema. :tup:

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Just came back from watching Joker. It's pretty much what I expected after I saw 1/2 of the trailer. It's a drama, psycho thriller movie. It's pretty much a slow-ish build up of Jokers origin. Puts you in a position to see how much he's fucked up and why exactly. The way it was filmed was amazing, those shots were really powerful and dark. The subtle way of his development remind of Japanese manga where they focus on small details like his walk, dance and silent moment, some that was surely taken from the comics -- which is always a plus in my book. Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant. That was fucking amazing. Also, I advise people 1) stop comparing it to Ledger 2) judge it as a standalone movie. IMO, both Ledger and Phoenix were brilliant and, while I probably more admire Ledger, I think it's literally two different Jokers. One is the fresh one that's making his way of a psychopath and the other one (Ledger) is a mature psychopath. So I think it's wrong to compare the two. I think Phoenix was amazing at this role, surely an Oscar nominee and imo the best pick for Joker surely. I read quite a lot of Betman comics and I do like the movie even from that point of view. I have two negative things about it (I guess it's a spoiler...)

Two things I didn't like. First was how Joker wasn't made smart. He's actually quite smart and many times he outsmarted Batman who's the smartest detective out there. In this movie they show him as a crazy nuts guy -- which was totally nailed -- but other aspects were avoided. Second thing was the timeline and the unnecessary kills of Wayne family (yet again). Bruce was just a small kid in this movie while Joker is like, what, 40yo? That means Batman would become Batman in like 25 years time which makes Joker old enough for a retirement home. I like how old Wayne was a mayor candidate but they should have left it at that. There was no need to show Bruce, let alone kill parents which is totally off the timeline imo.

Long story short: I really enjoyed it. It's hyped up for a reason and it's worth watching it in the cinema. :tup:
It’s because the film is supposed to have nothing to do with the comics.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. I saw it in 70mm.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I just got out of theatre. Seriously hardcore emotional deep dive to a really sad and dark psyche. Extremely stunning and powerful work.

Origin stories from now one need to be this meticulous and in depth.
That's one audacious movie and Phoenix sure did immersed himself into his character. Boy did it get uncomfortable at times

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Green Book - Viggo as italian immigrant bouncer in the Bronx in the 60s already was worth it but Mahershala Ali was brillant as well
The House That Jack Built - sensationalist tedious Lars von Hack garbage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)