Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (45 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Police Story (1985) - I enjoyed it. Considering the year I'd say it had some powerful shots and it was nicely filmed. Nice and relaxing movie with good ol' Jackie.

The 400 Blows - I can't say I'm well familiar with the French cinema as I only watched some movies, but I really enjoyed this one and I think it's a great movie.
Watch more of La Nouvelle Vague (or associated French films of that era).

La Maman et la Putain
La Nuit Americaine
Jules Et Jim
Hiroshima Mon Amour
L'Annee Derniere a Marienbad
Muriel
La Collectionneuse
A Bout de Souffle
Pierrot La Fou
Elevator to the Gallows
Les Cousins

etc etc

Or some classic French films in general.

Le Samourai
The Wages of Fear
Le Silence de la Mer
Orphee
Les Diaboliques
A Man Escaped
Les Enfants du Paradis
Manon
La Grande Illusion
La Regle du Jeu
Le Silence est d'Or

- - - Updated - - -

Nouvelle vague it's a pretentious cinema like the Swedish cinema, Bergman included.
Blanket labelling an entire movement in cinema as pretentious is just lazy. I doubt you've watched enough of La Nouvelle Vague, or Swedish Cinema/Bergman to make such a statement about it anyways. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Reeducation camp? :snoop:

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Blanket labelling an entire movement in cinema as pretentious is just lazy. I doubt you've watched enough of La Nouvelle Vague, or Swedish Cinema/Bergman to make such a statement about it anyways. :p
Shut up, pedant. To my disgrace I have seen enough to hate it. Especially Bergman, I've tried a thousand ways, but I can't, I simply repels his movies :yuck: . Although, he was a good man and he was hot.

The English, Italian and German films are a thousand times better in general :agree:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
A Star Is Born - So I watched it last night. For some unknown reason I was expecting something from this movie, dunno if that was because of Cooper or not, and hell, it was delivered. I really enjoyed it and I think it's a pretty great movie. I know Cooper delivers as an actor but he was awesome in this one, just like it's awesome how went his directing debut. But man, a surprise of the night surely was Lady Gaga. Holy crap, that girl can act and it was great. Her voice is insane, no doubt about that, and if gets Oscar nomination it might as well be for the girl role (?) and music (?). It's nothing like Stalker, Inception or Memento. You pretty much know what to expect. Even before seeing it I could have guessed majority of the things that will happen, but that's not it, as it was not meant to be a mind-fuck movie nor a confusing one. It's just a drama, fading career and a rising one spiced with the life of star(s) with great acting. I had no idea Dave Chappelle was in the movie, it was nothing big, but kinda surprised to see him there. Pretty good experience. I recommend watching.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut - I enjoyed it. It was well paced and enjoyable escape. Bresson has got to be one of my favorite directors at the moment. He has some really amazing movies.

Orphée - Oh, astonishing movie. It was just beautiful and it was the biggest surprise in quite a while and I certainly did not expect this. It just had everything. It was well written, it had good pace and the minor details and big mystery gripped my neck tight. It takes a mastermind to create something this unique and big IMO. Seeing how it was made in 50s makes me wonder how movies today are that shit. This one is just.. art. I wonder if Cocteau made something big as this one, or if this was peak of his career and creativity. I think I'll check him out.

Jules et Jim - Out of all movies that I recently watched, I liked this one the least. It just wasn't for me I guess. I found it overrated and it couldn't get through me despite several good attempts. I expect a whole lot more from Truffault after seeing Les quatre cents coups. It felt like they tried too much to show little.

I also caught Step Up (1, 2) on the TV and watched it. The dancing is incredible. But the movie itself, dialog and acting is beyond horrible. It's actually disgusting how bad it was. Still, good dancing I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)