Mourinho Quits Chelsea! (12 Viewers)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
I'm personally not too impressed with Avram Grant. The people he's worked with have given him rather lukewarm endorsement of his credentials, with his predecessor in the Israeli NT stating that he is "great at PR but knows very little about football". Only time will tell what Roman Abramovich sees in the man, I guess.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
ßömßäяdîëя;1453405 said:
Well Stuttgart and Bremen have both won the Bundesliga title in the past 4 years, Schalke has not. Plus Dortmund just received a huge cash boost from selling their stadium rights to sponsorship. I'm not sure if that is true with Schalke, but I think that there are 3 tiers of teams:

1st Tier: Bayern

2nd Tier: Dortmund, Werder, Schalke, Stuttgart, Leverkusen.

3rd: Everyone else.
That was around 2 years ago with Schalke,i heard they got a bigs sponsorship but then nothing after that.
I know Dortmund got the cash after selling the rights and thats why they have been spending a lot recently and got out of financial trouble. But I wouldn't think its that much isn't it ?

I just don't get it, how can someone like Mourinho be overrated? leave alone what he won with Porto and Chelsea in this "short time", and take a look at his tactics and the way he changed the EPL...and I'm not the one saying Mourinho changed everything in EPL, Wenger and Ferguson stated that.

Jose is simply brilliant when it comes to formations tactics and subs... not too many coaches got his style....

and i don't see how capello won the championship can be compared to Mourinho's, capello's tactics and the way he plays his cards are horrible (from his 4-4-2 to long balls style, to his subs etc, are simply horrible and adds nothing to football, beyond what he achieved with real, milan, roma and juve.

There's a huge diff between capello and jose and i'm not saying that because of the way he treated Del Piero, but as a football follower and as a football player Mourinho is by miles ahead of Capello. Champions league stats says it all, when was the last time Capello did it to the Semi finals?? need i mention the names/squad he had??

I doubt if capello would one day take charge and I hope if one day he'll coach a team in England, i'll be very excited to see what he can add there. I guess nothing.

and on the other hand, i'm 100% sure if mourinho comes to Italy/Spain/Germany he'll add lot of great things, he'll attract lot of people/fans, not because he's arrogant but because people enjoy watching his games, he can develop any league in the world.

If Mourinho continues this way and I'm sure he will, he'll be the likes of capello not only behind him[not that he hasn't done it yet], but he can erase him with no difficulty.
I dont see how a coach that plays the defensive game to perfection changed anything ? I mean Rafa plays the exact same way, how come he didnt change anything and didn't cause a revolution although Rafa is a much better tactician than mourinho will ever be.

Mourinho played the same formation for two seasons and won two championships.The moment he had to show some flexibility and had to actually think of something else to accommodate new players, he failed and was still playing that same brand of football. The brand that everyone criticizes capello for using, the long balls. I will admit his teams changed that when they needed to but if they had the 1-0 they would stick with it without any worries.

With the CL stats, well i didn't see mourinho winning it with the great squads he had over the last few years. I give him a lot of credit for winning with porto but it was an easier road and when there was a hint of expectation with Chelsea he failed to deliver.

You keep repeating comments like "adding" and "developing", i still dont see how developed the english game more? If it was Wenger or even Ferguson you're talking about then i would've understood but i don't see how Mourinho added anything in regards to footballing terms. Those comments by people is what makes me think that he is overrated and put up against the best in history when he is not.But imo he is not one of those coaches that changed the face of football forever

He is a very good manager who knows how to get the best out of his players, with a great way of diverting the pressure away from them.Also the way his preparation for games is very good and has a good eye for what he needs in a team. But his in game management is just way overboard for me and his tactics leave alot to be desired.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Mourniho didn't add anything to English premier league, not in a short time like that.. but when you say Wenger or Ferguson changed, yes they did change the premier league forever.. and yeah, I put them above Mourinho anytime..

If Mourinho added anything to Premier league, then that's nothing but a show, with his interviews and all..

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
chelsea is looking like shit rite now, an early exit by mikel on a over the top call but apparently the ref has sent of a total of 5 players in the last 3 matches. the only person on that team that actually looks like they give a fuck is cech. sheve is soo overrated and he is proving it once again.

tevez is a good r.o.i. IMO for man u this year

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
That was around 2 years ago with Schalke,i heard they got a bigs sponsorship but then nothing after that.
I know Dortmund got the cash after selling the rights and thats why they have been spending a lot recently and got out of financial trouble. But I wouldn't think its that much isn't it ?

I dont see how a coach that plays the defensive game to perfection changed anything ? I mean Rafa plays the exact same way, how come he didnt change anything and didn't cause a revolution although Rafa is a much better tactician than mourinho will ever be.

Mourinho played the same formation for two seasons and won two championships.The moment he had to show some flexibility and had to actually think of something else to accommodate new players, he failed and was still playing that same brand of football. The brand that everyone criticizes capello for using, the long balls. I will admit his teams changed that when they needed to but if they had the 1-0 they would stick with it without any worries.

With the CL stats, well i didn't see mourinho winning it with the great squads he had over the last few years. I give him a lot of credit for winning with porto but it was an easier road and when there was a hint of expectation with Chelsea he failed to deliver.

You keep repeating comments like "adding" and "developing", i still dont see how developed the english game more? If it was Wenger or even Ferguson you're talking about then i would've understood but i don't see how Mourinho added anything in regards to footballing terms. Those comments by people is what makes me think that he is overrated and put up against the best in history when he is not.But imo he is not one of those coaches that changed the face of football forever
He is a very good manager who knows how to get the best out of his players, with a great way of diverting the pressure away from them.Also the way his preparation for games is very good and has a good eye for what he needs in a team. But his in game management is just way overboard for me and his tactics leave alot to be desired.
I do not know what you mean by change tha game of football forever. Very few managers do that , people like Rinus Michels and whoever started 4-4-2 and 4-2-4.

Ancellotti modified a system by putting a creative player in front of the back 4 and that is about it whe it comes to revolution.

Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho have not revolutionize football and nooen ever said they did.

Wenger plays very attractive football and his diets and all are what he brought to the premiership.

Wenger does not have a plan B and that is his 1 disadvantage.

Ferguson does not know anything about tactics and that is why he always hires a coach to help in the tactical side but he is knows how to manage players.

Mourinho came on to the stage and before he did teams used to lose a lot of games and win the league but when he came, he made it virtually impossible not to start well and win the premiership.

Every team was afraid that if Chelsea were top by September then the rest were finished.

Before he came, we were all used to manchester united winning from March and taking the title but now even by November, you have to be either top or just 4 points at the most behind the leaders.

He created a team that was extremely difficult to beat, no matter how many players were on the field for them.

Chelsea before he went there, never used to win away games that often but during his time they did.

Arsenal still struggle when you get physical but Mourinho's Chelsea would match you for that

You claim he would never be as great atactician as benitez but he has beaten Benitez so many times in the league it is almost laughable.

In the league, Benitez only 1 out of 7 games with Chelsea winning 4 and drawing 2.

In cup competitions they are tied at 2 wins each.

Wenger never beat him in 10 games and he won about 6 of that

Ferguson only beat him once in 9 games and Jose won 5

But you say his tatctics leave a lot to be desired.

How can they be when his record against his topmost rivals is heavily in his favour.

You are talking like being defensive is not a tactic, where he defers from Capello is that iof something is wrong he changes it straight away and more times than not he has got it right.

Chelsea have never won the champions league but you expect that becauseof their money they could just win it like that as if its their right to do so.

Liverpool have a tradition in that tournament so they know how to play in that tournament and lets go through Benitez's first truimph

He just managed to scrape thru the group stage with Gerrard scoring a late goal against Olympiakos, okay they thoroughly beat Leverkusen

Against us, we were woeful especially at home and Capello is not tactically savvy enough to win 1 off games when it matters, he is more of a marathon man.

Having said that we had a perfectly good goal disallowed which could have made it 2-2 and anything could have happened

Against Chelsea, the Garcia goal may or may not have crossed the line

In the final they were battered pillar to post and Milan just mentally relaxed and we all know what happened

You also claim he does not know how to use players like Sheva and Ballack

Well these players were not his choice and he tried to accommodate those 2 players much to Chelsea's detriment.

Players are not forced on Fergie, Wenger or Benitez, lets see how they would have done if that was to happen.

Is Mourinho perfect? Far from it as I was not a fan of his style of play but I admired the way he could change a game that is not going his way.

He has helped to mould Joe Cole into an excellent player, Carvalho is now world class following how Mourinho worked withhim at Portugal, Terry and lampard have improved immensely. Ashley Cole is now very accomplished defender.

He helped Wright Pihillips to realise he should always defend and attack with aplomb.

Benitez had to be told by the media to play Gerrard in the middle and he has listened. Yeah, great tactitian that is.

It is not Mourinho's fault that he had money to spend at Chelsea, he is not the only manager that has had money but how many of them actually won on their first attempt?

The special one would be missed in the premiership as he raised the bar for a lot fo the teams.

Now you get teams like Birmingham, Sunderland and a lot of others being more organised that they would have been before Mourinho came along so it is wrong to say he has not added to the premiership because he has.
England have certainly benefitted from Mourinho's transforming players

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
ßömßäяdîëя;1454727 said:
So do we know who is going to take over yet?
I think Abramovich will have a long list of managers, although seeing Van Basten on the stands sitting behind Abramovich does seem odd..Well maybe he was checking out Van der Sar,hehhehe...

Maybe Grant will be given some time to prove also,obviously today's match should not be counted..Anyway good luck to Chelsea,as much as i hate them,its just no fun when its only MU,Liverpool,and Arsenal dominating...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Jose is simply brilliant when it comes to formations tactics and subs... not too many coaches got his style....

and i don't see how capello won the championship can be compared to Mourinho's, capello's tactics and the way he plays his cards are horrible (from his 4-4-2 to long balls style, to his subs etc, are simply horrible and adds nothing to football, beyond what he achieved with real, milan, roma and juve.

i guess you werent watching when Chelsea's only gameplan last season was hoofing the ball up to Drogba..i'm not saying thats how they played all season..but when things got tough that was their response..

Apr 12, 2004
I think Abramovich will have a long list of managers, although seeing Van Basten on the stands sitting behind Abramovich does seem odd..Well maybe he was checking out Van der Sar,hehhehe...

Maybe Grant will be given some time to prove also,obviously today's match should not be counted..Anyway good luck to Chelsea,as much as i hate them,its just no fun when its only MU,Liverpool,and Arsenal dominating...
We should bomb them all.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
i guess you werent watching when Chelsea's only gameplan last season was hoofing the ball up to Drogba..i'm not saying thats how they played all season..but when things got tough that was their response..
That is what happens when your 2 wingers, Joe Cole and Arjen Robben are out injured also you don't have thet many if any creative midfielders.

Having said that there were goals from midfield with Lampard scoring a lot and Ballack and Essien chipping in as well. So the tactic whether is pleasing on the eye or not was working for them.

Going back to Mourinho and his so called overrated status in the game, this is a guy that in finals alone and for me seperates the men from the boys has done very well when compared to any of the great managers of his era.

He beat Celtic in that final of Uefa, Monaco in final of Cl, manchester United of Fa cup, Arsenal and Liverpool in finals of carling cup, none of that by penalties.

Lets check out some of his comtemporaries, Capello has lost final twice against Marseilles and Ajax and won against Barcelona

Lippi won final against Ajax on penalties, wordl cup final on penalties, Intercontinental cup against River plate, lost final of cl to Milan on pens, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Wenger lost in the final for Monaco against Werder bremen, Barcelona in Cl, Chelsea in carling cup won against Man united on pen in fa cup, Newcastle

Benitez won the final against Marseille for Valencia, won cl and fa cup by pens against Milan and West ham and lost Cl to Milan

Fergie has won the fa cup against chelsea, crystal palace, newcastle,Milwall, cl against Bayern cwc he won by beating barcelona and carling cup against wigan he lost fa cup to chelsea, arsenal on pens lost coca cup to sheffield wednesday

Mourinho's Chelsea were the first ever team to defeat Fergie's Man united in the semi final of a domestic cup

First team to beat Valencia at Valencia.

1 point that we all overlooked that occured to me last nite is that Mourinho never prioritised any tournament. He wanted to win them all and gave his all in all of them.

He did not have the luxury of Benitez to just focus on Cl when he had completely given up on the league, been demolished 6-3 in the carling cup, 3-1 in the fa cup

The season before that Benitez after been knocked out of Cl just concentrated on Fa cup and that was it.

Mourinho, though has taken his squad to 2 finals of carling cup when the likes of Man united, Liverpool and to a lesser extent Arsenal have overlooked it, winnign them both.

Won the league twice and coming second once in a season where he was without for large chunks, Terry, Carvalho, Cech and Essien in midfield.

Last season he still managed to win 2 cups, went to Arsenal when they needed to win to keep in touch with manchester united without, Carvalho, Drogba, Ballack and Shevcchenko, had a player sent off, were 1-0 down and still managed to come out with a draw and if kallou was in better form might have won it at the death.

With all the crap he had to put up with backstage he still won 2 cups.

What is to say if Carvalho, Ballackand Sheva were fit for the second leg at Anfield that they maight not have gone to the final but that is all conjecture, they might have lost by a bigger margin instead of on penalties.

The guy's record speaks for itself in finals and yes he had a big squad at Chelsea but so do teams like Milan, Inter, Real Madrid, barcelona, Bayern, Manchester United and Liverpool

But Milan were far behind n the league, nowhere in coppa italia and won cl

Inter were knocked out in the second round of cl, won the league and trounced inthe final of coppa italia

Barcelona came second inthe league, out in the second round of cl, trounced 4-0 by getafe in semi final of cup

Real Madrid won the league, out in second round in cl, out in second round of cup in spain to Real betis

Man united won the league, lost in final of fa cup, out in the second round of carling cup to Southend, semis of cl to milan

Liverpool lost early rounds in both fa cup and carling cup to arsenal, 3rd in the league by a long way, lost to milan in final

Bayern came 4th in their league, and 1/4s of cl

Chelsea won the fa cup and carling cup, semis of cl and second in the league

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
That is what happens when your 2 wingers, Joe Cole and Arjen Robben are out injured also you don't have thet many if any creative midfielders.

Having said that there were goals from midfield with Lampard scoring a lot and Ballack and Essien chipping in as well. So the tactic whether is pleasing on the eye or not was working for them.

Going back to Mourinho and his so called overrated status in the game, this is a guy that in finals alone and for me seperates the men from the boys has done very well when compared to any of the great managers of his era.

He beat Celtic in that final of Uefa, Monaco in final of Cl, manchester United of Fa cup, Arsenal and Liverpool in finals of carling cup, none of that by penalties.

Lets check out some of his comtemporaries, Capello has lost final twice against Marseilles and Ajax and won against Barcelona

Lippi won final against Ajax on penalties, wordl cup final on penalties, Intercontinental cup against River plate, lost final of cl to Milan on pens, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Wenger lost in the final for Monaco against Werder bremen, Barcelona in Cl, Chelsea in carling cup won against Man united on pen in fa cup, Newcastle

Benitez won the final against Marseille for Valencia, won cl and fa cup by pens against Milan and West ham and lost Cl to Milan

Fergie has won the fa cup against chelsea, crystal palace, newcastle,Milwall, cl against Bayern cwc he won by beating barcelona and carling cup against wigan he lost fa cup to chelsea, arsenal on pens lost coca cup to sheffield wednesday

Mourinho's Chelsea were the first ever team to defeat Fergie's Man united in the semi final of a domestic cup

First team to beat Valencia at Valencia.

1 point that we all overlooked that occured to me last nite is that Mourinho never prioritised any tournament. He wanted to win them all and gave his all in all of them.

He did not have the luxury of Benitez to just focus on Cl when he had completely given up on the league, been demolished 6-3 in the carling cup, 3-1 in the fa cup

The season before that Benitez after been knocked out of Cl just concentrated on Fa cup and that was it.

Mourinho, though has taken his squad to 2 finals of carling cup when the likes of Man united, Liverpool and to a lesser extent Arsenal have overlooked it, winnign them both.

Won the league twice and coming second once in a season where he was without for large chunks, Terry, Carvalho, Cech and Essien in midfield.

Last season he still managed to win 2 cups, went to Arsenal when they needed to win to keep in touch with manchester united without, Carvalho, Drogba, Ballack and Shevcchenko, had a player sent off, were 1-0 down and still managed to come out with a draw and if kallou was in better form might have won it at the death.

With all the crap he had to put up with backstage he still won 2 cups.

What is to say if Carvalho, Ballackand Sheva were fit for the second leg at Anfield that they maight not have gone to the final but that is all conjecture, they might have lost by a bigger margin instead of on penalties.

The guy's record speaks for itself in finals and yes he had a big squad at Chelsea but so do teams like Milan, Inter, Real Madrid, barcelona, Bayern, Manchester United and Liverpool

But Milan were far behind n the league, nowhere in coppa italia and won cl

Inter were knocked out in the second round of cl, won the league and trounced inthe final of coppa italia

Barcelona came second inthe league, out in the second round of cl, trounced 4-0 by getafe in semi final of cup

Real Madrid won the league, out in second round in cl, out in second round of cup in spain to Real betis

Man united won the league, lost in final of fa cup, out in the second round of carling cup to Southend, semis of cl to milan

Liverpool lost early rounds in both fa cup and carling cup to arsenal, 3rd in the league by a long way, lost to milan in final

Bayern came 4th in their league, and 1/4s of cl

Chelsea won the fa cup and carling cup, semis of cl and second in the league
Only if I can give you more Rep. :shifty: ..

I totally agree with you :) .. Mourinho is a great coach, one of the greatest in the game right now. and the only coach who i consider focusing everywhere is Fergie ..

And even though Barca won the double in 2006 .. Reijkaard isn't a good coach by any means ..

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
I do not know what you mean by change tha game of football forever. Very few managers do that , people like Rinus Michels and whoever started 4-4-2 and 4-2-4.

Ancellotti modified a system by putting a creative player in front of the back 4 and that is about it whe it comes to revolution.

Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho have not revolutionize football and nooen ever said they did.

Wenger plays very attractive football and his diets and all are what he brought to the premiership.

Ferguson does not know anything about tactics and that is why he always hires a coach to help in the tactical side but he is knows how to manage players.

Mourinho came on to the stage and before he did teams used to lose a lot of games and win the league but when he came, he made it virtually impossible not to start well and win the premiership.

Every team was afraid that if Chelsea were top by September then the rest were finished.

Before he came, we were all used to manchester united winning from March and taking the title but now even by November, you have to be either top or just 4 points at the most behind the leaders.

He created a team that was extremely difficult to beat, no matter how many players were on the field for them.

Chelsea before he went there, never used to win away games that often but during his time they did.

Arsenal still struggle when you get physical but Mourinho's Chelsea would match you for that

You claim he would never be as great atactician as benitez but he has beaten Benitez so many times in the league it is almost laughable.

In the league, Benitez only 1 out of 7 games with Chelsea winning 4 and drawing 2.

How can they be when his record against his topmost rivals is heavily in his favour.

You are talking like being defensive is not a tactic, where he defers from Capello is that iof something is wrong he changes it straight away and more times than not he has got it right.

Chelsea have never won the champions league but you expect that becauseof their money they could just win it like that as if its their right to do so.

Liverpool have a tradition in that tournament so they know how to play in that tournament and lets go through Benitez's first truimph

He just managed to scrape thru the group stage with Gerrard scoring a late goal against Olympiakos, okay they thoroughly beat Leverkusen

Against us, we were woeful especially at home and Capello is not tactically savvy enough to win 1 off games when it matters, he is more of a marathon man.

Having said that we had a perfectly good goal disallowed which could have made it 2-2 and anything could have happened

In the final they were battered pillar to post and Milan just mentally relaxed and we all know what happened

Well these players were not his choice and he tried to accommodate those 2 players much to Chelsea's detriment.

Players are not forced on Fergie, Wenger or Benitez, lets see how they would have done if that was to happen.

Is Mourinho perfect? Far from it as I was not a fan of his style of play but I admired the way he could change a game that is not going his way.

He has helped to mould Joe Cole into an excellent player, Carvalho is now world class following how Mourinho worked withhim at Portugal, Terry and lampard have improved immensely. Ashley Cole is now very accomplished defender.

He helped Wright Pihillips to realise he should always defend and attack with aplomb.

Benitez had to be told by the media to play Gerrard in the middle and he has listened. Yeah, great tactitian that is.

It is not Mourinho's fault that he had money to spend at Chelsea, he is not the only manager that has had money but how many of them actually won on their first attempt?

The special one would be missed in the premiership as he raised the bar for a lot fo the teams.

Now you get teams like Birmingham, Sunderland and a lot of others being more organised that they would have been before Mourinho came along so it is wrong to say he has not added to the premiership because he has.
What i meant is exactly what you mentioned.He did not invent something new but that is not always linked to greatness.

I think Wenger did put in something new to english football as the style that arsenal play and go along with their training is just very different to what english football was and is.

Now i just want to clear one point and that is i dont think that Mourinho is a great tactician and tactics alone don't win you games, far from it actually.He had some good abilities all over and thats why he is a successful manager and one of the best in the modern era.

Just like you said time and again his achievements speak for themselves and nobody can deny that. However just as do that for him you can't deny the other managers like Fergie,capello and others.

Another note is stating that mourinho alone had an impact on other epl managers changing is underestimating their effects on their respective jobs.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005

This is a really long post :D

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
What i meant is exactly what you mentioned.He did not invent something new but that is not always linked to greatness.

I think Wenger did put in something new to english football as the style that arsenal play and go along with their training is just very different to what english football was and is.

Now i just want to clear one point and that is i dont think that Mourinho is a great tactician and tactics alone don't win you games, far from it actually.He had some good abilities all over and thats why he is a successful manager and one of the best in the modern era.

Just like you said time and again his achievements speak for themselves and nobody can deny that. However just as do that for him you can't deny the other managers like Fergie,capello and others.

Another note is stating that mourinho alone had an impact on other epl managers changing is underestimating their effects on their respective jobs.
You would have to clarify that for me because I fail to see how you can say that because without being a great tactician you cannot consistently outwit the top managers like he has done in his short career.

He has a better head to head with almost every top manager that he has come up against so I don't know why you are syaing he is not a great tactician.

If he was was not a great tactician, how come Wenger could not beat him? It is not as if Chelsea bully Arsenal like Bolton and Blackburn do

How come Ferguson only beat him once?

Look at the FA cup final, Man United had all the momentum coming into the final but Chelsea had all the problems but with Mourinho's tactics he was able to triumph 1-0

How come he has been able to come from behind to salvage matches on countless occasions in both at home and Europe?

Why did his Porto team wallop Ericsson's lazio 4-0? Deschamps' Monaco 3-0?

Beat Irueta's Depor who had previously walloped Milan 4-0, home and away?

Tactics Tactics Tactics and even more tactics thats what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)