Momo Sissoko (5 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Again, I want to see the numbers backing this assertion.

But that's statistics for you. They don't always tell the truth, which is common knowledge.

I bet that Blasi looks like the better player than Sissoko from his time with Juventus simply because back then we had a better team.

Well, that would lead people to believe that Sissoko's criticism is based on nothing, which it really isn't. I have no problem with playing a destroyer provided we have other good ball players in the team. So that isn't a fair opinion.

At times, it's like 1984 around here.
We're going in circles here.

You think Sissoko hampers our play & ultimately does more bad than good.
I think he does (a lot) more good than bad & was absolutely vital the last time we actually performed.

Let's leave it at that.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Maybe so, but as I said, the same statistics applied to Blasi will probably yield that we were better with him in the team.

So in short, these statistics are useless.
Well they kinda are, especially for last season.
I'm pretty sure that in 2007/08 and 2008/09 our defense was much more exposed and thus conceded more whenever Sissoko didn't play. I think that was the general impression in these forums too.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Fact is though, Sissoko doesnt fit well in Del Neri's 4-4-2. Del Neri's 4-4-2 usually have one central midfielder who distributes from the back and one who goes from box to box, to be an additional outlet for the wingers or fullbacks to pass to. We all know, we dont want to see Sissoko on the ball too often..

Add to that he HAS really dropped in the hierarchy.. Used to be one of the first on the teamsheet for Ranieri, rightly so I might add, but now he is fourth choise really.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure that in 2007/08 and 2008/09 our defense was much more exposed and thus conceded more whenever Sissoko didn't play. I think that was the general impression in these forums too.
Sissoko was key to that system, because Juve were playing a high defensive line and so needed to put lots of pressure on the opposition midfield.

He's far less useful in the sort of possession based system Juve tried under Ferrara last season.

I don't see him being that useful in Del Neri's system, because he tends to require discipline from the central midfielders defensively, rather than looking to them press the ball hard high up the pitch.

I would have sold him instead of Poulsen, if a decent offer had come in.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
And I'd agree with that during Sissoko's first full year here.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Not sure I agree there, Red.

Del Neri usually plays a high defensive line as well. He calls it an elastic defence himself. Well with Sampdoria he toned it down a bit, but his atalanta and chievo teams played with defensive lines that followed the action up and down.

Also Del Neri requires his central midfielders to be very dynamic. Sissoko likes to go both ways, it's just he is clueless on the ball.. Melo and Marchisio fit very well in DN's system, but not together on the pitch. I guess Del Neri will have to change his system a bit anyway, as Aquilani isn't really a player that sits back either. Finally, DN's system usually asks a lot from the fullbacks..

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

You need to get over yourself. I talk shit to you 99% of the time because I don't like you. Personally, I find you to be one of the most subjective posters on the forum, one who has a knack for being a little twit when it comes to certain player discussions. So no, you're not 99% of the forum, no matter how much you'd like to be. You don't speak for the entire forum either.

You claimed that I hold double standards in critiquing Sissoko and Amauri. The burden of proof is on YOU. You insinuated that I blame Sissoko for all problems we face. Again, the burden of proof is on YOU.

Yes, I do blame Sissoko for hampering our possession. He's the guy who can't complete passes in a system where the CM needs to be adept at it. A professional footballer should be able to complete simple passes consistently, but he can't do that, never could. Momo was great in his first six months here from a defensive perspective, decent in the following six months, but ever since then he hasn't even been useful defensively. The trend in his performances is down and that needs to be addressed, just like Amauri's form.

But the fact that Amauri is brought up in here proves my point that he receives more shit than necessary. If there was any real evidence in support of Sissoko, then the whole Amauri discussion wouldn't have been brought up. So you're actually destroying the credibility in defending Momo, not providing him support.

But hey, thanks for wasting everyone's time, Vlatko.
I like myself, why should I get over myself. And no, you don't talk shit to me, I draw it out of you because you are too predictable and too easy.

But your problem is that you constantly talk shit about other posters, you talk shit about our players and our staff. You have this attitude that is appaling, whenever you don't have things go your way, you resort to petty insults.

Double standards, yes, you have them. There's no other explanation why you would defend Amauri and talk shit about Sissoko, really there isn't.

I did not insinuate anythign, you are the one that said Sissoko is partly to blame for our lack of creating chances, did you not? Stand by your words, everyone makes himself look funny from time to time, it's not so bad.

Why is it that flaw of Sissoko was not as evident 2 years ago? When he played with Zanetti, Camo and Nedved in the midfield? Why did we not talk shit about Sissoko's passing then? Because it was a more balanced midfield, not too mention more talented, as compared to what we had the previous year. For someone who thinks of himself understanding football, really, the obvious easily gets by you. Sissoko was never adept at passing or creating, it's ridiculous we're even discussing this. But he's the best at what he does, we just need to fix our other problems and he will shine like he did with Ranieri.

Amauri was brought in point only to show your hypocrisy, for the umpteenth time. Answer me this; how else do you justify constantly standing by Amauri and at the same time talking absolute shit about Sissoko? Both were shit last year, Amauri was good for half a season 2 seasons ago, Sissoko was good for a whole season. Double standards if I ever saw them.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Not sure I agree there, Red.

Del Neri usually plays a high defensive line as well. He calls it an elastic defence himself. Well with Sampdoria he toned it down a bit, but his atalanta and chievo teams played with defensive lines that followed the action up and down.

Also Del Neri requires his central midfielders to be very dynamic. Sissoko likes to go both ways, it's just he is clueless on the ball.. Melo and Marchisio fit very well in DN's system, but not together on the pitch. I guess Del Neri will have to change his system a bit anyway, as Aquilani isn't really a player that sits back either. Finally, DN's system usually asks a lot from the fullbacks..
I'm not saying Del Neri will play a deep defence, but Ranieri had Juve playing an incredibly high line with a very aggressive offside trap.

I can't recall how his teams defended before he went to Samp, so I'll take your word for how he played at Atalanta and Chievo.

I was only saying he tends to look for discipline from the central midfielders defensively, as he seems to look to them to hold shape, rather than chasing around after the ball, like Sissoko does.

Sissoko is a nice tactical option to have in the squad, but he wouldn't be in my starting XI very often.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Agreed, and that's how I reckon Sissoko is seen by DN as well. I think he appreciates what he can do, but will rarely start him over the other three central midfielders.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
You really don't seem to understand what I'm trying to say.

The proof is not in the matches, the proof is in the results at the end of the day. We scored more & conceded less with Momo in the team. And that's a fact.

And for the umpteenth time, I'm well aware of the fact that it's not only due to Sissoko's presence. I really am.
However, you keep going on about how he hampers our play, when the numbers point in exactly the opposite direction. Which leads me to believe that you come to that conlusion (which is an opinion) because Momo's (and subsequently the team's) style of play is not your own preferred style.
swish!

+rep

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
I dont think sissoko suits the system to a tee as such, but i dont exactly believe Melo is any better for the system, because although he can pass better than sissoko and probably looks better on the ball overall, i think melo isnt good at breaking down the opposition attacks. This is something that sissoko is good at.

so either way, i think this team is going to suffer in that DM area simply because we need to clone sissoko and melo and through them in a blender and get a player that resembles their mix.

The other issue is that Aquilani and Marchisio are downhill skiers. They are by no means monsters in that defensive midfielder area.

A bif reality is that DN and Marotta have limited themselves with this team. The squad has been built for a one dimensional 4-4-2 formation...the tactics are limited, and many players dont really suit what he wants. This is something that puzzles me.

If DN underperforms, the club cant get rid of him unless they bring someone else in who has the same tactics and mentality. We have lost players who can change the way we play such as diego and giovinco...now we are limited.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
He can also play in 4-2-3-1 formation i reckon.. He played with that system under Benitez in Pool and when we use that formation last season against Samp, we won 5-1..

Andorra85

Jul 11, 2009
Give Momo a chance with the 4-4-2, I am sure he can provide a short pass to another player horizontally without giving it away, while holding up to the opposittion's big shot shot playmaker and make them eat thye grass at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)