Milan-Juventus (26 Viewers)

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Oh Milan :dontcare: Stop with all the whining already - lets face it, you were underpar, we were the better team.

I think Capello said 'puttana' when Del Piero's header hit the bar :shocked:

Yeah, he said "porca puttana", i would have said worse :D

I loved our team's spirit yesterday... especially Buffon's determination
Me too, thay had fire in their eyes :fero:

Buy on AliExpress.com
Apr 29, 2005
Player of the Week: Del Piero (Juventus) Monday 9 May, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It hasn’t been the easiest of seasons for Alex Del Piero but he didn’t let Juventus down during the Scudetto clash at Milan. The captain led by example and was priceless in the 1-0 win at the San Siro which has given his side one hand on the Italian championship.

The Azzurri international went into the match after another disappointing display in the victory over Bologna. He again suffered the embarrassment of being substituted by boss Fabio Capello during that win, but there was no way the No 10 wasn’t finishing the showdown against the Rossoneri.

Although Juve’s offensive threat was limited throughout the 90 minutes, Del Piero again illustrated that his critics are all too quick in writing him off. He may not be the player who was arguably the world’s best at one stage in 1998, but he can still make a contribution for a club who are undoubtedly in his heart.

Del Piero moved well throughout the game on Sunday. He made David Trezeguet’s goal by delivering a sublime over-head kick cross that the Frenchman nodded in past the usually reliable Dida. Alex then tested the Brazilian with a curling shot before rattling the crossbar in the second-half with a header.

His performance will now give Capello a headache ahead of next week’s clash with Parma. With Zlatan Ibrahimovic available again after suspension, the tactician will either have to drop Del Piero or goalscorer Trezeguet as the Old Lady look for another win which would edge them closer to the Scudetto.

Yet Del Piero wasn’t the only Juve ace to shine. Their win against the Rossoneri was based on a collective team effort right throughout the line-up. Gigi Buffon made some crucial saves behind a defence that did well, especially Fabio Cannavaro and Gianluca Zambrotta – the latter denying Pippo Inzaghi with a desperate goal-line challenge.

Mauro Camoranesi was also a useful target in midfield, while Trezeguet underlined how good a goal poacher he is. The Frenchman did little in the game but made all the difference with his goal - a strike that may just have won his club the title.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: Antonio Labbate

channel4.com

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++
I watched the second half on a stream and was able to rewatch the first half later. Anyway, my thoughts on the game:

I think the refereeing was fine all round. Those penalties should not have been called: Cafu fouled Zambrotta before Zambrotta pulled on Cafu's shirt and Cafu did not hesitate to dive. The other decision was a ball in the armpit, I don't think one calls that 'hands'.

Anyway, good game. Juve played some of their best passing play of the season in the first half, it certainly beats the uninspired crap juve sometimes play (vs liverpool..).

The defence was a rock, I thought Milan via Crespo knew the weakness of the former parma trio (Buffon,Thuram Cannavaro)?
Thuram WAS strong though, together with they Cannavaro outshone the defensive partnership of Stam and Nesta. Did anyone notice how much trouble Nesta had with Camoranesi??
Zambrotta was back to his best, maybe even the man of the match. Pessotto excelled as well.

Midfield still wasn't THAT impressive, although a little improved.
Nedved was average to be honest, although he did a lot of hardwork he plays a little like a headless chicken nowadays.
Camoranesi was once AGAIN juve's best midfielder, making some unstoppable runs, dribbles, crosses and turns. He certainly made life hard for Seedorf, Pirlo, Maldini AND Nesta. Best rightside-midfielder in the world this season? Shame he had to go off injured though.

Upfront, Trezeguet played like Trezeguet. Quiet, invisible but scoring a good goal. Del Piero showed everyone he isn't a choker and he CAN perform in the big matches. The press put all the pressure on Del Piero to perform in Zlatan's absence, and he certainly did! DP gave Stam a lot of trouble and that overheaded Cross was amazing.

All in all, I'd say a very deserved victory especially based on the first half. Granted though, Milan did not play their best football and look a shadow of the team that dominated serie A last season.

I'm confident now Juve will cling on to win the scudetto. Three games left with Milan having the tougher of the games. + Juve can afford to draw ONE game. It'll be good to see Mutu play the last two games of the season as well.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Agree here.Congrats Juve,in the hardiests momemnts we made it,i hope we will continue on,to clinch the title.

I love you Juve,what a match!:cheesy:

Forza Juve!!!:cool:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Oh Milan :dontcare: Stop with all the whining already - lets face it, you were underpar, we were the better team.

So desperate was Inzaghi to contribute to the game he had to hit Thuram's head ;)
hehe,

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++
i can't get enough of reading this thread and looking at those amazing pictures!!!!!!!

today at school i wore my juve shirt anf felt sooo fvcking proud!!!

milanistas of caurse were all saying that they deserved a penalty and that fabio was under drugs...

they are jelous and angry cause they lost :D
i am not blaming them :D
The same here, they kept on repeating the Canna penalty and Zambrotta cafu incident....Screw them....WE WON

gray

Apr 22, 2003
My ratings (P.S. I might say "today") even though the match was yesterday, but that's because my internet connection is stuffed so I couldn't watch the stream, and I had to download the match at uni and watch it there (after making sure I didn't visit the forums or talk to any of my friends who are football fans for the whole day).

Buffon -7- - Didn't make any of his spectacular diving/reaction saves, but dealt with everything extremely well, especially considering the pressure we were under during the 2nd half. His positioning was spot-on to the extent that it left Sheva confused, and he did great to punch out Sheva's effort.

Also did well to save Inzaghi's initial effort after Sheva's perfect cross into the center.

I really want to give Buffon 7.5 just for the sheer look of concentration and determination on his face. I was cheering my ass off alongside Buffon

Pessotto -6- - Nothing spectacular, but did his job well in Zebina's stead. Speaking of which, even though Zebina gives us more attacking options down the right, perhaps it's fortunate that we had the more defensive-minded Pessotto at RB today. Dealt fairly well with everything that came down the left.

Thuram -8- - Absolutely rock solid. The only mistake I remember him making was missing Rui Costa's cross to Sheva, who fortunately misdirected his header.

The moment that summed up Thuram's performance for me was when he confidently cut out a Milan attack and galloped all the way up the pitch to attack. I also loved the way he was yelling at the troops to keep their heads up and take the points home :touched:

Good on him for not reacting childishly to Inzaghi's provocation. As the commentator said "Inzaghi is lucky that he chose to pick on a big man who doesn't tend to fall to the ground theatrically" Forza Thuram :star:

Cannavaro -8- - I said earlier in the season that it's usually impossible to seperate these two in terms of performance, and that rings true today. Canna was his usual solid self and dealt well with. I absolutely love watching this guy when an opposing player has room for a shot; he absolutely throws himself at the ball without even thinking. It would have been very harsh to award a penalty against him. Another memorable moment was when he stuck out his toe to crucially stop a ball floating into the centre.

and how about that backwards header that was saved by Dida? Oliver Bierhoff would have been proud of that! He wears the number 28 for a reason...damn I love Cannavaro :touched:

Zambrotta -7.5- - Zambrotta was immense today. I was saying before that we should cash in on Zambro should the right offer come in, but he proved today that he's virtually irreplaceable at left-back. He was always where he needed to be in defence, and although he didn't get involved in attack as much as I would have liked him to, Zambrotta was constantly terrorising Milan's wide men on the flanks with his trademark galloping runs.

Maybe an extra 0.5 just for putting his life on the line to stop Pippo from scoring. I was yelling my ass off when Zambro did that, as was Buffon, who "celebrated like he'd just won the championship" to quote the commentator once again.

I liked his bicycle kick clearance too :cool:
Camoranesi -7- - Got involved well in both attack and defence, and throughout the whole match he was either running at Milan's defenders or tracking back to harrass them in defence. Didn't put a foot wrong all game until he got injured. If it weren't for Camo, we'd have close to zero creativity in our team. One of our best players this season, definitely the most improved.

Nedved -6.5- - Pavel looked a little bit out of sorts today, but he showed great determination and got off a couple of good shots in succession. Our attacking movement didn't go through him as much as usual, but Neddy always distributed the ball well when he had it.

Emerson -7- - It was great to see Emerson back in the team, and there's not a doubt in my mind that he makes the team look three times as solid as we are without him. Emo played his usual game, breaking down attacks and making his presence felt in midfield. Maybe should have done better from Trezeguet's cross, but kudos to him for being in the right place.

Appiah -6.5- - I'm still not convinced that Appiah is Juve material, but he had a much improved performance today. He had a calamitous touch on the edge of the box that could have easily led to a goal, but apart from that he had a good performance. Doesn't look like he has the creativity necessary for someone who plays alongside Emerson, but he did have one good moment where he slipped the ball through 3 defenders after holding the ball up well. Apart from that though, he usually just makes the routine 2 metre passes, but that's probably for the best :D

Del Piero -7- - Del Piero really showed some determination today, and he truly looked like he wanted to win. It was good to see him dribbling at defenders even though he lost the ball once or twice.

I was cheering for Del Piero when Collina gave the free kick against him when he won the ball after some scrappy play from Maldini, then Alex got pissed off and threw the ball down with both hands. Nice to see some passion in his eyes instead of the usual sheepish frown he puts on after falling meekly to the floor.

As for the assist... well, what can I say? It was simply sublime. Sure, the ball to Trez could have been a bit less loopy, but I'd like to see anyone else do any better from an overhead cross :) Unlucky for him that he hit the bar :frown: Nice curling shot in the first half too.

One of Alex's best performances of the season, rewarded with a full 90 minutes.

Forza Alex.

Trezeguet -6.5- - It's always difficult to give Trez a rating, because he simply doesn't get involved in the play... so I usually have to rate Trezegoal on his own personal scale. The goal was well taken considering the circumstances; he reacted well and directed his header where Dida couldn't stop it.

It was great to see Trez on the score sheet, and he even got a few passes in here and there.

He proved once again that he scores goals when he's on the pitch, and I'll be very sad to see Trez leave us, even if he's replaced by someone who gets involved a little more. One of the best finishers in the world by a longshot.

Birindelli (no rating) - Even though his introduction limited our attacking options, he did his job fairly well, and even got forward right after he was subbed on. Biri is a real battler who gives everything for the team; just look at the way he jumped like a madman and landed awkwardly.

Blasi (no rating) - Didn't do much apart from wasting time on the free kick, but good on him for doing so :D I've always liked Blasi, even if he doesn't have the most delicate of touches.

Zalayeta (no rating) - Again, didn't really do much, but he was probably more suited to the situation than Trez, since he holds the ball up well and gets involved in the play a bit more. Nice backheel pass to Nedved :)

Capello -7- - I think he put out the best possible team given his options, and he also made the right substitutions (even though they were pretty routine). Kudos to him for rewarding Del Piero's performance with a full 90 minutes. It was good to see some emotion on his face in the closing minutes of the game, yelling at Pavel to get his ass off the floor and get back to defend :D

Whether you like him or not, Capello has done great for our team considering the lack of depth in our squad and the various injury/suspension problems he's faced. His style doesn't cater for the most attractive football, but it's sure as hell effective. The way we went out to Liverpool in the CL was pretty humiliating, and I must admit I questioned some of Capello's decisions (i.e. playing Olivera), but Fabio knows what he's doing, and if he brings us the scudetto this season, it'll be a huge achievement and another addition to Capello's credentials. Grazie Capello.

Forza Juve :star:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Dr-Juve ] ++

they just cant bro

they are asking for the impossible , they want DP to do everything in the match (defending,scoring,passing,preparing,creating etc) and this is the prob

DP is one of the most important player in the squad, but unfortunately he is not a magician
Sometimes he Is;)...

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by bianconeroblood ] ++
Player of the Week: Del Piero (Juventus) Monday 9 May, 2005

It hasn’t been the easiest of seasons for Alex Del Piero but he didn’t let Juventus down during the Scudetto clash at Milan. The captain led by example and was priceless in the 1-0 win at the San Siro which has given his side one hand on the Italian championship.

The Azzurri international went into the match after another disappointing display in the victory over Bologna. He again suffered the embarrassment of being substituted by boss Fabio Capello during that win, but there was no way the No 10 wasn’t finishing the showdown against the Rossoneri.

Although Juve’s offensive threat was limited throughout the 90 minutes, Del Piero again illustrated that his critics are all too quick in writing him off. He may not be the player who was arguably the world’s best at one stage in 1998, but he can still make a contribution for a club who are undoubtedly in his heart.

Del Piero moved well throughout the game on Sunday. He made David Trezeguet’s goal by delivering a sublime over-head kick cross that the Frenchman nodded in past the usually reliable Dida. Alex then tested the Brazilian with a curling shot before rattling the crossbar in the second-half with a header.

His performance will now give Capello a headache ahead of next week’s clash with Parma. With Zlatan Ibrahimovic available again after suspension, the tactician will either have to drop Del Piero or goalscorer Trezeguet as the Old Lady look for another win which would edge them closer to the Scudetto.

Yet Del Piero wasn’t the only Juve ace to shine. Their win against the Rossoneri was based on a collective team effort right throughout the line-up. Gigi Buffon made some crucial saves behind a defence that did well, especially Fabio Cannavaro and Gianluca Zambrotta – the latter denying Pippo Inzaghi with a desperate goal-line challenge.

Mauro Camoranesi was also a useful target in midfield, while Trezeguet underlined how good a goal poacher he is. The Frenchman did little in the game but made all the difference with his goal - a strike that may just have won his club the title.

Words: Antonio Labbate

channel4.com
:touched: Captain :touched:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
My ratings (P.S. I might say "today") even though the match was yesterday, but that's because my internet connection is stuffed so I couldn't watch the stream, and I had to download the match at uni and watch it there (after making sure I didn't visit the forums or talk to any of my friends who are football fans for the whole day).

Buffon -7- - Didn't make any of his spectacular diving/reaction saves, but dealt with everything extremely well, especially considering the pressure we were under during the 2nd half. His positioning was spot-on to the extent that it left Sheva confused, and he did great to punch out Sheva's effort.

Also did well to save Inzaghi's initial effort after Sheva's perfect cross into the center.

I really want to give Buffon 7.5 just for the sheer look of concentration and determination on his face. I was cheering my ass off alongside Buffon

Pessotto -6- - Nothing spectacular, but did his job well in Zebina's stead. Speaking of which, even though Zebina gives us more attacking options down the right, perhaps it's fortunate that we had the more defensive-minded Pessotto at RB today. Dealt fairly well with everything that came down the left.

Thuram -8- - Absolutely rock solid. The only mistake I remember him making was missing Rui Costa's cross to Sheva, who fortunately misdirected his header.

The moment that summed up Thuram's performance for me was when he confidently cut out a Milan attack and galloped all the way up the pitch to attack. I also loved the way he was yelling at the troops to keep their heads up and take the points home :touched:

Good on him for not reacting childishly to Inzaghi's provocation. As the commentator said "Inzaghi is lucky that he chose to pick on a big man who doesn't tend to fall to the ground theatrically" Forza Thuram :star:

Cannavaro -8- - I said earlier in the season that it's usually impossible to seperate these two in terms of performance, and that rings true today. Canna was his usual solid self and dealt well with. I absolutely love watching this guy when an opposing player has room for a shot; he absolutely throws himself at the ball without even thinking. It would have been very harsh to award a penalty against him. Another memorable moment was when he stuck out his toe to crucially stop a ball floating into the centre.

and how about that backwards header that was saved by Dida? Oliver Bierhoff would have been proud of that! He wears the number 28 for a reason...damn I love Cannavaro :touched:

Zambrotta -7.5- - Zambrotta was immense today. I was saying before that we should cash in on Zambro should the right offer come in, but he proved today that he's virtually irreplaceable at left-back. He was always where he needed to be in defence, and although he didn't get involved in attack as much as I would have liked him to, Zambrotta was constantly terrorising Milan's wide men on the flanks with his trademark galloping runs.

Maybe an extra 0.5 just for putting his life on the line to stop Pippo from scoring. I was yelling my ass off when Zambro did that, as was Buffon, who "celebrated like he'd just won the championship" to quote the commentator once again.

I liked his bicycle kick clearance too :cool:
Camoranesi -7- - Got involved well in both attack and defence, and throughout the whole match he was either running at Milan's defenders or tracking back to harrass them in defence. Didn't put a foot wrong all game until he got injured. If it weren't for Camo, we'd have close to zero creativity in our team. One of our best players this season, definitely the most improved.

Nedved -6.5- - Pavel looked a little bit out of sorts today, but he showed great determination and got off a couple of good shots in succession. Our attacking movement didn't go through him as much as usual, but Neddy always distributed the ball well when he had it.

Emerson -7- - It was great to see Emerson back in the team, and there's not a doubt in my mind that he makes the team look three times as solid as we are without him. Emo played his usual game, breaking down attacks and making his presence felt in midfield. Maybe should have done better from Trezeguet's cross, but kudos to him for being in the right place.

Appiah -6.5- - I'm still not convinced that Appiah is Juve material, but he had a much improved performance today. He had a calamitous touch on the edge of the box that could have easily led to a goal, but apart from that he had a good performance. Doesn't look like he has the creativity necessary for someone who plays alongside Emerson, but he did have one good moment where he slipped the ball through 3 defenders after holding the ball up well. Apart from that though, he usually just makes the routine 2 metre passes, but that's probably for the best :D

Del Piero -7- - Del Piero really showed some determination today, and he truly looked like he wanted to win. It was good to see him dribbling at defenders even though he lost the ball once or twice.

I was cheering for Del Piero when Collina gave the free kick against him when he won the ball after some scrappy play from Maldini, then Alex got pissed off and threw the ball down with both hands. Nice to see some passion in his eyes instead of the usual sheepish frown he puts on after falling meekly to the floor.

As for the assist... well, what can I say? It was simply sublime. Sure, the ball to Trez could have been a bit less loopy, but I'd like to see anyone else do any better from an overhead cross :) Unlucky for him that he hit the bar :frown: Nice curling shot in the first half too.

One of Alex's best performances of the season, rewarded with a full 90 minutes.

Forza Alex.

Trezeguet -6.5- - It's always difficult to give Trez a rating, because he simply doesn't get involved in the play... so I usually have to rate Trezegoal on his own personal scale. The goal was well taken considering the circumstances; he reacted well and directed his header where Dida couldn't stop it.

It was great to see Trez on the score sheet, and he even got a few passes in here and there.

He proved once again that he scores goals when he's on the pitch, and I'll be very sad to see Trez leave us, even if he's replaced by someone who gets involved a little more. One of the best finishers in the world by a longshot.

Birindelli (no rating) - Even though his introduction limited our attacking options, he did his job fairly well, and even got forward right after he was subbed on. Biri is a real battler who gives everything for the team; just look at the way he jumped like a madman and landed awkwardly.

Blasi (no rating) - Didn't do much apart from wasting time on the free kick, but good on him for doing so :D I've always liked Blasi, even if he doesn't have the most delicate of touches.

Zalayeta (no rating) - Again, didn't really do much, but he was probably more suited to the situation than Trez, since he holds the ball up well and gets involved in the play a bit more. Nice backheel pass to Nedved :)

Capello -7- - I think he put out the best possible team given his options, and he also made the right substitutions (even though they were pretty routine). Kudos to him for rewarding Del Piero's performance with a full 90 minutes. It was good to see some emotion on his face in the closing minutes of the game, yelling at Pavel to get his ass off the floor and get back to defend :D

Whether you like him or not, Capello has done great for our team considering the lack of depth in our squad and the various injury/suspension problems he's faced. His style doesn't cater for the most attractive football, but it's sure as hell effective. The way we went out to Liverpool in the CL was pretty humiliating, and I must admit I questioned some of Capello's decisions (i.e. playing Olivera), but Fabio knows what he's doing, and if he brings us the scudetto this season, it'll be a huge achievement and another addition to Capello's credentials. Grazie Capello.

Reading this Post just brought tears into my eyes...

I love you Juve!

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
May 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++
IMO:
Buffon - 7.0
Pessotto - 6.5
Thuram - 7.5
Cannavaro - 7.5
Zambrotta - 7.0
Nedved - 6.5
Appiah - 7.0
Emerson - 7.0
Camoranesi - 7.5
Del Piero - 7.5
Trezeguet - 7.0

Birindelli - 6.0
Blasi - 6.0
Zalayeta - 6.5
i would say your rating are the best i have seen so far...
and i like the NO man of the match! as i think the HOLE team playd great!

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
May 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Thats right!

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well done lads you played a good game and you deserved your victory.

I agree with most of what Andy said apart from saying Milan are the best in the world as they are not, compared to Barcelona.

I was satisfied that we played the ball on the floor but i think when Zlatan returns we will resort to playing the ball in the air.

I for one agree with the ratings by gazetta as no way was any of our defenders man of the mat in this game as we were not under that much pressure as Sheva was a bit off colour and Jon Dahl is useless.
I am just baffled why we do not play like this or slightly better in most games instead of the disjointed displays we do most of the time.

Buffon did not really have musc to do but he did save well from Inzaghi 6.5

Pessotto was reliable as ever and no he offers little going forward but handled Seedorf or was helped by Seedorf's erratic display but was worried by Serginho 6

Thurma was good but he didnt do any last ditch tackes that i remember, didnt win that many headers but did his job well 6
Cannavaro was good as well but i wish he would not keep on holding players instead of marking them as thats cheating in my book and perhaps was fortunate not to give away penalties 6.5

Zambrotta came very close to my man of the match as he was briliant even if he should have gotten a penalty blown up against him for a foul on Cafu 7

Emerson was quietly effective and seemed to spend most of his time shadowing Kaka 6

Appiah did his job well and like Vinman said , he didnt give the ball away too much 6

Camoranesi, i thought was the best player in the first half but faded a bit in the second before his injury, but played very well 7

Nedved perhaps the only disappointment in Juve's colours as his touch and decisions let him down as per usual he comes alive in the dying stages of games to camouflage his poor performances prior 5

Dp , well i am beyond being shocked to hear anyone say he was not the best player on the pitch, he held the ball up brilliantly, beat players with ease, brought upon fouls to mess up Milan's play, made brilliant runs into space, created the goal, even hit the post and yet thats not enuff for some 7.5

Trez scored the all important goal and that is what he knows how to do, the rest of football is incidental to him 6

Subs, well they did a good job

Capello, well he got his tactics right like he always seems to do when its a tactical game, i just wish he knew how to go out and really win games, teke games by the scruff of the neck instead of find ways not to get beaten or grinding out results as now we need to win and as he showed against Liverpool, maybe that's where he is lacking.

I am not sure what some are talking about with this squad cos if you look closely its probably better than Chelsea's man for man but ppl are acting like he has performed miraces with a ridiculous squad

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002

So desperate was Inzaghi to contribute to the game he had to hit Thuram's head ;)
IF he did actually say that (I cant tell from the replays), then I have just become a fan of Capello !!!!!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)