Microsoft squares up to Google (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Microsoft will move to capture a share of the $5 billion paid-search online advertising market as early as this week.

The computer software giant is expected to launch its long-awaited internet search engine tomorrow. The service is designed to compete with market leaders Google and Yahoo and to give Microsoft a foothold in a rapidly expanding market.

In paid-search advertising a company pays a fee to be near the top of the list of websites exhibited by a search engine when an internet user types in a specific key word.

Full Article

The most important part of the article is, IMO, this quote:
Google, which has relied on paid-search for more than 95 per cent of its revenues, will regard Microsoft's entry into the market as a serious threat.

Microsoft's search engine will be incorporated in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, which sells as an integral part of the Windows platform that equips 90 per cent of personal computers sold around the world.
This is the strategy that's made MSN chat and Internet Explorer the standards they are today. If the same pattern emerges, they'll crush Google, unless IE gets replaced by Firefox as the default browser for the majority of users. :down:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    What's that aimed at gray, me or Microsoft? :p

Ah, me and a multi-billion-dollar company in the same sentance, without the word 'lawsuit'... :D

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

This is the strategy that's made MSN chat and Internet Explorer the standards they are today. If the same pattern emerges, they'll crush Google, unless IE gets replaced by Firefox as the default browser for the majority of users. :down:

and isnt that ****in illegal ? ffs hasnt microsoft been sued on the same issue ? those biatches have way too much money

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    if it works better the same/maybe better who cares? Are google really doing you any favours with all the money they are making? :D

Oct 1, 2002
    I guess the search engine will work like this.
    I search for Linux, and it directs me to Microsoft Windows OS homepage.
    I search for Mozilla and it directs me to IE homepage.
    I search for ICQ and it directs me to MSN Messenger homepage..

AND I search for google, the search engine return nothing..:groan:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
    if it works better the same/maybe better who cares? Are google really doing you any favours with all the money they are making? :D
    No, it won't work the same, because Microsoft will undoubtedly turn the obscurest of google searches into something that points to a Microsoft site :groan:

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    I mean who cares if Micosofts new search site (dont they already have msn.com?) is good and google dies? What has google ever done for you or for any charity for that matter. They make millions aswell. Atleast Microsoft try :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    what has google ever done? Only provided the answer to every question I've ever asked for the past few years :) Google is so much a part of our culture now that it's become a verb: "just Google it". What are you going to say if this happens? "Just Microsoft search it" ?? :yuck:

The great thing about Google is that it's neat and efficient, and doesn't show all this advertising rubbish in your face like Yahoo and MSN do. I don't care how much money Google make, I care about how good their search engine is. Microsoft is definitely going to bastardise it :(

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Doesn't matter if it's a better product, folks. All that matters is that it makes more money. That is the secret sauce to Microsoft. They were founded on it.

For all the geek worship Bill Gates gets, he's been a far better marketing genius than a product development savant. That's instilled in the company now.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    For all the geek worship Bill Gates gets, he's been a far better marketing genius than a product development savant. That's instilled in the company now.
    There are those who claim he was never a geek to begin with....

Now Linus Torvalds, that's a real geek for ya..

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    A guy that likes technology and all kinds of gadgets kind of geek yes. But a hacker who spends all night writing code kind of geek.. kinda doubt it.

Brilliant businessman though.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and a few other Lakeside students (many of whom were the first programmers hired at Microsoft) immediately became inseparable from the computer. They would stay in the computer room all day and night, writing programs, reading computer literature and anything else they could to learn about computing. Soon Gates and the others started running into problems with the faculty. Their homework was being turned in late (if at all), they were skipping classes to be in the computer room and worst of all, they had used up all of the schools computer time in just a few weeks. [Wallace, 1992, p. 24]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)