Microsoft fined by EU (1 Viewer)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #42
    Erik, I couldn't agree more. That cultural capital shit is useless!

As for this topic, pending more news about EU vs Microsoft, you might say it's dead anyway.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Josh ] ++
    I love the EU!
    :moan: Try living here. For all that I support the EU, it's not democratic or accountable enough for me. The direction Europe has gone and is going is not determined by a groundswell of public opinion, and I for one don't like our leaders deciding that election is a mandate to do whatever the heck they want.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    mikhail you think the US is democratic? I suggest you read up on the patriot act ;) :D

in fact while your at that look at the 'censored' link in my signature.

ive come to the conclusio that the place where i will be happiest is on a remote island or a desert. but thats just me :D

besides that, what made you come to that conclusion about the EU?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    mikhail you think the US is democratic? I suggest you read up on the patriot act ;) :D
    When did I suggest that? You even have a president who got less votes than the other guy. What kind of screwy system is that? I'm thinking of recommending that Europe send troops into Florida in November to secure democracy in the region. ;)

in fact while your at that look at the 'censored' link in my signature.
    Already done do. Depressing stuff.

ive come to the conclusio that the place where i will be happiest is on a remote island or a desert. but thats just me :D
    You got room for three more on that island?

besides that, what made you come to that conclusion about the EU?
    We had a whole Commission resign over corruption. :fero:

When Ireland voted no on the Nice Treaty, they actually had the bloody audacity to make us vote on it again. :mad: :mad: :mad: Can you believe that? "Ah, no. The election didn't go as planned. You'll have to vote again. Vote Republican, that is."

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    damn. where can i find out more about the resignation? and what was the nice treaty all about?
    Here's an article on the resignation

It's practically impossible to get a genuinely knowledgable debate on it.

The Nice Treaty has its own website. Of course, it's nicely sanitised, so we'd vote for it without thinking.

Here's a site with more or less the opposite agenda.

A quote from the second site: "The Nice treaty is a difficult document to read and understand in part because it is a list of amendments to already existing documents including the European Union treaty itself. In order to try to understand these you end up flicking back and forth between growing mountains of paper."

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    and what was the basis of their(ireland's) rejection?
    Worries about the railroading of this treaty over the rest of Europe (I think we're the only country that actually voted on it - the rest of them just ran it through their parlements); worries about the militarisation of the EU, and how it could overwrite our neutrality; worries about loss of soverignty. :down:

Then you have the scaremongering from stupid people who have an irational fear of Europe without the intelligence or workrate to actually find out why. Things like loss of jobs to the east with expansion, loss of financial aid to the new member states, globalisation (like that has anything to do with Nice specifically :rolleyes: ), rampant immigration, loss of power and influence. :fero:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Trust me, we'd all be happy if you went to a remote desert island. Without a computer :D

++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

The Nice Treaty has its own website.. Of course, it's nicely sanitised
    :rofl::LOL::howler:

sorry, i had a very late night :sleepy:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Worries about the railroading of this treaty over the rest of Europe (I think we're the only country that actually voted on it - the rest of them just ran it through their parlements); worries about the militarisation of the EU, and how it could overwrite our neutrality; worries about loss of soverignty. :down:

Then you have the scaremongering from stupid people who have an irational fear of Europe without the intelligence or workrate to actually find out why. Things like loss of jobs to the east with expansion, loss of financial aid to the new member states, globalisation (like that has anything to do with Nice specifically :rolleyes: ), rampant immigration, loss of power and influence. :fero:
    Damn straight they did :fero:

The whole concept of the European Union arrived here from hell imo. HELL I tell you! :(

They should re-name it. Call it Franco-German Empire :groan:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Ah ok. Well they are an influential nation. They still have quite some informal powers in 90% of their former empire which stretches across a considerable part of the earth.

Same goes for the British.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    Well this is what I see as the classes of power.

-----------------
    US of A
    ----------------
    GB
    -----------------------
    France, Germany, Russia, etc
    -------------------------------------

I dont know where to put China, but its on a separate list as its still a developing country.

Sep 28, 2002

oh just be nice and let us easterners in. we promise to be good. at least i do.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Well that's very reassuring :D

Well this is what I see as the classes of power.

-----------------
    US of A
    ----------------
    GB
    -----------------------
    France, Germany, Russia, etc
    -------------------------------------

I dont know where to put China, but its on a separate list as its still a developing country.
    Great Britain over France? Germany at the same level? :undecide:

Here's how I would do it, based on the armies of these countries (both in number and in technological advancement) and their influence in the world.

1. USA

20. Great Britain and France
    21. Russia and China
    22. Germany

Germany's army is crap and has been crap ever since they lost WWII. Solid reputation but nothing but scrapheap rubble.

But I suppose multiple options are possible. Perhaps mine is a tad too European...

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    1. USA

20. Great Britain and France
    21. Russia and China
    22. Germany
    Who's occupying number 2 till 19? :confused: :p

And Norway's army is going to be a superpower this August, just wait and see. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)