Messi vs C.Ronaldo (17 Viewers)

Vote

• Messi

• C. Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Biggest problem for Ronaldo is his lack of influence at the World Cup.

All the other goats have had memorable World Cup careers. Pele, Beckenbauer, Maradona, Zidane, R9, and recently Messi.

Cristiano doesn’t really have anything at the World Cup. He doesn’t even have a goal or assist in the knockout stages.

I get that Portugal are not as good as traditional powerhouses like Brazil, Argentina, Germany but they are still good enough to make an impact.

Look what Forlan did in 2010, or what James did in 2014. That was with Colombia.

CR7 has no excuse.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Biggest problem for Ronaldo is his lack of influence at the World Cup.

All the other goats have had memorable World Cup careers. Pele, Beckenbauer, Maradona, Zidane, R9, and recently Messi.

Cristiano doesn’t really have anything at the World Cup. He doesn’t even have a goal or assist in the knockout stages.

I get that Portugal are not as good as traditional powerhouses like Brazil, Argentina, Germany but they are still good enough to make an impact.

Look what Forlan did in 2010, or what James did in 2014. That was with Colombia.

CR7 has no excuse.
Dude, this gets to the heart of the myth about the lone winner of the World Cup.

If Messi was playing for Norway, no chance in hell he'd be considered by these criteria.

Ronaldo did have an amazing hattrick against Spain for the opener in WC 2018, for example. But yes, he's not been able to deliver in the knockouts.

That said, being able to deliver in the knockouts depends a lot on your teammates. Look at Mmmbop yesterday until the 75th minute.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Dude, this gets to the heart of the myth about the lone winner of the World Cup.

If Messi was playing for Norway, no chance in hell he'd be considered by these criteria.

Ronaldo did have an amazing hattrick against Spain for the opener in WC 2018, for example. But yes, he's not been able to deliver in the knockouts.

That said, being able to deliver in the knockouts depends a lot on your teammates. Look at Mmmbop yesterday until the 75th minute.
Amazing hat-trick?

He scored a penalty, a fumble from de Gea which wasn't even close to being a good shot and a free kick which was amazing I'll give him that.

When Messi didn't have the support of Argentina and everyone was shitting on him people were saying he can only win with xavi and Iniesta.

Ronaldo has not performed for country when it matters most, they even won the final without him while he was in full on cheer leader mode for the cameras to make it look like he did something.

Ronaldo had a very solid and competitive team to win the world cup and at times on paper was more balanced than Argentina.

What Messi did with this average to good Argentina team was incredible and now he officially goes into tier 1 GOAT status with Pele and Maradona even though for me he already achieved that 10 years ago but the world cup will cement his legacy for the history books now.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Amazing hat-trick?

He scored a penalty, a fumble from de Gea which wasn't even close to being a good shot and a free kick which was amazing I'll give him that.

When Messi didn't have the support of Argentina and everyone was shitting on him people were saying he can only win with xavi and Iniesta.

Ronaldo has not performed for country when it matters most, they even won the final without him while he was in full on cheer leader mode for the cameras to make it look like he did something.

Ronaldo had a very solid and competitive team to win the world cup and at times on paper was more balanced than Argentina.

What Messi did with this average to good Argentina team was incredible and now he officially goes into tier 1 GOAT status with Pele and Maradona even though for me he already achieved that 10 years ago but the world cup will cement his legacy for the history books now.
I was 100% pro-Ronaldo, but I admit that the GOAT is Messi.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Seems bizarre to me how people use team accomplishments as a metric to determine individual success.
It's not...

One of the things that most people talk about when they speak of Maradona being the GOAT is the fact that he took an average Napoli side to 2 serie A titles against strong Juve and Milan teams. Then of course the fact he won the world cup with what was considered an average Argentina.

This speaks to how great his individual talent was.

Now Messi has done the same with Argentina

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
It's not...

One of the things that most people talk about when they speak of Maradona being the GOAT is the fact that he took an average Napoli side to 2 serie A titles against strong Juve and Milan teams. Then of course the fact he won the world cup with what was considered an average Argentina.

This speaks to how great his individual talent was.

Now Messi has done the same with Argentina
Come on bro Argentina had no business winning this wc
There were at least 3 teams that looked better on paper including Portugal
He had a great WC and seemed to pull his teammates together when dealing with adversity
Maradona's run with Napoli isn't even remotely comparable with this world cup run. Argentina has a lot of quality, and looked like a well organised, quick flowing team. Messi played a part in that but not a decisive one. The manager deserves the credit here.

He scored 7 goals yes. 4 of which were penalties. That leaves him with 3 non-penalty goals, which isn't all that remarkable when you consider that Mbappe almost equalled that in one half alone. I'm not saying that he didnt have a good tournament, but I think people arent really putting things into perspective properly and are just getting carried away with the whole GOAT bandwagon. I'd argue that even Alvarez or Martinez were more influential for Argentina than Messi was.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Dude no one is saying Messi is the GOAT because of this world cup he's 35 for fucksake way past his prime. He was recognized by many as being the GOAT for at least a decade. All this world cup did was put a stamp on it.

Last edited:

loyada

Feb 6, 2005
Maradona's run with Napoli isn't even remotely comparable with this world cup run. Argentina has a lot of quality, and looked like a well organised, quick flowing team. Messi played a part in that but not a decisive one. The manager deserves the credit here.

He scored 7 goals yes. 4 of which were penalties. That leaves him with 3 non-penalty goals, which isn't all that remarkable when you consider that Mbappe almost equalled that in one half alone. I'm not saying that he didnt have a good tournament, but I think people arent really putting things into perspective properly and are just getting carried away with the whole GOAT bandwagon. I'd argue that even Alvarez or Martinez were more influential for Argentina than Messi was.
the Argentina coaching staff deserve more, it is mot coincidence that they won Copa America and a World Cup in less than 2 years after waiting what seems like eternity for Albiceleste fans.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Maradona's run with Napoli isn't even remotely comparable with this world cup run. Argentina has a lot of quality, and looked like a well organised, quick flowing team.
Maradona had some a top players alongside him, Daniel Passarella, Jorge Valdano and Sergio Batista IIRC they were 3rd or 4th tournament favourites. He didn't do it alone.
Other than the fiery last 16 with their neighbours in 86, I think it's fairly easy to draw comparisons to 22. If anything they survived meeting the then tournament favourites of Brazil and France.

1986 Last 16 Uruguay
2022 Last 16 USA
1986 Quarter Final England
2022 Quarter Final Netherlands
1986 Semi Final Belgium
2022 Semi Final Croatia
1986 Final Germany
2022 Final France

Last edited:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Sorry, like women with tramp stamps and throw pillows that say "Live, Love, Laugh", I have to blame this whole "GOAT" bullsh*t on the dumb obsessions of Millennials.

Yer kulture sux. Take it back.
Wasnt the term popularized during the Jordan era?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)