Merih Demiral (10 Viewers)

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Look at Pjaca

Hes quite slim though and I think a slimmer frame helps, stocky players like Pjaca worry me more with these types of injuries

I've seen conflicting reports
Is it a full acl tear or partial? And is it meniscus as well?
He tore his meniscus as well

Carlos Primera

Il Vecchio Signore
Mar 29, 2009
Radamel Falcao sustained this type of injury in Argentina prior to coming to Europe I think. Didnt stop him from killing in portugal and spain. Its a different sport, but for those that follow NFL, Tom Brady blew out his knee and came back the season after and won MVP.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Radamel Falcao sustained this type of injury in Argentina prior to coming to Europe I think. Didnt stop him from killing in portugal and spain. Its a different sport, but for those that follow NFL, Tom Brady blew out his knee and came back the season after and won MVP.
Why do players lose their speed and agility after acl injury?

james95

Sep 2, 2018
They lose agility because the cruciate ligament is involved in the lateral movement of the knee so if the knee doesn't return to 100% they will lose a degree of flexibility and ability to change direction from it. I don't know about speed. That's usually muscle related.

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Hope all goes well and see you next year. Never thought of him as someone who lost a step would hurt his performance. As long he continues to want to get physical with players, he'll be fine.

Carlos Primera

Il Vecchio Signore
Mar 29, 2009
The healing phase post operatively is rather quick after a knee reconstruction, its the rehab that takes longer. During recovery after surgery, the affected leg is not allowed to bear weight for some time and isn’t in normal “use” until such time as the reconstructed knee fully heals and becomes structurally safe to allow for physiotherapy. As a result, the muscles related to the affected leg tend to atrophy which is entirely normal. You’ll notice especially in athletes who start to rehab after knee reconstruction that the healthy leg is much larger/muscular compared to the injured leg which looks softer/smaller. The point of rehab is to train and strengthen that weak leg to get it to regain the same level of function as the normal one. If not, there is a high chance of reinjury to the same knee or injuring the other knee as it over compensates.

The reconstructed ligament is never as good as the original. But i think performance after surgery depends case by case. You cant compare person A’s experience vs. Person B’s. I think its mostly a mental issue to be honest, Demiral seems to be a guy with immense mental fortitude and constitution. Most guys who have sustained an ACL tear are a bit more cautious is use of the reconstructed knee. Its not uncommon for them to have a “numb” patch or area of the knee in its range of motion. I think this depends as well on what type of graft was used.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
QB’s almost always come back fine from ACL, especially pocket passers who rarely run like Brady. Not a good example.

There was an article not so long ago on American football players after suffering ACL ruptures, and in positions like RB, WR, DB, etc, positions that require accerelation, speed, agility, lateral quickness, the vast majority drop at least a level or two post-injury and have shortened career expectancies by a couple years. A pro-bowl player becomes a league average player and instead of say an 8 year career, he lasts 6 years.

For a counterpoint though, Adrian Peterson, came back extremely quickly from his ACL injury (starting games 8 months after, when usually in NFL timeline is a year) and had one of the best seasons by a RB ever.

The odds are against any player in these sports who suffers an ACL rupture ever getting back to his best, but it does happen, and hopefully Merih is driven to be one of the exceptions to the rule.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)