Maurizio Sarri (146 Viewers)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Agree and especially the part about disrespecting the club. What kind of a retarded statement was that we would have gotten 2 penalties if this was Italy.
Seriously some of the stuff he has said especially after the defeat to napoli is a sackable offence in my books

- - - Updated - - -

The first warning sign came in the prematch warm-up at the Groupama stadium in Lyon, France. Leonardo Bonucci did not like what he was seeing.

The intensity he expects, particularly on a Champions League night, was missing from Juventus' backups. To his mind, they were too casual, and he didn't hesitate to tell them in front of a crowd of 60,000 fans. When the game kicked off, the Juventus starting XI did not set a much better example. Adrien Rabiot wasted a 3-on-2 on the counterattack and never recovered. Passive defending from Rodrigo Bentancur allowed Karl Toko Ekambi to get in front of him and head an effort against the crossbar. An errant pass from Juan Cuadrado started an attack for Moussa Dembele that, lucky for the Colombia international, ended with the former Fulham and Celtic striker shooting over the bar. A misunderstanding between Miralem Pjanic and Bonucci let Toko Ekambi in again.

Despite several errors, Juventus can attribute the goal they did concede, which sends them back to Turin for the second leg down 1-0 on aggregate in their last-16 clash, down to bad luck. Matthijs de Ligt was off the pitch receiving treatment for a head injury when Lyon made full use of the extra man and scored what turned out to be the winner.

- Marcotti: How coronavirus is impacting Serie A, sports in Italy
- Inter vs. Juventus to be played behind closed doors

The Italian side is right to question the referee's decision not to grant Cristiano Ronaldo or Paulo Dybala a penalty in the second half, but truth be told, Juve only have themselves to blame for taking an hour to get the measure of Lyon and find something close to a groove. Extenuating circumstances like Giorgio Chiellini's presence in the stands rather than on the pitch and Pjanic's lack of match fitness in his return from injury only go so far in excusing a first-half performance -- zero shots on goal -- that must rank as the worst of the season.

This had been coming.

Maurizio Sarri is under intense pressure at Juventus despite needing time to install his unique style of soccer. Will his time run out? Philippe Desmazes/AFP via Getty Images
Juventus have not played well enough over the past month to inspire confidence that Wednesday's trip to Lyon would be a piece of cake, and even when they have played well this season, the number of one-goal wins (16) mean it has rarely been comfortable.

The team is supposed to peak in February. It's designed that way, in a sense: The medical staff has made more or less everybody available in time, with Merih Demiral the only first-team player not on the short flight across the Alps. New concepts should be assimilated by now, too. Juve fans don't expect to hear embattled coach Maurizio Sarri say: "I'm having difficulty getting the idea across to the team that they need to pass the ball quickly." That will wash in August and September. It won't at this stage of the campaign.
Bonucci can fuck off in all. He is one to talk about attitude when he is amongst the laziest defender in the world

Buy on AliExpress.com

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Seriously some of the stuff he has said especially after the defeat to napoli is a sackable offence in my books

- - - Updated - - -

Bonucci can fuck off in all. He is one to talk about attitude when he is amongst the laziest defender in the world
I wanted to give Sarri a chance to show what he can do, but that defeat sowed seeds of doubt in my mind that he’s nowhere near Juve level. The Milan draw and Verona defeat confirmed it, and the Lyon game made me into one of the most fervent Sarri out guys on this forum.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
But his laziness helped him invent his signature back leg tackle move which instantly made him both football and comedy legend that will never be forgotten, credit where credit's due.
Yeah only lukaku has fallen victim of that infamous style of tackling

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to give Sarri a chance to show what he can do, but that defeat sowed seeds of doubt in my mind that he’s nowhere near Juve level. The Milan draw and Verona defeat confirmed it, and the Lyon game made me into one of the most fervent Sarri out guys on this forum.
The lyon game confirmed it for me irrespective of what he does now I want him gone, I cant help but feel players like chiellini and Ronaldo will have to carry and motivate this team more than ever before

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I think that Sarri works best when you give him a set of players who will do exactly what the coach says. At Napoli there was no doubt that he was the boss. All the players bought into his philosophy, worked hard off the ball, and the movement was how he wanted it to be.

At Chelsea and Juventus there are players with egos, players who move how they want to, and players who don't always press hard (Ronaldo, Hazard, and to a lesser extend Dybala).

I don't think that Sarri is a coach who can work with these "star players". He works better with good little soldiers like Mertens, Insigne and Callejon.

Unfortunately for Sarri, in any big club there will be egos and stars. The top managers know how to work around that, he doesn't. He's too stubborn to his philosophy.

This job is too big for him.

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
I think that Sarri works best when you give him a set of players who will do exactly what the coach says. At Napoli there was no doubt that he was the boss. All the players bought into his philosophy, worked hard off the ball, and the movement was how he wanted it to be.

At Chelsea and Juventus there are players with egos, players who move how they want to, and players who don't always press hard (Ronaldo, Hazard, and to a lesser extend Dybala).

I don't think that Sarri is a coach who can work with these "star players". He works better with good little soldiers like Mertens, Insigne and Callejon.

Unfortunately for Sarri, in any big club there will be egos and stars. The top managers know how to work around that, he doesn't. He's too stubborn to his philosophy.

This job is too big for him.
And all of this was clear as day in June 2019 too.

Apr 19, 2007
Completely disagree.
That midfield should dominate a poor team like Lyon. The players out there just didn't care. Pjanic was god awful, which has been a theme throughout the season. Rabiot looked lost while Bentancur was okayish but not good enough. He should've started Ramsey though, who is in decent form.
We were late to every challenge, poor at clearing and atrocious at passing under pressure.
Sarri is the main guy to blame because it's his job to motivate the players, which he didn't do.
Tactics really shouldn't matter when you're playing against a vastly inferior team- if you play to your abilities you will win 100% of the time.
The very fact that you said tactics dont really matter discredits your entire opinion. So you think Sarri is not to blame at all but the guys just decided not to care?

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
The very fact that you said tactics dont really matter discredits your entire opinion. So you think Sarri is not to blame at all but the guys just decided not to care?
lol, I literally said Sarri is the main problem.
Also, do you really think we need the best midfield in the world and a tactical genius to beat fucking Lyon? Man City and Liverpool, maybe, but Lyon?

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
this team needs too many midgets to play sarriball
On one hand you have Sarri, seemingly unable to adapt to the squad he has available. On the other hand you have a management that signed a coach with a specific style of football in mind, but without backing him up with the players he needs to make it work. A sublime combination.

The latter have become overly complacent over the years, throwing random players at their coach, thinking "Oh he'll make it work somehow." - But that coach is gone. Either keep Allegri if you intend to go on with your signing a freebie here and a freebie there strategy, OR, if you sack him, finally start listening to the demands of your new coach if you want him to play his football and buy players accordingly. We did neither.

We sacked a flexible coach for a inflexible one, but keep making the same random buys. No wonder shit is not working all too well at the moment.

For me this is all on the management IF we fuck up this season. After all it's not Sarri who has to be concerned about whether or not he is good enough for us, hell, I too would sign a contract as Juve coach if Pavel and Fabio came knocking tomorrow. No, the management makes that decision and they have to take the blame if it doesn't work.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
On one hand you have Sarri, seemingly unable to adapt to the squad he has available. On the other hand you have a management that signed a coach with a specific style of football in mind, but without backing him up with the players he needs to make it work. A sublime combination.

The latter have become overly complacent over the years, throwing random players at their coach, thinking "Oh he'll make it work somehow." - But that coach is gone. Either keep Allegri if you intend to go on with your signing a freebie here and a freebie there strategy, OR, if you sack him, finally start listening to the demands of your new coach if you want him to play his football and buy players accordingly. We did neither.

We sacked a flexible coach for a inflexible one, but keep making the same random buys. No wonder shit is not working all too well at the moment.

For me this is all on the management IF we fuck up this season. After all it's not Sarri who has to be concerned about whether or not he is good enough for us, hell, I too would sign a contract as Juve coach if Pavel and Fabio came knocking tomorrow. No, the management makes that decision and they have to take the blame if it doesn't work.
So you're finally seeing the bigger picture that it's not all Sarri's fault. About time.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
So you're finally seeing the bigger picture that it's not all Sarri's fault. About time.
I don't know what you are on about. Of course he's still a mediocre coach to me, and defeats to a 7th placed Lyon for example are mostly his fault, but of course the management is to blame as well. I always said that, even when Allegri was still here.

The picture hasn't changed at all. Bad coach AND bad decision from the management.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
When high IQ posters criticize Sarri the underlying statement is that we are criticizing the ones who put him there as much as the man himself. This is proven by the fact that the wisest minds of this forum (identifiable by Mandzukic and Allegri avatars) have spoken against Sarri's appointment 1 year ago as opposed to bottom of the barrel posters (identifiable by Costa and Sarri avatars)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
The 433 formation isn’t suited to the players Sarri has. That part is on management. The inability to adjust to what he does have however is on Sarri. both share blame. If it were up to me I’d fire both Paratici and Sarri.
Don't forget Goldilocks. You can't get rid of the cancer without removing both the tumor and the cyst ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hiring Sarri after having Allegri is like going from Business Class on Qatar Airways to flying cargo with Southwest.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 139)