Maurizio Sarri (94 Viewers)

Jan 22, 2016
New coach and new approach.
He needs at least 2 months to the season to implement his ideas.

We are showing gradual improvement at each game and this is the most important thing for us.

Just collect 3 points each game while working on our weakness to sort them out eventually.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
The fact that we let in 2 free kick goals is OK by me I guess. Things like that we can work on. It would have been more worrying if it was 3 counter attacking goals because of our new high defensive line.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The fact that we let in 2 free kick goals is OK by me I guess. Things like that we can work on. It would have been more worrying if it was 3 counter attacking goals because of our new high defensive line.
The first goal is a classic example of that. De Ligt took the blame as he lost his man but you could see he actually played Manolas offside, it's just that Emre Can didn't get the memo and played them all on.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I feel like the defensive argument is blown out of proportion around here. Sure it sucks that we conceded 3 goals but just a day before we've lost our most important defender, the leader and the captain. If Chiellini was there yesterday, you know we'd never concede 3 goals.

In the end the defense should only perform better from now on. Oncd MDL becomes more comfortable with the teammates and the league/language we should be fine. Replacing Chiellini is literally impossible so that requires work and time to fill that gap.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
We're worried because this happened early in the season and we don't know if we do have a problem in defense or it was just an accident. Normally, although not very often, these things happen to every team. Last year we were having fun with United, just to concede two late goals and then Martial missed 1 on 1 for a third goal. Or remember those CL encounters from the previous season, when teams like Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Ajax were losing 2 and 3 goals advantages, even if to some of them it happened in the 2nd leg, not on the same match.
If this match happened in round 24, it would have provoked a different reaction.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
We're worried because this happened early in the season and we don't know if we do have a problem in defense or it was just an accident. Normally, although not very often, these things happen to every team. Last year we were having fun with United, just to concede two late goals and then Martial missed 1 on 1 for a third goal. Or remember those CL encounters from the previous season, when teams like Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Ajax were losing 2 and 3 goals advantages, even if to some of them it happened in the 2nd leg, not on the same match.
If this match happened in round 24, it would have provoked a different reaction.
There was a season, I think maybe 2nd under Max but can't remember which, where even under our prime BBC and Buffon in goal we were conceding a lot in the early matches and eventually got it figured out and we became much harder to breakdown. I'm not really worried to be honest.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Those two freak goals they scored can happen against anybody, and with two new defenders one of which is replacing a captain and possibly the most solid defender around some errors are natural (though I think we gave them too much time on ball by defending space not ball) and im not worried in the least in our ability to be better in the future.That third equalizing goal though, was my only concern..Conceded two goals in a very short time, we are out of gas why didnt we manage the tempo? Can we control matches effectively.. If we can manage that, and we should, our attack is fuking scary...If this team starts to gel it can impregnate any defence..And this from a sarri skeptic..Good start all considered..

Last edited:

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
At least complain when we dont win, will make far more sense. So far so good. Seriously wtf. I enjoyed this game so much, as it reminded me of some calcio classics, like the one against Torino in 2001/02 when we squandered 3-0 lead and Salas missed penalty to make it 4-3. Rollercoaster of emotions, from highs to lows and back to feeling high again. I feel this team will make it count this season.
You enjoy because you’re a part of the problem with the direction that this club has taken.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
As disappointing as it was to concede three I am not worried overall.

We played a promising game and I view the goals conceded as having come from a few concerns: the new zonal marking on set pieces, building fitness levels, and the lack of currently available midfield subs.

Over time these are all issues that can be addressed as the team becomes more use to tactics, in better shape physically and Rabiot/ Ramsey are available to start or come on as subs when the midfield tires from high pressing.

My main area of concern would be Sarri's infamous stubborn loyalty to one system. Once we had gone 3-0 up and the players begun to tire you've got to have something to revert to other than that high press. It became way too easy for Napoli to beat it and find acres of space.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
You enjoy because you’re a part of the problem with the direction that this club has taken.
Club took direction they thought it was necessary to stay at top of the game or thereabout. We can evaluate it after this season ends, whether their call was right or wrong. And time and again we were proven wrong about this club and decisions they had made in the past. So Im just sitting back and enjoying the ride and victory over a rival in a cracking game. :)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Here, I will provide an actual criticism of Sarri that I think has some merit. The 3-2 goal is unnecessary IMO (It starts way before de Ligt). I'm fine with the line so high but why does Danilo have to press out from the line? Just keep all 4 back together and narrow. Zielinski takes the space Danilo leaves so easily and creates a break on goal out of completely nothing!

I think it's fine to press a bit in midfield but as soon as the fullbacks have to get pulled into midfield, they should stop. The instructions should be to leave that ball on the sideline and concede the possession there.

I don't know if this is Sarri or Danilo, or Pjanic should cover Zielinski (I don't think so), or Bonucci should yell at Danilo to stop but we have to sort this.

james95

Sep 2, 2018
The 3-2 goal is unnecessary IMO (It starts way before de Ligt). I'm fine with the line so high but why does Danilo have to press out from the line? Just keep all 4 back together and narrow. Zielinski takes the space Danilo leaves so easily and creates a break on goal out of completely nothing!
I was gonna comment on this last night. Danilo is definitely caught out of position for that Lozano goal which is what caused De Ligt to be caught in no mans land. Since the back-line was at a numerical disadvantage, the kid had a choice of either screening Lozano in the area and preventing that ball from reaching him or probing the oncoming run of Mertens. Danger was inevitable regardless of the decision he made which is why I don’t view that 2nd goal as calamitous on his own individual behalf but rather a team error.

The worrying thing is, I’m not sure if these are Sarri’s instructions or just Danilo being Danilo. He had the same positional/awareness issues at Real Madrid and City. I remember Madrid losing away to Wolfsburg in the CL some years ago (2016 I think) from a similar piece of play starting from Danilo being far up and caught out. I

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
i can understand the tactics of Sarri. but i am afraid the average age of our team will be huuuuuge issue.. i mean even the youngest player we have is quite a heavy tank.

no speed or stamina will handle the 2nd half problems and we will get fucked if we don't turn for defense.

rainhard

May 5, 2004
The only thing that really makes me happy is all of our goals come from open play and the players know what to do in attacking phase to create goals

As for defending, we were good in 1st half. In 2nd half its more about stamina and concentration, luckily in the end we get the 3 points
But for the long run, we need another aproach where we can do some possession to retain our lead in 2nd half

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yeh. The first half is what we should follow.

The 2bd half mistakes were shid but is too early to tell if this will be norm. Were huge fuck ups but too early to judge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)