Maurizio Sarri (108 Viewers)

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
If those 3:0 were there because the players were running like madmen for 60 minutes, and because of this they weren't able to function properly during the last 30 minutes, the manager's strategy is the root of the problem.
I feel like Carlo should get credit for his changes in the 2nd half, as they clearly played a role in why we almost threw away a clear win if it wans't for a late own goal.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I can't blame him for De Ligt, but it's exactly him that should tell the team to fall back and defend the lead.
I feel once this team gells properly, we wont be dropping back to defend the lead anymore. We are taking new approach and I just hope we have players for it. Our midfield still worries me a bit.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
If those 3:0 were there because the players were running like madmen for 60 minutes, and because of this they weren't able to function properly during the last 30 minutes, the manager's strategy is the root of the problem.
Well it's obviously true. Was it like that though? The players started to play again later on so I'm not sure about that.

Napoli did their part very well too. Ancelotti did very good changes while ours not so much I'd say. Danilo was obviously the right one but Can was actually bad I'd say. Dybala is difficult to rate but if it was me I'd throw in Rabiot instead of Matuidi as the 3rd one.

I can't blame him for De Ligt, but it's exactly him that should tell the team to fall back and defend the lead.
Yeah but he wasn't there to do that and we don't know if he'd have opted for that or not. We'll see how it goes in the future.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
We were totally gassed in the second half he needed to close the game by bringing a defender on
I think eventually he will just put Ronaldo in the centre and play with 2 wingers. Like Costa-Ronaldo-Cuadrado or something to kill the game.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Yep, we are not used to high pressure so we are gettong out of energy really early... some control tempo should be in place in some moments of the game
Midfield needs to do far better job, because for a while they couldnt string few passes together to shift the game to other end and relieve defense from being pressured

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Just have to wonder if we can play that style for 90 minutes every match. Is it an impossibility? Or do we just need to get fitter? The press is what takes it out of the players. Keeping the ball one you've gotten it - that's about positioning, technique etc. not running hard.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
Yeah, we really felt Khedira's absence.
exactly, we totally lost control of the game, it's still early and I'm sure we will improve, so It's a plus we got two wins and one against a direct rival but we will have to be a lot better if we want to win anything this season

- - - Updated - - -

Conte won't let us win if we defend like this

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Just have to wonder if we can play that style for 90 minutes every match. Is it an impossibility? Or do we just need to get fitter? The press is what takes it out of the players. Keeping the ball one you've gotten it - that's about positioning, technique etc. not running hard.
No side can do it for 90 minutes we definitely need better midfielder to control the game

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
That's Rabiot's strength, no? He's a no frills, intelligent midfielder similar to Khedira? Ramsey will be our best midfielder if he can stay fit.

The thing is that we lost control of the game because we stopped pressing. That gave Napoli space once they did win the ball. And every side will eventually get the ball back - it's whether they are pressured or not which determines their control of the ball. So, I don't see how we can "control" a game without pressing high and forcing a turnover.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
That's Rabiot's strength, no? He's a no frills, intelligent midfielder similar to Khedira? Ramsey will be our best midfielder if he can stay fit.

The thing is that we lost control of the game because we stopped pressing. That gave Napoli space once they did win the ball. And every side will eventually get the ball back - it's whether they are pressured or not which determines their control of the ball. So, I don't see how we can "control" a game without pressing high and forcing a turnover.
By keeping the possession of the ball and playing on the counter or changing the formation

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
lol our defending was pretty fucking bad today

we were 3-0.

THREE TO ZERO.

Our backline was cancer today
I’m not overly upset about today’s match. I found it fun, if a little chaotic, and we won. 3 points is 3 points. Same as it was during Allegri era.

In both matches we have looked incredibly shaky and poor in the 2nd half, but we’re just 2 matches into the season and that’s obviously fixable. But we’ve been sitting back too much on our leads in the last 30 minutes without showing much defensive solidity thus far.

It is ultimately up to the coach to get our back line performing to their world class capability and to make us solid closing out matches, and Sarri’s ability to do this over the next few months will be the difference between us being genuine CL contenders or not.

I do like that he had Costa looking like vintage 17/18 Costa, and Higgy and Pjanic looking like 16/17 vintage so far. Even Bonehead looks better than last year right now. Good signs.

Last edited:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I’m not overly upset about today’s match. I found it fun, if a little chaotic, and we won. 3 points is 3 points. Same as it was during Allegri era.

In both matches we have looked incredibly shaky and poor in the 2nd half, we’re just 2 matches into the season and that’s obviously fixable. But we’ve been sitting back too much on our leads in the last 30 minutes without showing much defensive solidity thus far.

It is ultimately up to the coach to get our back line performing to their world class capability and to make us solid closing out matches, and Sarri’s ability to do this over the next few months will be the difference between us being genuine CL contenders or not.

I do like that he had Costa looking like vintage 17/18 Costa, and Higgy and Pjanic looking like 16/17 vintage so far. Even Bonehead looks better than last year right now. Good signs.
a "little chaotic"? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 102)