Maurizio Sarri (193 Viewers)

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Tottenham's players are valuable and rated highly because they've improved under Poch. There's nothing dramatic or weird in rating Poch over Sarri, actually most people who follow football do. The only reason he's still at Spurs is because he seems to be more loyal than some other coaches.

Just look at the amount of money they've spent in transfer fees and wages compared to other top teams.
Yeah, but it's exactly the same with Napoli, you could attribute the pricetags of Higuain, Insigne or Koulibaly to Sarri just as easily as with Kane, Delle Alli or Son with Poch, without Sarri breaking the Napoli points records for 3 seasons in a row we probably don't see them as clear cut second team in Serie A ahead of Inter, Roma or whatever.

And I don't mind rating Poch over Sarri, that's reasonable as everyone sees footie a bit different, I might even agree with that as Poch is much more experienced at the top level. But I have a problem with the inconsistency in how they're treated on tuz. Most of the footie related criticism about beautiful football, overachieving, but cracking at the last step, not being able to win even the small trophies etc apply to both, but because of Sarri's history and general appearance, one is deemed a dream choice while the other a catastrophe.

Where's the "winning is the only thing that matters" attitude, if we allow tracksuits, napoli history or bad public image dictate who is a good coach and who is not?

Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, but it's exactly the same with Napoli, you could attribute the pricetags of Higuain, Insigne or Koulibaly to Sarri just as easily as with Kane, Delle Alli or Son with Poch, without Sarri breaking the Napoli points records for 3 seasons in a row we probably don't see them as clear cut second team in Serie A ahead of Inter, Roma or whatever.

And I don't mind rating Poch over Sarri, that's reasonable as everyone sees footie a bit different, I might even agree with that as Poch is much more experienced at the top level. But I have a problem with the inconsistency in how they're treated on tuz. Most of the footie related criticism about beautiful football, overachieving, but cracking at the last step, not being able to win even the small trophies etc apply to both, but because of Sarri's history and general appearance, one is deemed a dream choice while the other a catastrophe.

Where's the "winning is the only thing that matters" attitude, if we allow tracksuits, napoli history or bad public image dictate who is a good coach and who is not?
Napoli have been one of the top teams in Italy for some time now. Roma were our main rivals for a couple of seasons, but fell off because they sold too many key players. Inter and Milan have not been serious contenders for years. Napoli finished exactly where they were supposed to with Sarri (2nd/3rd).

Not wanting a guy who literally said that there's no shame in coming second is hardly a blow on someone's "winning is the only thing that matters" attitude.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You're preaching to the choir, chief.

I'm done knocking Sarri for now, I'll see what he can do first because I don't have any other choice. Hope he does well.
:tup:

Agree with you. Worried about this appointment, because he's really been a jekyll and hyde coach in his career (good in the league, awful in Europe at Napoli, and whatever you want to call his Chelsea season), and I dislike his personality and crassness immensely. But hoping for the best, because I want to see us win, and I could care less how much crow I have to eat if we do.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
:tup:

Agree with you. Worried about this appointment, because he's really been a jekyll and hyde coach in his career (good in the league, awful in Europe at Napoli, and whatever you want to call his Chelsea season), and I dislike his personality and crassness immensely. But hoping for the best, because I want to see us win, and I could care less how much crow I have to eat if we do.
Let's hope marrying up his philosophy with a strong team and well run club is a recipe for success.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Napoli have been one of the top teams in Italy for some time now. Roma were our main rivals for a couple of seasons, but fell off because they sold too many key players. Inter and Milan have not been serious contenders for years. Napoli finished exactly where they were supposed to with Sarri (2nd/3rd).

Not wanting a guy who literally said that there's no shame in coming second is hardly a blow on someone's "winning is the only thing that matters" attitude.
Before Sarri took over and lead them to three club points record breaking seasons, they finished 5th with 63 points under Rafa. That hardly screams the 2nd best team in the league.

I don't like Sarri's attitude in what he said and I don't like many things about him, but that won't make me lose my trust in the club, this isn't the Gigli-Secco-Blanc trio.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
giphy.gif

He's on a completely different level to Jorginho of course.
So Pjanic gonna be the one pulling strings? Would like to see him be the guy popping the ball into space for our attack. I miss that about Pirlo but Pjanic needs to be given what he needs to do that because he wasn't under Max.

Jun 6, 2015
Benitez was fired because that season was a huge failure. Before that season they finished 3rd behind Roma and Juve. Mazzarri was also able to finish 2nd and 3rd with a worse Napoli squad. As I said they've been a top 3 team in terms of quality for years now.

Sarri did well with Napoli I'm not denying that, but they still finished where they were supposed to finish.

Karna

May 17, 2019
Sarri Head to head against City

Chelsea 2:0 Man city
Man City 6:0Chelsea
Chelsea 3:4 Man City

against Spurs

Chelsea 2:0 Spurs
Chelsea 6:3 Spurs(Penalties)
Spurs 1:0 Chelsea
Spurs 3:1 Chelsea

Added
against Liverpool

Liverpool 2:0 Chelsea
Chelsea 1:1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1:2 Chelsea

At least he managed to beat them on different occasions, that's a relief at least :shocked2:

Last edited:

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Before Sarri took over and lead them to three club points record breaking seasons, they finished 5th with 63 points under Rafa. That hardly screams the 2nd best team in the league.

I don't like Sarri's attitude in what he said and I don't like many things about him, but that won't make me lose my trust in the club, this isn't the Gigli-Secco-Blanc trio.
And I have to add that its funny how people change facts to fit their agendas..
Napoli`s team is probably not even the 2nd best in Italy as Inter are probably stronger on paper.. So why did Napoli get 2nd and not Inter?! Because its not an exact science..
Napoli came after 2 seasons of 2nd place finish under Sarri who did an excellent job and with a positive mentality continuing their good momentum
Inter are the exact opposite! They may have a better team but they came from a negative spell and didnt find the right coach to make them a serious team!
I bet Inter will finish 2nd next season under Conte - Just wait and see.

as for Chelsea - On paper they might be inferior to Man Utd but mental wise they were better and then came Sarri - What Sarri did there wasnt remarkable as he didnt achieve something impossible or highly improbable but he did achieve the maximum you could expect from Chelsea..

Pochettino - Now this is a manager who just keep on overperforming year after year
Tottenham almost finish in the top 4 every year while they almost eliminated us last year and this year they got to the CL final! Now that is what I call impressive!
Klopp with Liverpool is another impressive case but this is not a game show so I`ll stop now..

- - - Updated - - -

Sarri Head to head against City

Chelsea 2:0 Man city
Man City 6:0 Chelsea
Chelsea 3:4 Man City

against Spurs

Chelsea 2:0 Spurs
Chelsea 6:3 Spurs
Spurs 1:0 Chelsea
Spurs 3:1 Chelsea

At least he managed to beat them on different occasions, that's a relief at least :shocked2:
Why didnt you add Liverpool...

Anyway he is not great but not poor in big games according to this

Jun 6, 2015
So Pjanic gonna be the one pulling strings? Would like to see him be the guy popping the ball into space for our attack. I miss that about Pirlo but Pjanic needs to be given what he needs to do that because he wasn't under Max.
I'm not sure you can have Pjanic in the team without him pulling the strings. He is that kind of player who likes to dictate the game.

Pjanic had some brilliant stretches of form under Allegri and some bad stretches of form. He was simply a bit inconsistent, which he has been throughout his career. In theory Pjanic should look "better" under Sarri as all his strengths are with the ball at his feet.

- - - Updated - - -

Ask @JCK ..true fan he is, he will go and watch it live in the stadium.
I will too. Sarrismo live :tuttosport:

It's the last friendly of the season though so I suppose the first friendlies are a few weeks before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 186)