Maurizio Sarri (83 Viewers)

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Of course we did, but it’s closer to playing our Serie C U-23 team today than to playing a CL level side. So those using it to discredit players who didn’t play today and prop up those who did are being retarded.
Agree. No starting XI is better without CR7 on it. But not seeing the likes of Matuidi, Can, Khedira makes us play much offensive football.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Agree. No starting XI is better without CR7 on it. But not seeing the likes of Matuidi, Can, Khedira makes us play much offensive football.
And regardless of the latest hot takes on Pjanic, and his poor form lately, an in-form Pjanic is still critically important for our CL chances, and is still our best CM even if Bentancur is our form CM since November and is improving leaps and bounds and may surpass him before too long.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Sarri: 'Goal of rare beauty'
by Football Italia2 hours ago
Maurizio Sarri said the Gonzalo Higuain duet with Paulo Dybala was “worth the ticket price, a goal of rare beauty” for Juventus, but won’t call it Sarriball.
The Bianconeri swept Udinese aside 4-0 this evening to set up a Coppa Italia Quarter-Final against either Roma or Parma.
“It’s always a bit unsure going into one-off knockout games, but we played very well for long periods of the match,” the coach told Rai Sport.
Cristiano Ronaldo was not even at the stadium after suffering from sinusitis, so Douglas Costa acted as trequartista behind Dybala and Higuain, who combined beautifully for the opening goal.
“Ronaldo had sinusitis for two days, he felt a bit better this morning, but then following the afternoon rest he started to get shivers and a temperature. On such a cold night in Turin, the doctors said it was not worth the risk, so we sent him to bed.
“That was a goal of rare beauty, to see three or four exchanges like that at high speed. It was worth the price of the ticket,” smiled Sarri.
He was asked if this was a sign of Sarriball, or in the Italian version Sarrismo, at Juventus.
“You invented Sarrismo, it’s not a term I created. This Juve is not and should not be Sarri’s Juve. It is the team of Cristiano Ronaldo, Dybala, Higuain, all important players who have brought success to every coach they worked with. I am trying to give some small contribution, but we must respect the characteristics of world class players.
“I love to see goals like that with fast passing, but they can only work with players of great technical quality. This team has that. I am happy with how we are working, but this squad has such potential that it could do more. Let’s just say we are getting results now with performances that bode well for an even better future.
“I would like to help Ronaldo win a sixth Ballon d’Or, as seeing someone out there with one more than him is a little annoying… In future, Dybala can challenge for the same objective, as he can make his mark on world football for years to come.”
Even in the Coppa Italia, Emre Can still didn’t get playing time, so is he on the market?
“I don’t know about the transfer market and I am not interested. I had only one substitution left and wanted to introduce Marko Pjaca, as he’d been waiting a long time to make his comeback and needed the confidence boost.”

athas

Jul 15, 2007
I’m happy that we have some good result with Sarri’s ball :D. Normally, his philosophy is difficult to implement, his style of coaching is very similar to Conte’s, but more difficult. Behind their idea is the science of habit. Professional players, especially in Italy, trained with many formations, each roles need different positions, movements, etc… things can make them confuse.

Sarri’s and Conte’s idea is simple to begin with: at certain situation, players need to do exactly certain actions. With this idea, players don’t have to think too much. Overthinking with being pressured, will likely lead to bad decision. And if players think less, they tend to react much faster. Conte always make average players look good because of this, example: how may times you see his fullback, when pressured, just one-touch pass the ball in the middle where two forwards move in a straight line to receive the ball?

The different between Sarri and Conte is Sarri’s idea have much more potential, but also much more difficult because players need to change many of their habit. When you were told all your life that don’t take risk, don’t pass the ball in close space, you can’t change this habit after several months. Habit change takes long time, with no guarantee of succeed. But high risk, high reward, we’ve seen Sarri’s Napoli compete with the best with much less source.

One more good thing about Sarriball is we don’t need too many world-beater. The midfielder doesn’t have to be a Vidal, just able physical, comfortable with the ball and brave mentality will do. This idea may reflect in our transfer strategy as well. We sign Kulusevsky – a player with good physical (ran 12km per game?), good ball hitter (+10 goals/assist already), and young (much easier to change habit than old ones), instead of Ericksen – great player but 28 years old and not strong enough mentality to make fast habit change. My prediction is our summer mercato will follow the same path, with Tonali and may be Aouar. Tonali is very raw, but he does has good physical, ability and above all very brave.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
I’m happy that we have some good result with Sarri’s ball :D. Normally, his philosophy is difficult to implement, his style of coaching is very similar to Conte’s, but more difficult. Behind their idea is the science of habit. Professional players, especially in Italy, trained with many formations, each roles need different positions, movements, etc… things can make them confuse.

Sarri’s and Conte’s idea is simple to begin with: at certain situation, players need to do exactly certain actions. With this idea, players don’t have to think too much. Overthinking with being pressured, will likely lead to bad decision. And if players think less, they tend to react much faster. Conte always make average players look good because of this, example: how may times you see his fullback, when pressured, just one-touch pass the ball in the middle where two forwards move in a straight line to receive the ball?

The different between Sarri and Conte is Sarri’s idea have much more potential, but also much more difficult because players need to change many of their habit. When you were told all your life that don’t take risk, don’t pass the ball in close space, you can’t change this habit after several months. Habit change takes long time, with no guarantee of succeed. But high risk, high reward, we’ve seen Sarri’s Napoli compete with the best with much less source.

One more good thing about Sarriball is we don’t need too many world-beater. The midfielder doesn’t have to be a Vidal, just able physical, comfortable with the ball and brave mentality will do. This idea may reflect in our transfer strategy as well. We sign Kulusevsky – a player with good physical (ran 12km per game?), good ball hitter (+10 goals/assist already), and young (much easier to change habit than old ones), instead of Ericksen – great player but 28 years old and not strong enough mentality to make fast habit change. My prediction is our summer mercato will follow the same path, with Tonali and may be Aouar. Tonali is very raw, but he does has good physical, ability and above all very brave.
I disagree about their coaching style. If anything conte and sarri are stark contrast. Conte is all about energy, grit and organisation. Sarri is more fluid in terms of player position off the ball, making the ball do the work more so than conte's system. Whilst conte is busy making his team do laps around the pitch and suicide runs, sarri is more about training with the ball at their feet, at least that's the impression I get from the snippets of their training videos the club publishes.
You can argue that sarri is more of a philosopher in his style, conte is just a coach who tells where people need to stand and a much easier system to drill into any side unlike sarri which requires a certain level of intelligence and skill of the squad which is why we have adapted better than say sarri's chelsea

athas

Jul 15, 2007
I disagree about their coaching style. If anything conte and sarri are stark contrast. Conte is all about energy, grit and organisation. Sarri is more fluid in terms of player position off the ball, making the ball do the work more so than conte's system. Whilst conte is busy making his team do laps around the pitch and suicide runs, sarri is more about training with the ball at their feet, at least that's the impression I get from the snippets of their training videos the club publishes.
You can argue that sarri is more of a philosopher in his style, conte is just a coach who tells where people need to stand and a much easier system to drill into any side unlike sarri which requires a certain level of intelligence and skill of the squad which is why we have adapted better than say sarri's chelsea
I agree with you that their style is different, what I say is their "core" idea is the same. And yes, I said Sarri's style take much more time for players to adapt. But I disagree with you on one thing: The change doesn't depend on intelligence, it depends on mentallity level and if playes believe in it or not.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Sarri: 'Evaluating Juve trident'
By Football Italia staff

Maurizio Sarri hinted he could bring back the all-star Juventus trident against Parma, but shrugged off Federico Bernardeschi to Barcelona rumours.

It kicks off on Sunday at 19.45 GMT, click here for a match preview.
The coach was asked in his press conference if he was going to return to the trident attack of Paulo Dybala, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gonzalo Higuain against a more defensive opponent like Parma.
“We’ll see how everyone is doing and then decide,” was his response.
“It’s not because we’re in Serie A, as there are times in the Premier League when I wouldn’t have used that system either. It depends on the balance of the team and the type of match you want to play.
“Only Higuain has a precise role, whereas the other two are instinctive and bring a lot of quality to every position they take. Dybala has done well alongside everyone, but clearly, when both Ronaldo and Dybala are on the field at the same time, we have to take counter-measures in other areas of the pitch.
“Parma are a solid team who play with great physicality and strong strikers. Their position in the table is surprising only to a certain degree. They are also extremely dangerous on the counter-attack and earned their best results away from home. Our attitude must be to not allow them the situations they tend to relish.”
Parma are expected to start Dejan Kulusevski, who has already signed for Juventus at a cost of €35m plus up to €9m in bonuses, but will remain on loan at the Tardini for six months.
“I hope tomorrow that our players are able to contain him and that he does well with us in six months from now.”
With regards to transfers, Sarri was asked about the Spanish reports that Federico Bernardeschi could be exchanged for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic.
“Nobody said anything to me, so as far as I am concerned, it’s not an issue.”
Juventus were crowned Winter Champions last week, breaking two points clear of Inter, but the Nerazzurri are investing in January with Ashley Young, probably Christian Eriksen and Olivier Giroud too. Does Sarri fear them?
“Fear is a big word, this is still just sport. I am not following what we are doing on the market, let alone what Inter are doing. We are aware that we can have our journey and that’s all that matters.
“The dumbest thing in football is trying to calculate when and where you might get points or drop them. You have to take it one game at a time, as six weeks is a lifetime in football.”

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I understand you don't want to bunker when defending a lead but we are sometimes defending with fucking 7 players and one is Pjanic.

Can you not just close it with a one striker formation? If you're subbing Dybala then just put Ronaldo in the middle with two wingers, Costa, Cuadrado even Berna can play on the counter, come on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)