Maurizio Sarri (141 Viewers)

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Fabregas said on Sarri: "He is very superstitious, he is very stubborn in this way.
"He is a manager with his own ideas and he doesn't move from them much.
He has an idea of how he wants to play and the football that he really wants to play. He doesn't move from it. No matter what you tell him, no matter what you advise him, no matter what your opinion is, he will never change.But he did it the way he likes it. He has his own vision of football and, in the end, he is where he is with it and you have to respect that."

Mar 3, 2014
How was his set piece defending with his previous clubs?
I just looked at some figures...
Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 6.49.22 PM.png

basically took all of Sarri's teams since his last year at Empoli, found # of set pieces conceded, took an annual average, and the calculated set pieces conceded as a percentage of total. I also did this for A) Juventus' teams, B) all teams that played against Sarri in his seasons C) the top teams in each year (4 in Serie A, 5 in EPL)

Conclusions:
1) Juventus' percentage is so high because of the low amount of total goals conceded. Hard to gauge how bad it is because they concede so many goals. Probably would be more meaningful to see # of set piece situations faced, but I don't have that stat. Although last year Juventus improved significantly, only letting in 6 (20% of all goals)
2) Roma has been stellar at set-pieces (averaged 5.66 over the last 3 years or 14%)
3) Sarri was unspectacular at set pieces, but not horrible. We was pretty decent with Napoli with an awesome 4 set pieces allowed in 2015-16...the other years were 7 and 10. But he was a disaster with Chelsea with 15 allowed. Basically tied for 2nd last in the league.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
I just looked at some figures...
Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 6.49.22 PM.png

basically took all of Sarri's teams since his last year at Empoli, found # of set pieces conceded, took an annual average, and the calculated set pieces conceded as a percentage of total. I also did this for A) Juventus' teams, B) all teams that played against Sarri in his seasons C) the top teams in each year (4 in Serie A, 5 in EPL)

Conclusions:
1) Juventus' percentage is so high because of the low amount of total goals conceded. Hard to gauge how bad it is because they concede so many goals. Probably would be more meaningful to see # of set piece situations faced, but I don't have that stat. Although last year Juventus improved significantly, only letting in 6 (20% of all goals)
2) Roma has been stellar at set-pieces (averaged 5.66 over the last 3 years or 14%)
3) Sarri was unspectacular at set pieces, but not horrible. We was pretty decent with Napoli with an awesome 4 set pieces allowed in 2015-16...the other years were 7 and 10. But he was a disaster with Chelsea with 15 allowed. Basically tied for 2nd last in the league.
We have already conceded 5 goals From set pieces

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
When set pieces defending is this lolterribad, it doesn't have much to do with zonal or man marking.

What Bentancur (who otherwise looked decent as regista, better or at least more fluent than Pjanic in both of last two games after coming on) did was inexcusable. Had nothing to do with either.

It looked fixed in previous game, but he had every player back to defend. Hindsight, but should've done the same for a couple more games till they got their senses together as a team defense unit.

rainhard

May 5, 2004
I decided to give him a chance because Im not in power which means I dont really have a choice.. Moaning and complaining will not help me much..
You want my opinion about him I could easily say I dont like his football and I find it very predictable + his too hot comment does not fit the Juve style.. Maybe he thought he is still Napoli`s coach..
Despite these 2 things I pulled from 5 seconds of thinking I have 2 options:
1. Whine and moan about him - Depressing myself all year before even having a reasonable reason as he is already here and judging him before results is premature..
2. Accept that he is our coach and wait a little bit further before criticizing him or even praising him (in case he surprises us)..

What Im saying its not an opinion rather a choice - You can give him a chance and moan after (or maybe not).. OR... You can moan at the start before even getting a reason..

Management - I honestly dont know what you want - Except for the Sarri thing we did everything we could but I guess this is up to debate..

As for the Analogy - I accept your opinion and I agree I could made a better analogy for that but the point is still valid..
He stood for his philosophy, and we dont have players with creativity to fully implement that. Our players looks like trying so hard to play what he wants but it is not look natural

The question is the creativity we need in Rabiot and Ramsey are not utilized too, feared we lose momentum to introduce Rabiot and he becoming flop. Because from pre season he play pretty good. But in his sub appearence againts Parma he did not give much impact

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

rainhard

May 5, 2004
I wanna hear People`s opinion

Wins Scudetto, eliminated in CHL Quater-finals/Semi-Finals. Stay or fuck off?

Wins Scudetto, lose CHL final. Stay or fuck off?

Second place in Serie A, wins CHL. Stay or fuck off?

Second in Serie A, QF/SF in CHL?

EDIT: Last one added after Garfield answered.
Fuck off all, we need UCL and retain 9 consecutive Serie A win

And I want the 10 one too

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Set piecee defending has been a weakness even under allegri.

Bonucci and benatia were guilty if it many times. Only chiellini is somewhat decent at it and he had lost his fair share of duels.

I'm all for giving zonal marking a try after 8 seasons of man marking.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002

Win Scudetto Win CL as for CI - I dont really care - play reserves and either we win or we dont..

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002

How about just Fuck Off!
But
Win CL and be instaLegend!

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Sarri: 'Got to work on set plays'

Maurizio Sarri admits Juventus “have to work on defending from set-plays, because we need to be more aggressive” after a 2-2 draw with Atletico Madrid.

Juan Cuadrado and Blaise Matuidi had given Juve a 2-0 lead at the Wanda Metropolitano in their Champions League opener, but two headers from set plays completed the comeback.

“It was a vast improvement from the last performance and we felt like the game was in our hands, so drawing leaves a bitter taste in the mouth,” the Coach told Sky Sport Italia.

“Juventus had not scored in this stadium for many visits and we got two goals, plus had another three or four shots on goal. It’s disappointing, because the Atleti goals came from predictable situations and yet we weren’t ready for them.

“The cliché would be to switch to man-marking, but I don’t think that makes sense. We need to be more aggressive on set plays. Atleti are very good in the air, but the ball was so weak and we were too passive, as it could’ve been cut out.

“If we’re being passive, then we’d be passive with man-marking too. I also see a lot of VAR incidents with man-marking lead to penalties, so that’s another area to be wary of. We will work on defending from set plays.”

Federico Bernardeschi was expected to start, but Juan Cuadrado was given the nod in place of injured Douglas Costa and scored the opening goal.

“We knew there would be spaces and Cuadrado’s pace and sharpness on the counter could be very useful.”

It was an improvement from the 0-0 draw with Fiorentina at the weekend, which particularly irritated Sarri.

“I think that against Fiorentina there were some negative situations and we let ourselves get distracted, so lost the focus on the real objective, which was to get three points.

The Viola were much more determined and I saw a physical gap, yet the statistics afterwards showed we ran better and had quicker accelerations.

“I therefore assume the difference was psychological, so they got to the ball first because they were more determined.

Tonight, we had the right level of determination and showed some of the things we try every day in training.

“Now we need to resolve the problem of set plays, as it’s penalising to concede four goals in three games from dead-ball situations.”

Sarri was asked about his constant note-taking, which seemed even more frenetic than usual this evening.

“On the bench and the lads in the stands write constantly to speed up the work the next morning. We allowed the opposition 20 turnarounds and that uses up a lot of energy. It also means we evidently had the ball in open spaces and were caught out.

“Cuadrado trained for two months as a full-back and today played in attack, so evidently that was my fault in training him for one role and then using him in another. I accept that might make it difficult for him.”

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Reasonable interview from Sarri there. Not sure how to feel about Zonal Marking but there is a huge bias against it
Every time it fails, pundits rant about it. Every time man marking fails, nobody gives a shit.

Might as well see if he can make it work, set pieces are a big problem for us regardless

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Imagine if 180 wholesale changes were made after every three samples like the 100m Pjanic pitchforkers demand. The team and world would be in continuous chaos.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 134)