Matthijs de Ligt (176 Viewers)

Juventinho

Hamilton saved my ass...
Nov 4, 2004
If there is a club willing to pay 100M euros then sell him immediately.

De Ligt came with the same exact price tag of Van Dijk, yet Van Dijk puts out world class performances and De Ligt has only potential that did not materialize yet.

Yes having what could "potentially" become the next best defender in the world is a great thing but definitely not worth 100M euros especially for a team playing with Rabiot in midfield.

We paid prime price for potential which is a luxury we can't afford, I'd sell him for those 100 and fill in the other more impactful gaps.

De Ligt is good but isn't putting performances anywhere near 100M, for 100M I'd expect a Nesta / Maldini prime level performance, just look at those 80M paid for Vlahovic and their impact and you'll understand what can be done for that kind of money.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Ahmedou

Oct 20, 2007
I don't think any club is going to offer that much money for him. It will be closer to 50/60. But to be honest I'd still take it if we have a good strategy and can replace him with Bremer for example. The latter would take half the salary and wouldn't cost anywhere near that price tag.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

De Ligt came with the same exact price tag of Van Dijk, yet Van Dijk puts out world class performances and De Ligt has only potential that did not materialize yet.

Yes having what could "potentially" become the next best defender in the world is a great thing but definitely not worth 100M euros especially for a team playing with Rabiot in midfield.

We paid prime price for potential which is a luxury we can't afford, I'd sell him for those 100 and fill in the other more impactful gaps.

De Ligt is good but isn't putting performances anywhere near 100M, for 100M I'd expect a Nesta / Maldini prime level performance, just look at those 80M paid for Vlahovic and their impact and you'll understand what can be done for that kind of money.

This is exactly why we never win CL. Always selling.

Ahmedou

Oct 20, 2007
Everyone is smart in retrospective.
Yes of course. Just saying it was a very expensive gamble to invest so much money on a 20-year-old CB. And the sacrifice we did to buy him turned out to be bad business.

Thankfully he is young and hasn't caught an injury, we can still cash out on him and build the team the right way. Keeping him with a 12M/year gross salary (that would become 17M if he were to stay beyond 2024) is not smart business for us.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yes of course. Just saying it was a very expensive gamble to invest so much money on a 20-year-old CB. And the sacrifice we did to buy him turned out to be bad business.

Thankfully he is young and hasn't caught an injury, we can still cash out on him and build the team the right way. Keeping him with a 12M/year gross salary (that would become 17M if he were to stay beyond 2024) is not smart business for us.
How did it turn out to be bad business?

Ahmedou

Oct 20, 2007
How did it turn out to be bad business?
We sold 2 potential elite fullbacks. We tried replacing our aging midfield by bringing in Ramsey and Rabiot. That was very bad business. Replacing Khedira and Matuidi with guaranteed quality should have been the absolute priority back then. Targetting SMS was a no-brainer.

It is not about De Ligt, I like him. It is about the whole business plan. We should have prioritized the real weaknesses.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
We sold 2 potential elite fullbacks. We tried replacing our aging midfield by bringing in Ramsey and Rabiot. That was very bad business. Replacing Khedira and Matuidi with guaranteed quality should have been the absolute priority back then. Targetting SMS was a no-brainer.

It is not about De Ligt, I like him. It is about the whole business plan. We should have prioritized the real weaknesses.
Yeah our overall transfer strategy was whack. No point in selling MDL now though, unless we get a crazy offer.

I guess we'll have to see what his contract demands are. You never know, he could be reasonable with the awareness that he already has a huge contract and won't ask for much more.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Yeah our overall transfer strategy was whack. No point in selling MDL now though, unless we get a crazy offer.

I guess we'll have to see what his contract demands are. You never know, he could be reasonable with the awareness that he already has a huge contract and won't ask for much more.
And then Raiola comes in :snoop:

Had he been an Italian, this would stand some chances of happening. For some time now my bet is that Chelsea will come in with a bag of money though (or some other EPL side). They're about to lose Rudiger, Christensen and the other two "starters" are oldies with expiring contracts. If we can't keep him, just squeeze 100m out of his sale and move on.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
A lot depends on the player himself. I think he's pretty comfortable with the salary he is currently getting. The only defenders getting more are Alaba and Varane I believe. If he wants to stay and the only way for us to do it is to extend at a similar number then he will have to agree. Otherwise he can go.

Still, not seeing many teams willing to offer him this kind of money.

Juventinho

Hamilton saved my ass...
Nov 4, 2004
This is exactly why we never win CL. Always selling.
No not really, you will never win the UCL with a midfield containing Rabiot. To assess the De Ligt business you must look at the bigger picture and not just his transfer.

We can do and win without him if we have a world class attack and midfield, between Bremer, Bonucci and Chiellieni as well as Romagnoli or another signing our defense will do, with all due respect to De Ligt we are not replacing Nesta but rather the potential of it.

Imagine you sell him and get SMS for 70 and sign Pogba for free, reinforce the back with Bremer, Romagnoli and Lodi, now that is a team capable of winning the UCL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 173)