Matthijs de Ligt (43 Viewers)

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
In all honesty, the third goal wasnt really on him. He had his player covered, would have cleared the ball but it just kinda went between his legs. The 2nd Napoli goal was on him, should have made thr full sprint, he just kinda stopped. But still, it was a counter by Napoli so we were really exposed.
I don't see it that way.

Third goal was on him.
De Ligt was too focused on Lozano's movement before the ball got into play and completely missed his marker once he switched his focus on the ball. He started his run to late and couldn't catch up with Lozano. He should never have put himself in a situation where he had to make a flying tackle to clear the ball. In these situations, you really start to appreciate the defending of Chiellini and how easy he makes it look on set-pieces.

Second goal was however not entirely De Ligts fault. Bonucci went wide to cover for Danilo and De Ligt was all alone in the middle. De Ligt had to decide wether to stay with Mertens or go for Lozano. Had he gone for Lozano, then Mertens would be 100% clear on goal. Second goal was a collective failure, not solely on De Ligt.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Oct 23, 2011
Inexcusable today, but he will be absolutely fine. He has the right aggression and most of the time covers the spaces really well, especially for a 20 year old. He should be starting after the break without a doubt.

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
He completed his hattrick in terrible debut performances, good, now that its over he can fully focus on tactical lessons and getting to know his teammates bettes, and of course for them to know him better. Those fuck ups could have been avoided and with time those 4 would form a solid back line.

He should definitely start vs Fiorentina and Atletico, he's a strong character and the opposite of a mental pussy so today's performance will motivate him rather than crush his confidence. Let him play, let him make mistakes, work with him on the mistakes, groom and prepare him to be a leading Juve center back, which is very hard task to accomplish and it takes way more than one night.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
probably coppa italia!!
that's not what he did at Ajax.
We should start him against Parma actually. Our coaching staff are cowards

They just dont have balls to use new players

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
If we don't give him trust in the next few games, it could impact his confidence. I posted this below in the match thread, I think it's relevant:

"Waiting for playing a new player that is starter worthy is not the best way to integrate a new player in my opinion. Maybe the main thing where I disagreed with Max. Luckily we didn't do it with Ronaldo.

The thing that worries me is that de Ligt looked nervous in pre-season. I'd prefer if we give him trust from the get go. Otherwise the longer we wait we could influence his confidence"
Im sorry to beat around the bush but yes I do. Otherwise what was the point of splashing out all that money on him if weren't expecting him to do exactly that.
De Ligt was our star signing and we spent a lot of money on him. You cannot compare him to Cancelo and Man City.
There is not a single reason why he could not of started yesterdays game its parma ffs i dont see why he must "win" the spot from bono when he has been terrible for multiple seasons now and de ligt just came off a great one, like i said you dont see de jong having to "win" hes spot for barce they just played he right form the start becauses he better than there other mids and want him to get him up to speed fast as possible.
How if Bonucci and Chiellini will stay fit
Your thoughts, lads?

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
He completed his hattrick in terrible debut performances, good, now that its over he can fully focus on tactical lessons and getting to know his teammates bettes, and of course for them to know him better. Those fuck ups could have been avoided and with time those 4 would form a solid back line.

He should definitely start vs Fiorentina and Atletico, he's a strong character and the opposite of a mental pussy so today's performance will motivate him rather than crush his confidence. Let him play, let him make mistakes, work with him on the mistakes, groom and prepare him to be a leading Juve center back, which is very hard task to accomplish and it takes way more than one night.
This is not the place to make amateurish mistakes

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
This is not the place to make amateurish mistakes
Then what to do, send him on loan to Genoa?

Cmon, mistakes is how you learn not to repeat them, he's got a long road to go, he'll get there.

For example today Sarri learned that introducing Can in those kind of games weakens our midfield regardless of who the other players are also on the field...

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Tell that to Bonucci
Yes bonucci is responsible for de ligt making mistakes looks like we have signed younger version of bonucci

- - - Updated - - -

Then what to do, send him on loan to Genoa?

Cmon, mistakes is how you learn not to repeat them, he's got a long road to go, he'll get there.

For example today Sarri learned that introducing Can in those kind of games weakens our midfield regardless of who the other players are also on the field...
That is my problem he looked shaky in the pre season and Demiral was the best defender I know de ligt has carried a lot of hype but it would be better to make him sit on the bench and the learn the art of defending

Last edited:

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
You might say that it was the newly introduced zonal marking on set-pieces which was the entire defenses undoing. It's a massive change. But if I recall, we conceded quite a lot on set pieces last season.

james95

Sep 2, 2018
You might say that it was the newly introduced zonal marking on set-pieces which was the entire defenses undoing. It's a massive change. But if I recall, we conceded quite a lot on set pieces last season.
Yeah, we were never good on set-pieces anyway.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Agreed, but you can't stop the panic train. No one ever can.

But question is, who starts next game or a few games from now, and how many points are we willing to sacrifice now.
We have Atletico Madrid in the champions League who are going to exploit our weakness in the set pieces so Demiral has to start

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
aside from being a new player, in a new league, new language, and new partner in defense

he's also 20 years old. mistakes happen when you twenty. put up and let him learn.

would you want to be fired everytime you make a mistake at work?
Add that left centre position, that might be new to him, and also that the game was possibly against the best Italian opposition.

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
WOW, I watched the three Napoli goals again. He made three mistakes, not two. He missed three times his man. Horrible performance. Lozano made him his bitch tonight.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I expected a 20 year old Dutch kid to be like Baresi in his prime.

But yeah, steep learning curve. Didn't someone say how he always has shit debuts? Doesn't get more shit than this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)