Matthijs de Ligt (87 Viewers)

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Really? Lucas Hernandez was bought for 80m two years ago by the same club who just bought De Ligt, who is just as much of a prospect as Lucas Hernandez ever was. When you are looking to sell a prospect of that caliber, you don't just accept the first offer that comes in. Again I get why he was sold, it's just strange that there were no other serious bidders reported.
The main point in questioning that we could have maybe made more out of this sale is indeed valid but have we stopped for a moment to ask ourselves if Lucas Hernandez, Lisandro Martinez or even De Ligt himself when we purchased him were coming off after a couple of seasons in a row where they underperformed or did not live up to the expectations of being the highest paid players in their respective league?

Cumulated also with him wanting out after it became apparent that we aren’t going to renew him unless he takes a pay cut or we give in to a release clause similar to what we sold him for now anyway but which could have put us in a risky position of losing him at a worst time when we would have been less ready to react to his departure is another important factor to consider in the big picture here.

I’d say there’s a lot of context that is left out and at the end of the day we probably got what we believed he is worth at this moment while also clearly needing the cash and wanting to get his massive wages off our books as soon as possible so that we can move quickly for Bremer and make our next steps towards rebuilding the team.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Wether anyone thinks De Ligt was worth 80m or not the fact of the matter is that we suck at selling as history proves.

Need to get better at this. Especially if players keep using us as a stepping stone.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Wether anyone thinks De Ligt was worth 80m or not the fact of the matter is that we suck at selling as history proves.

Need to get better at this. Especially if players keep using us as a stepping stone.
I wish we got more and wish MdL had stayed longer… I think he will be a top defender for years… but he wanted to leave and after three years of being good but nowhere near the generational €75 mil talent we thought we were buying, why would anyone buy him for more than what we got? And if we refuse to sell him, we don’t get Bremer, who was on an entirely different level from MdL this past season. We sold a player who wanted to leave and replaced him with a 25 year old best defender in the league from last year. It’s not this management’s fault that the last management significantly overpaid for MdL.

Like with bonuses in most sales they are most likely reasonably achievable, so we’re likely getting close to 77 mil anyways. I’d say that’s a very fair price for him. More so given we replaced him for ~47 mil with bonuses included and significantly lower wages.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Obviously just because he is not hyped like de ligt he is not Mr Nobody.
I meant nobody knew him and he just shone this past year. We are not getting a risk free replacement - there is a gamble there.
We are replacing MDL with someone who shone for 1 year and played in a 3 CB formation.
Im not saying he cant replicate his previous season but Im also not saying it is a sure thing.

Anyway Im happy we are getting him since he did show determination concentration and very good defensive skills. Im optimistic about him even if recognize there arent just positives.

Tomate

Jul 19, 2014
Something just doesn't add up...

We buy de Ligt for €85m in 2019:
  • Unproven in top league
  • 19 years old

We sell de Ligt for €67m in 2022:
  • 87 Serie A games
  • 18 additional CL games

Screenshot 2022-07-19 at 18.44.53.png

You can't argue we got the right price for him. You can argue we overpaid back in 2019..
Transfermarkt is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent when it comes to transfer fee's.

We paid 75m + 10,5m and received 67m + 10m. Gap isn't as big as they make it seem.

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articles/de-ligt-is-bianconero

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011
Transfermarkt is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent when it comes to transfer fee's.

We paid 75m + 10,5m and received 67m + 10m. Gap isn't as big as they make it seem.

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articles/de-ligt-is-bianconero
Seems legit. I guess we didnt pay the bonus then, seeing as he was brought in to win the CL with CR7 and all, and we failed hard at that. Fingers crossed we actually only paid €75m for him then..

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
We sell less when player under-performs like shit. We d

We undersold because he underperformed. Simple.
Yeah, I don't know how that is so mind-blowing to some.
When seria a defender of the year goes for 47 and a wc cb in KK goes for 40, a cb who's overpayed and underwhelming in his time here should go for 100.
If de ligt would have been irreplaceable I doubt that this management would not do everything in their power to renew, even upping his salary with all the salary cap remaining from the dybala and Ronaldo contract.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Seems legit. I guess we didnt pay the bonus then, seeing as he was brought in to win the CL with CR7 and all, and we failed hard at that. Fingers crossed we actually only paid €75m for him then..
The additional costs in this case aren’t bonuses. The €10.5 mil in additional costs were agent commissions/etc. €75 mil was what we paid Ajax. Bayern is paying us up to €77 mil if the bonuses are fulfilled and then will have additional costs like commission beyond that. Those haven’t been released yet, so Transfermarkt doesn’t show them. They never show them for lots of transfers but because we are publicly traded and release that info they add them onto our transfers. All clubs pay them though.

- - - Updated - - -

Serie A defender of the year is a nice award but come on
But people are melting down about losing MdL for up to 30 mil more, who also played in Serie A and performed nowhere near as well this past season. Can’t have it both ways, right. Can’t say being top defender in the league is meh, but then bitch about losing a defender who was nowhere near the league’s top defender in his three years here.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Then why didn't de ligt win it once in his 3 tries?
He was the best defender in the league, according to some.
Okay Bremer is better than De Ligt, not talking about that though.

Serie A defender of the year... okay.

- - - Updated - - -

The additional costs in this case aren’t bonuses. The €10.5 mil in additional costs were agent commissions/etc. €75 mil was what we paid Ajax. Bayern is paying us up to €77 mil if the bonuses are fulfilled and then will have additional costs like commission beyond that. Those haven’t been released yet, so Transfermarkt doesn’t show them. They never show them for lots of transfers but because we are publicly traded and release that info they add them onto our transfers. All clubs pay them though.

- - - Updated - - -

But people are melting down about losing MdL for up to 30 mil more, who also played in Serie A and performed nowhere near as well this past season. Can’t have it both ways, right. Can’t say being top defender in the league is meh, but then bitch about losing a defender who was nowhere near the league’s top defender in his three years here.
But I'm not talking about De Ligt. Just saying, Serie A defender of the year doesn't hold much weight IMO.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I can say it in peace now...

He's Overrated & error prone.
I mean many of us formed this opinion even in his years here. He’s a good player with definite potential to be great, but he hasn’t really developed much after three years with us. Still error prone, still prone to lapses in concentration and he quite simply cost us too much for the output he gave us on the pitch. I have no real sadness in seeing him leave, just wish we could have fetched a slightly higher fee for him.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Lolkthxbye

We grossly overpaid for him initially and to him yearly, this was always going to be the result. I think he's quite overrated as well after seeing him play. Never really cared for him while here, and don't now that he's leaving as well.

Seriously, has anyone ever felt any strong emotion towards him at all this whole time, positive or negative?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 80)