Mathematician turns down a million (1 Viewer)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
John might be interested in this

Dr Perelman today declined the Fields Medal, the ‘Nobel Prize’ of maths

Dr Perelman is the latest star to adorn the firmament of celebrity. At lunchtime today, it was announced that he had declined the Fields Medal, the 'Nobel Prize' of mathematics. Dr Perelman is a shoo-in for the $1m reward, awarded by the American financier and maths enthusiast Landon Clay, for solving a century-old problem known as the Poincare Conjecture.

Continue here...

The problem solved by Dr Grigori Perelman will make anyone who last did maths at school feel glad to have quit when they did.

Read about it here

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Actually, the guy is nuts. I'd heard about him a while back. He'd already said he was refusing the Fields Medal and the million. I guess it's official now.

There's a very interesting related story. The New Yorker published an article about a Chinese mathematician who was trying to take credit for Perelman's work.
http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/060828fa_fact2

Then, there's a very interesting rebuttal from the Chinese guy.
http://www.doctoryau.com/9.18.06.pdf

I'd recommend you read them both, in order. The article leaves you feeling that he's a scoundrel, the rebuttal leave you feeling that the New Yorker article is an awesome hatchet job.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
it was on the colbert report a while back, apparently some chinese dudes tried to take credit for some fo his work so he went all ape shit and is back in his mom's basement formenting his vendetta "monte schizo"

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Altair said:
it was on the colbert report a while back, apparently some chinese dudes tried to take credit for some fo his work so he went all ape shit and is back in his mom's basement formenting his vendetta "monte schizo"
If you read the articles above, well, I guess I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like the Chinese guy was done. He credited Perelman's work appropriately.

@Martin: how else would he respond? If he's not hiding behind them, then the New Yorker article is probably the single worst piece of defamation I've ever seen - it basically ruins his academic career unless he can crush it like an egg. Even if he's vindicated, his career will be seriously hurt by it.

juventu

Sep 25, 2006
Due to the reputation of Shing-Tung Yau, his story is currently severely 'debated' in China, but the fact is that until now neither Yau's supporters nor opponents is able to convince the other side... anyway, if the report of New Yorker is proved to be true, will feel sorry for Yau.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)