out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Cause we've done it in the past.
This is a different team...

With our previous teams, you could see now and then during the season that the potential to raise the level was there, even if we were "conserving energy" most of the time. This season the attack and defence have shown what they can do, but so far the midfield hasn't shown that it can step it up a level or two which will be needed.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012

With our previous teams, you could see now and then during the season that the potential to raise the level was there, even if we were "conserving energy" most of the time. This season the attack and defence have shown what they can do, but so far the midfield hasn't shown that it can step it up a level or two which will be needed.
Every single big game this year we've played at a very high level. All in CL (even @YB we should've won if CR bothered to show up), then Napoli, Milan, Inter, Roma in the league.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Every single big game this year we've played at a very high level. All in CL (even @YB we should've won if CR bothered to show up), then Napoli, Milan, Inter, Roma in the league.
Hmm, maybe you're right. My memory is bad when it comes to Juve these days.

Ah well, I'm only hoping that we're saving something better for later.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Based on what piece of evidence?

We complain about our midfield and drop points in CL even when playing 3 of our CMs.

We need to play to our strengths. Our strengths are not fielding 3 of our static midfielders. That's like playing with a man less in our case.
CL final 2017. Real Madrid world class midfield with Kroos, Isco, Modric, Casemiro overrun our midfield.

Dont see this trend with other big teams either so i dont know why gamble.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013

With our previous teams, you could see now and then during the season that the potential to raise the level was there,
Oh you could see that huh.

Sure you and your kin weren't complaining then too?

- - - Updated - - -

Based on what piece of evidence?

We complain about our midfield and drop points in CL even when playing 3 of our CMs.

We need to play to our strengths. Our strengths are not fielding 3 of our static midfielders. That's like playing with a man less in our case.
It depends on who's playing.

With Pjanic, it needs to be a three-man central midfield.

Otherwise, it should be two: Can-Matuidi. (And I think that's the best all things considered.)

Said as much in summer or at start of the season. Allegri also finally came to the same conclusion after Lazio game (w/o mentioning which is better). He had to play 3-man mid w/o Pjanic vs Atalanta b/c Can was ill and Pjanic wasn't 100%.

Last edited:

juve103423

Mar 22, 2010
CL final 2017. Real Madrid world class midfield with Kroos, Isco, Modric, Casemiro overrun our midfield.

That was quite a different team we had back then. De Sciglio, Barzagli, Asamoah all playing and Ronaldo on the other side.
Had we put current Matuidi - Pjanic - Khedira out there, they would have gotten murdered as well I think.

I think every team is trying to play to their strengths, and I dont see how benching our expensive winger acquisitions and fielding our mediocre midfielders is us utilizing our best strengths. If we had bought Pogba and SMS, then yes, let us shape our team around our strong midfield axis to carry us. But we have Khedira, Matuidi, Pjanic (not the shiny one we thought we bought), Bentancur and Can. Who are good fillers and good at side passes. Not long range shots, dribbles and speed.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013

That team was balanced (thanks to Mario doing the work of a DM defensively, and Khedira was slightly faster) up till the final.

In the final, Khedira wasn't 100% from the start (Marchisio should've started) and both Mandzukic and Pjanic were limping by half time.

Losing the game after that was inevitable one way or the other. For that midfield to be balanced, all three needed to be fit.

Real players were purposefully targeting Mandzo bumping into him and kicking him (well done Zidane).

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Oh you could see that huh.

Sure you and your kin weren't complaining then too?

- - - Updated - - -

It depends on who's playing.

With Pjanic, it needs to be a three-man central midfield.

Otherwise, it should be two: Can-Matuidi. (And I think that's the best all things considered.)

Said as much in summer or at start of the season. Allegri also finally came to the same conclusion after Lazio game (w/o mentioning which is better). He had to play 3-man mid w/o Pjanic vs Atalanta b/c Can was ill and Pjanic wasn't 100%.
Don't be rude, child

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
That was quite a different team we had back then. De Sciglio, Barzagli, Asamoah all playing and Ronaldo on the other side.
Had we put current Matuidi - Pjanic - Khedira out there, they would have gotten murdered as well I think.

I think every team is trying to play to their strengths, and I dont see how benching our expensive winger acquisitions and fielding our mediocre midfielders is us utilizing our best strengths. If we had bought Pogba and SMS, then yes, let us shape our team around our strong midfield axis to carry us. But we have Khedira, Matuidi, Pjanic (not the shiny one we thought we bought), Bentancur and Can. Who are good fillers and good at side passes. Not long range shots, dribbles and speed.
De sciglio was at Milan then. Dont think Asamoah started. I am talking about 2017 CL final here.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Exactly. Rather have one of our good wingers start over one of the so-so at best CMs.

And only the Can-Matuidi pair makes the midfield/team balanced with a 2-CM formation. Sub Can for anyone else, and that's too light.

Latest evidence: Chievo game. Last time we played as well was a while ago.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
It's taking him too long to find the best formation/lineup. Our football has only gotten more cancerous as the season goes on.

But he's entitled to the benefit of the doubt until we suffer a catastrophic exit against Atlético.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 209)