out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Nah. He didn’t. You’re just a grass is greener on the other side kinda guy. Chelsea, last year was Uber defensive every single time I watched them. They were a solid, well-organized team who squeaked out wins that way. They were significantly less attack-oriented than Allegri teams from his first stint which speaks volumes as to how defensively they played. Tuchel organized the team to suit the players he had at his disposal and did it well.

Looks like it might be changing this year, but revisionism about last year is silly.
Chelsea play higher up the pitch and still press when they have the lead. They don’t drop intensity and completely change after a lead. Your stats also don’t tell the whole story, just look at the results last season. I don’t like Tuchel either tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow, I knew they scored very little. Didn't realise it was that little.
Please actually watch matches and don’t just believe blind stats.

Buy on AliExpress.com

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Chelsea play higher up the pitch and still press when they have the lead. They don’t drop intensity and completely change after a lead. Your stats also don’t tell the whole story, just look at the results last season. I don’t like Tuchel either tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol2: I watch more EPL games than I like to admit, so I did watch a fair bit of Chelsea games. I should probably start taking pictures and sent you a collage :heart:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

No they really didn’t last year. :lol:

They literally had 35-40% possession last year against teams like Madrid and City in CL, parked the bus and countered. They consistently dropped deep and hunkered down with a lead. They were very solid, but did so on the back of a lot of 1 goal results. They barely averaged 1 goal/game in league and CL. And created very few good scoring chances. 25 in 19 league matches with Tuchel and 9 in 7 CL matches with him. They scored more than 1 goal in only 12 of those 26 matches. They won thanks to their defensive organization and solidity. Exclusively.

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Talk about incremental improvement in defense or otherwise every other 45 mins when cumulative results are all time record tying level awful and end objective is pretty much out of reach already :lol:

Briefly viewed Man Utd forum yesterday. They're smarter. Certain members bringing the avg down with hilarious insecurity and usual top tier inputs.

Wrong about everything including legendary takes like no to spending 20m for Halland, arguing Real weren't favored in CL and comparing saying so to anti-Juventini and calciopoli, Caldara being the reason why Atalanta was doing so well and how they now will be lower table team, panicking about "50m" Milik, going on about 100m Pjanic for..half a decade, Tek > Donnarumma, 150m Lautaro, Pep Pirlo, Dybala > Del Piero after Dybala's first season, etc, etc. Those are just few highlights. It's literally odd takes and being proven wrong (wouldn't matter as much but how they act make the diff lol) about every single "passionate" repetitive..input, whether it's players, projections, anything of this or any other team. Ultra manletness on show (yet again) as if one more would make any difference. :lol:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No they really didn’t last year. :lol:

They literally had 35-40% possession last year against teams like Madrid and City in CL, parked the bus and countered. They consistently dropped deep and hunkered down with a lead. They were very solid, but did so on the back of a lot of 1 goal results. They barely averaged 1 goal/game in league and CL. And created very few good scoring chances. 25 in 19 league matches with Tuchel and 9 in 7 CL matches with him. They scored more than 1 goal in only 12 of those 26 matches. They won thanks to their defensive organization and solidity. Exclusively.
Here you go.

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/manager-analysis/thomas-tuchels-chelsea-tactics/

If anything it’s more like Conte IMO.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2015
yes, but also it also helps them they have 2 of the best modern midfielders in jorghino and kante to protect their defense. we don't have that unless locatelli and arthur become top players for us
Yeah, Kante in front of the defence definitely helps them quite a bit defensively. I wouldn't say Jorginho is known for his ability to protect the defence however. He does help them a lot when they do have the ball though.

- - - Updated - - -

Tuchel and Allegri’s teams aren’t even comparable tbh.
Obviously every team is different with their own weaknesses and strengths. Just highlighting that Max isn't the only coach in the world who sees the importance of building on a strong defence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 303)