Martin goes to Barcelona (1 Viewer)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
How was the weather? Did you go to see the stuff made by Gaudí the church La Sagrada Familia, etc? thats just awesome I love Gaudí

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #7
    fabi, the weather wasn't really tropical. In fact I heard someone remarked it was one of the coldest weeks of the year. Temperatures around 10-12 degrees down to 5-6. It was actually snowing in Spain and Catalunya in that period, we had some of that on the last day of our visit.

Yeah we saw a bunch of the Gaudi stuff. I have to say that the shapes are at times interesting but the colors for the most part are dreadful. All in all I was hardly dazzled but perhaps I'm hard to please. It's certainly a quite unique style and I guess it's worth seeing just to see for yourself whether you like it or not.

La Sagrada Familia I enjoyed the most of his work, the front entry to the church was looking very modern, which is very rare and I thought it was a good innovation. As you probably know it's very much a work in progress and on the inside there isn't that much to see. However the columns, apparently inspired by trees, are interesting. Gaudi set out to emulate nature and some of his ideas are quite innovative I think.

From a city perspective I liked Valencia more. It's spacier and less busy, it's also more modern. It's not that I don't appreciate Gothic cathedrals but there's nothing like really modern architecture, which is what Valencia has.

John, yes, two of them. Valencia - Barcelona was the first one, great atmosphere as the Mestalla is a nice stadium, even if you have the cheapest seats you still get a good view of the action. I was disappointed at how wasteful the hosts were, their build up play was decent but they just could not make that final pass which would lead to a chance. I also felt all the calls were against them, it's hard to judge from way up there so I don't know if it was fair. I liked Mista a lot, he works with the team and has the skill to create as well as to score. In contrast, Oliveira was very static and hardly saw the ball. Rufete was his usual awkward self, brilliant at times, clumsy for the most part. He saw much of the ball so it was very frustrating to see him give it away. In the end it was Gerard who scored the only goal, he did not celebrate as an ex-Valencia player. Davids was not playing, nor was Aimar. Ronaldinho stood out as he's very skilled (obviously) and he made one brilliant no look pass but Saviola wasted it. In the end it's almost like I wanted Barcelona to score as they had the better play in the 2nd half. Their players were falling like flies, didn't really see how bad it was but Valencia are known to play rough.

The other was Espanyol - Valencia. Still hoping for a VCF win but just as the game kicked off it started snowing. We weren't prepared for that (not like it's Norway) and we walked out of the game, as did many others. Most people hid under the roof that goes all around the arena and few stayed in their seats. I later found out that Valencia lost again but the game wasn't much cause of the snow.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Martin goes to Barcelona
    I've never really been impressed by him. I think he'll be a failure there. Barcelona's not a very good place for maturing players anyway.

Oh wait, what are we talking about again?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    ...just as the game kicked off it started snowing. We weren't prepared for that (not like it's Norway) and we walked out of the game, as did many others. Most people hid under the roof that goes all around the arena and few stayed in their seats. I later found out that Valencia lost again but the game wasn't much cause of the snow.
    Wimp! I'd have braved it out. But then, I'm Irish - I'd have worn a coat. :D

I heard that Canizares complained that he couldn't see high balls because of the snow on the Catelonian mountains! Valencia unsuccessfully demanded that the ref replace the ball with an orange one. He refused on the basis that it would clash with their kits!! :rofl: A unique incident, methinks.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Wimp! I'd have braved it out. But then, I'm Irish - I'd have worn a coat. :D
    I've been to games where it snowed but at those times I was dressed appropriately for the occasion ;)

++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    I heard that Canizares complained that he couldn't see high balls because of the snow on the Catelonian mountains! Valencia unsuccessfully demanded that the ref replace the ball with an orange one. He refused on the basis that it would clash with their kits!! :rofl: A unique incident, methinks.
    They did but the color of the ball was identical to their kits so they kept the white one. I wonder if that's the excuse Canizares used to explain how the ball slipped out of his hands into the net.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    lucky you...

trips are always amazing....
    i hope you had a good time because i am quite ored reading all the comments above!!!

:thumb:

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Wow, sounds like a great trip Martin. I've always wanted to go to Barcelona...

My family has a house not to far from Valencia. It's a shame that Carew isn't there anymore, I'm sure you would have loved to see him. ;)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Gaudi's stuff is awesome, especially the church and those buildings!! they're amazing!! I've never been to Valencia though, and hopefully Im going back to Barcelona in august

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    fabi, the weather wasn't really tropical. In fact I heard someone remarked it was one of the coldest weeks of the year. Temperatures around 10-12 degrees down to 5-6.
    man this is the first week since december than we have temperatures higher than 0.:down:

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    wellcome back
    and it sounds like you had a lot of fun
    so i hope you have ever more fun whenever you go on a trip again ..... where you planning to go next ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)