Martin Cáceres (5 Viewers)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
apart from barza we have no good defenders, martin is still the best of the worse
and yes, I have lost all faith in chiello
I have to agree with you that with each passing day, chiello turns more and more into a caveman. Before he had a good balance, but im growing a little too tired of his stupid fouls and useless and uneeded runs with the ball at his feet.

And Treq, Caceres at least is a proper defender who can start for us. Bonucci is plain waste.

Oct 4, 2011
Like MikeM says, Chiellini's drop in form as coincided with the use of the 3-5-2. He's much better in a back four and I believe that his form will improve if we do return to a back four.Chiellini at his best (2008-11) was miles better than them.
yes let's start using the same excuse used by gio and marchisio fanboys...the formation is to blame! that's an insult to chiello

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
yes let's start using the same excuse used by gio and marchisio fanboys...the formation is to blame! that's an insult to chiello
Well one of the main Chiellini criticisms is when he has the ball at his feet. That goes away when you get rid of the 3-5-2. You also don't ask him to man mark a striker all the way out of the back line and into wide space.

Chiellini and Barzagli in a compact back line is a top pairing in the world for me. Their ability inside their own box (instincts, aggression, fearlessness) is still top notch.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Well one of the main Chiellini criticisms is when he has the ball at his feet. That goes away when you get rid of the 3-5-2. You also don't ask him to man mark a striker all the way out of the back line and into wide space.

Chiellini and Barzagli in a compact back line is a top pairing in the world for me. Their ability inside their own box (instincts, aggression, fearlessness) is still top notch.
On the condition you don't play with a high line.

And Chiellini isn't that bad with the ball if you look beyond the aesthical aspect. He looks clumsy as hell, but extremely rarely misplaces a pass or loses the ball.

Agree on the other parts though.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
On the condition you don't play with a high line.

And Chiellini isn't that bad with the ball if you look beyond the aesthical aspect. He looks clumsy as hell, but extremely rarely misplaces a pass or loses the ball.

Agree on the other parts though.
I agree he's not that bad with the ball when he's in possession around his own area or near midfield which is a normal spot for a CB. He's shit when he has to take his space and advance into the final 3rd like most CBs would be. That's where this forum criticizes him but they have to understand it's an unusual ask for a CB to do that and it's because of the 3-5-2.

Goodfella

Nov 11, 2012
Like MikeM says, Chiellini's drop in form as coincided with the use of the 3-5-2. He's much better in a back four and I believe that his form will improve if we do return to a back four.

Chiellini at his best (2008-11) was miles better than them.
Formation has nothing to do with bad decisions, bad marking, lapses of concentration and so on.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
I don't think that, the overall few times Chiello does ever make a big mistake in defense, it's fault of the 3-men backline. At all. I think that the 3-men defence actually suits him really well for the standards of a defender, even in the runs forward, he has a good timing and can understand when to track back, and is quite fast to do it (infact he borns as LB and he's played in that position until he was like 23).

Let's not also forget that in the first year with Conte, Chiellini started horribly with the 4-man backline, fucking up in many matches (Bologna, Catania, Genoa, just the first ones that come to my mind, in the first part of the season), and was highly criticized (I remember people talking about a Barzagli-Bonucci partnership, and Leo was criticized too, so...), but in the 3-men backline his performances improved. He has had some fucks-up in the last season though, especially in the NT (where Prandelli used the 4 man defence, lol), but he had still overall a fantastic season and he's still one of the best in the world, no doubts about it. If we've had the best defence three years in a row it's not just due to (the great) Barzagli. He's a bit over-criticized for his clumsy style, but if Chiello wouldn't be here, even with some over-hyped young defender, we would feel the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)