Marotta cleared to join Juve (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Aside it being from my personal opinion, I think with strong finances and a solid board behind him he can do well here. He's currently joint top in the Russian league with Zenit and from the odd game I've seen of them, they do play some fantastic stuff. Everybody mentions the 7-1 humiliation by Manchester United but nobody mentions his victories over Real Madrid and Chelsea also his near victory against Arsenal).

If he can sort a teams defence out, then he plays the kind of football that will bring you sucess in the modern game. Fast counter attacking play, ball to feet. Something Juventus aren't acustom to have done with years gone by.

If were going to be going on a revolution as the press are saying then with the right players Spalletti will do a fine job here.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I think we should go for Steve Mclaren. Such a quality coach; he just won the Eredivisie with Twente for the first time in their history. That is a marvellous achievement given how competitive the Dutch league is :shifty: :rolleyes:

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
because he looks like an evil genius from an 80s Bond film?
He'd need to have a small kitten sitting on his lap in the dug out though.

Aside it being from my personal opinion, I think with strong finances and a solid board behind him he can do well here. He's currently joint top in the Russian league with Zenit and from the odd game I've seen of them, they do play some fantastic stuff. Everybody mentions the 7-1 humiliation by Manchester United but nobody mentions his victories over Real Madrid and Chelsea also his near victory against Arsenal).

If he can sort a teams defence out, then he plays the kind of football that will bring you sucess in the modern game. Fast counter attacking play, ball to feet. Something Juventus aren't acustom to have done with years gone by.

If were going to be going on a revolution as the press are saying then with the right players Spalletti will do a fine job here.
Fair points. But it has always bothered me how he seems completely clueless from a defensive point of view. So, for me, he's not a good option.

Just look at his past seasons with Roma. They never really challenged for a title, mostly due to their mediocre defensive unit & tactics. All of a sudden a competent tactician comes in & they're fighting till the complete end.
I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into that & it could even be a coincidence for all I know. But I can't rid myself of the feeling that the current Roma team is a lot better than the one we saw in the previous seasons, while still (mostly) consisting of the same players.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
Thats the only stumbling block for me Buck, his defence setup. I have to say Roma games in the past were more enjoyable from a neutrals point of view than they are now. Suppose thats not the best thing though is it :p

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Thats the only stumbling block for me Buck, his defence setup. I have to say Roma games in the past were more enjoyable from a neutrals point of view than they are now. Suppose thats not the best thing though is it :p
They were especially more enjoyable from the oppositions point of view :D

Personally, I couldn't care less about playing football that the general public perceives as beautiful or enjoyable. I am much more a fan of well organized teams (like the Italian(s) teams were known for, for many years), than I am of free flowing attacking football. But I do realise that's not what most people appreciate.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
They were especially more enjoyable from the oppositions point of view :D

Personally, I couldn't care less about playing football that the general public perceives as beautiful or enjoyable. I am much more a fan of well organized teams (like the Italian(s) teams were known for, for many years), than I am of free flowing attacking football. But I do realise that's not what most people appreciate.
I think deep down everybody was drawn to the Italian aspect of the game for this, if we were not then we would be all watching and supporting Spanish teams. The problem with the Italians now is if your wanting to play a defensive counter game then you need to be very quick when the opposition loses possession. Thats the main problem in the past 2-3 passes and the Italians were into the opponents half storming forward yet maintaning a fantastic shape at the back. Inter Milan adopt that tactic so well because they have a coach who is a master at it and the players you need to execute it. I think in the modern game few teams can play such a tactic because not everybody has the players. If Spalletti comes he should concentrate on his free flow attacking football but ordering the players to press high up the pitch so it relieves some pressure from the defence.

Villareal adopt such a tactic and they do fantasticly well against the big teams in Spain for doing that. That was not a team that was built with Millions either.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I think deep down everybody was drawn to the Italian aspect of the game for this, if we were not then we would be all watching and supporting Spanish teams. The problem with the Italians now is if your wanting to play a defensive counter game then you need to be very quick when the opposition loses possession. Thats the main problem in the past 2-3 passes and the Italians were into the opponents half storming forward yet maintaning a fantastic shape at the back. Inter Milan adopt that tactic so well because they have a coach who is a master at it and the players you need to execute it. I think in the modern game few teams can play such a tactic because not everybody has the players. If Spalletti comes he should concentrate on his free flow attacking football but ordering the players to press high up the pitch so it relieves some pressure from the defence.

Villareal adopt such a tactic and they do fantasticly well against the big teams in Spain for doing that. That was not a team that was built with Millions either.
That is most certainly true.

Inter is probably the best example out there right now (at least in the big games). Even though they play a fairly attacking formation, their (defensive) organisation always comes first. Something I admire a lot. I think I even posted it before: It hurts me to admit it, but they play the exact kind of football I adore. In a way very similar (not necessarily in terms of formation, but rather in approach) to the way we played under Lippi.

Now the question is: do we have the players to do that? Honestly, I don't know. But I'd like to think that we do, based on what I saw the previous season or 2.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
That is most certainly true.

Inter is probably the best example out there right now (at least in the big games). Even though they play a fairly attacking formation, their (defensive) organisation always comes first. Something I admire a lot. I think I even posted it before: It hurts me to admit it, but they play the exact kind of football I adore. In a way very similar (not necessarily in terms of formation, but rather in approach) to the way we played under Lippi.

Now the question is: do we have the players to do that? Honestly, I don't know. But I'd like to think that we do, based on what I saw the last season or 2.
I'm busy at the moment mate, but I shall reply to this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)