Marketing & Commerce (7 Viewers)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
This is part of why we afford Ronaldo now. If you're still living in the past, then accept the Borriellos and Bendtners.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Football clubs are all about brands now

This is just an extension of where :jj: as a brand is headed in the future

Just business
This is a question of good and bad business, not "just business".

And you are wrong that football clubs nowadays is all about brands, and even if the clubs are headed in that direction one is allowed to disagree with this blind idea of capitalism->consumerism.

But fans are still the major customer, not average teenage girls thinking a shirt looks sexy. So if you want to sell shirts and merchandise you'll need to build a fanbase, anyone thinking ZAYN and :jj: will do that is most liekly a naive layman.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
This is a question of good and bad business, not "just business".
I want to know what makes you think this is bad business

I don't think they're here to compete with Adidas and such. Heck, the project is still in its infancy.

If you take CR7 himself, whats stopped him from having his own underwear brand for example ?

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Who is :jj: then suppose to compete with?
There are several clothing brands in the world

How can you expect a clothing brand that has admittedly just entered into the market to compete with Adidas?

It's an experiment. We're just going by the assumption that :jj: would be largely restricted to a limited market of that average football fan. It takes years of groundwork and marketing to even get to a desired level.

Again, what has stopped CR7 from selling underwears ?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I know for sure that "Ювентус" one in Cyrillic will sell well in the post USSR countries.

whyairless

Jun 5, 2014
I know for sure that "Ювентус" one in Cyrillic will sell well in the post USSR countries.
I wouldn't be so sure to be honest. I think right now it's rather pricey for the post USSR countries (well, not all, but let's say Russia). Especially including the delivery price. So, imo, for example an average Russian person would rather buy a non original tshirt, which says Ювентус in cyrillic, but costs three times less.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I wouldn't be so sure to be honest. I think right now it's rather pricey for the post USSR countries (well, not all, but let's say Russia). Especially including the delivery price. So, imo, for example an average Russian person would rather buy a non original tshirt, which says Ювентус in cyrillic, but costs three times less.
in Azerbaijan for example the first thing people ask is "is it original?".

whyairless

Jun 5, 2014
in Azerbaijan for example the first thing people ask is "is it original?".
It's a bit different in terms of approach to such things in there, I guess. Mentality is different.

You may be right, there will still be people, who will buy these shirts. I'm just saying you need to consider the very unfavorable exchange rate lately. Azerbaijan manat has also been hit by that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)