Mario Mandžukić (28 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
He would have had 28m regardless. And he made the money choice back in 2012 already. If you can't live like a king on 28 fucking million, you sure as fuck won't be able to live like a king on 60, because apparently you're a very dumb motherfucker.
I can't get @PedroFlu point either. Witsel already made tons of money as he was one of the highest earners in Russian football, that is why he went to that country after all. In 5 seasons he earned money for the next 3 or hell knows how many generations of his family. Obviously this is none of our business but as football fans we have a right to be angry cause of things that's going on and make football more and more plastic. At the end of the day WE are football. I've got a feeling he felt he couldn't settle at a top club and then his value would go down, so let's get somebody who's worth of wearing our colours.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah, normally I understand players choosing the money, but Witsel already did that once. Now he's got a golden opportunity to have a great career at 28, while he is already loaded with money, and he chooses to go to China instead of Juventus.. It's fucking Juventus. I could understand turning down Everton and making big money in China, but it's Juventus that wants you. And it's not like Juventus aren't going to pay him well. He'd earn around 4m here.

And even after all of that it's quite possible that they'd pay him even more in three or four years time if he established himself as a former Juventus player.
I do understand his choice. It means more money and less pressure/stress to perform at the highest level.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
I can't get @PedroFlu point either. Witsel already made tons of money as he was one of the highest earners in Russian football, that is why he went to that country after all. In 5 seasons he earned money for the next 3 or hell knows how many generations of his family. Obviously this is none of our business but as football fans we have a right to be angry cause of things that's going on and make football more and more plastic. At the end of the day WE are football. I've got a feeling he felt he couldn't settle at a top club and then his value would go down, so let's get somebody who's worth of wearing our colours.

I've read he's making 50M net in 4 years in China. 50M! Leaving 34M on the table for 4 years of work is easier said than done. Far and away from a bad or idiotic decision.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I do understand his choice. It means more money and less pressure/stress to perform at the highest level.
I've read he's making 50M net in 4 years in China. 50M! Leaving 34M on the table for 4 years of work is easier said than done. Far and away from a bad or idiotic decision.
You guys live very onedimensional lives.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I think fans have the wrong idea about athletes in general. They think 100% of the profession actually truly loves what they do. It's the same as any other profession. Obviously Mandzukic is a bad example for this line of thinking but it's a certainty that there are footballers out there who just perform the job because it is literally all they can do in life (moved away from home at young age, poor schooling, no job experience, etc). Might as well collect a paycheck.

For many athletes, sport is just a way of getting out of where you came from. It's not even necessarily a passion but just a means of survival.

And now you have China offering absolutely mind shattering wages in an environment with no pressure at all. You don't have to even train that hard week to week because your opposition is significantly weaker, and you can do whatever you want on the pitch because your coach would never bench you. I mean, depending on the situation, playing football in China can actually be more fun than in any other scenario. You just turn up and play like when you were a kid.

And I'm sure these guys are not living in the parts where you need oxygen masks either. Probably the only time they'll hear Mandarin or Cantonese is when they see fans.

I can see how it is a bit strange for young, promising players to go over there because they've yet to really do the job for some time but any older player, even someone around Mandzukic's age might just be tired of the grind that is European big team football and could easily be persuaded to move.

To be honest, if Hernanes rejected China, I have to give him some respect because I probably would not have done the same. And of course, if Mandzukic is rejecting those wages, he's a hero.

Jun 6, 2015
I think fans have the wrong idea about athletes in general. They think 100% of the profession actually truly loves what they do. It's the same as any other profession. Obviously Mandzukic is a bad example for this line of thinking but it's a certainty that there are footballers out there who just perform the job because it is literally all they can do in life (moved away from home at young age, poor schooling, no job experience, etc). Might as well collect a paycheck.

For many athletes, sport is just a way of getting out of where you came from. It's not even necessarily a passion but just a means of survival.

And now you have China offering absolutely mind shattering wages in an environment with no pressure at all. You don't have to even train that hard week to week because your opposition is significantly weaker, and you can do whatever you want on the pitch because your coach would never bench you. I mean, depending on the situation, playing football in China can actually be more fun than in any other scenario. You just turn up and play like when you were a kid.

And I'm sure these guys are not living in the parts where you need oxygen masks either. Probably the only time they'll hear Mandarin or Cantonese is when they see fans.

I can see how it is a bit strange for young, promising players to go over there because they've yet to really do the job for some time but any older player, even someone around Mandzukic's age might just be tired of the grind that is European big team football and could easily be persuaded to move.

To be honest, if Hernanes rejected China, I have to give him some respect because I probably would not have done the same. And of course, if Mandzukic is rejecting those wages, he's a hero.
That's a big load of bs. Most professional athletes have great passion for their sport. Of course there might be some that value money over success but that doesn't mean they don't like what they do. In general you don't get great at something without passion and motivation for it.

The narrative that we the fans somehow truly love football more than the actual players is ridiculous too. You think the players we've have had over the years didn't love what they did for living. Don't you see the passion our highest paid player shows each and every time we play (especially when he scores) even though he has only been here for a while?

Most players are not Witsel's (I'm sure he loves playing football too, just loves money as well).

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Guys you speak as if he wasn't already well off. yeah sure if it was you or me with ordinary jobs that's different, it's not like zenit didn't pay him well enough, but like I said im glad we didn't get him any ways and the chinese were retarded to pay that sort of money both in wages and transfer fee for such an ordinary player

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Whores everywhere.

@those who "understand Witsel" or think it's a "no-brainer", How much for one night? what is your ass worth?

You seem to have no problem with selling yourself.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
If football fans are football then football is very Asian, there are probably more Arsenal fans in Asia than there are inhabitants in Lithuania.

- - - Updated - - -

even if you already make €4m a year??? :lol:
why are you comparing playing in China to prostitution? if anything, Juve training sessions are probably way more similar to forced anal when compared to China

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)