Marcelo Salas Should Retire (1 Viewer)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

I don't know what a menisco is, but I do think that Salas has had another ligament injury, but maybe you are right. Either way Salas has enough money to retire in comfort, he should not play anymore, too risky.
Yeah. I think it would be a good time for him now to retire. But I find it a terrible shame for a player of such skill to end his career on such a low note....its sad really, whether he has the money or not.

At the same time, though, it really depends on the extent and severity of his injury.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by lacrease ] ++
Yeah. I think it would be a good time for him now to retire. But I find it a terrible shame for a player of such skill to end his career on such a low note....its sad really, whether he has the money or not.

At the same time, though, it really depends on the extent and severity of his injury.
The injury is not regarding the ligament.
How old is Salsas? 28 right? I think that a "menisco"injury is not such a big thing 4 retiring...
Than of course it will all depend on if he still like playing soccer... if he is really sick of it, of course is better to retire, he don't need more money 4 have a nice life, but if he still have the "passion" he can go on in a smaller team.

In this case Baggio example is the best: last year he was 35, he injured his ligament twice, the second time just 1 match after recovering from the first... but he decide to reconstruct it, afforting his 4° knee surgerys and to go on with soccer cause as he said "Is my passion, I have so mutch fun playing".

---

Salas decided to recover from the injury in his homeland Chile.

From http://www.soccerage.com/it/13/l7720.html

In this period probably his future will be decided. Juve probably can not make money with him anymore, so I just hope that they will give him without wanting too mutch if he will find a club in wich he wuold like to play.

Sep 28, 2002
no, he shouldn't retire. if his injury is not of that kind that would force him to retire, as happened to lithuanian basketball player sarunas marciulionis (maybe someone knows him). yes his last two seasons were poor, very poor. but that doesn't mean anything. henry then shouldve retired after his spell with juve. which he didn't. and he's one of the best now. so if salas still can recover and play, he must play!!!! forza marcelo, get well soon.

i talk shyte...

OP
Ian
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #24
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    no, he shouldn't retire. if his injury is not of that kind that would force him to retire, as happened to lithuanian basketball player sarunas marciulionis (maybe someone knows him). yes his last two seasons were poor, very poor. but that doesn't mean anything. henry then shouldve retired after his spell with juve. which he didn't. and he's one of the best now. so if salas still can recover and play, he must play!!!! forza marcelo, get well soon.

i talk shyte...
    No, I just mean that he should reitre so that he doesn't hurt himself again.

Sep 28, 2002

No, I just mean that he should reitre so that he doesn't hurt himself again.
    oh, then it's a different story. that is exactly what happened to marciulionis. one more injury and would've had to ride with wheel chair.

sad...

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #26
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    oh, then it's a different story. that is exactly what happened to marciulionis. one more injury and would've had to ride with wheel chair.

sad...
    yeah, I know from personal experience. If Salas can come back from this injury he probably shouldn't. The more you injure this type of thing, the easier it is to injure it again and the worse it is everytime.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    yeah, I know from personal experience. If Salas can come back from this injury he probably shouldn't. The more you injure this type of thing, the easier it is to injure it again and the worse it is everytime.
    On this you are right... but it's all depend on how mutch he love soccer.
    He has to quit just if his soffering is bigger than his "enjoying".

Baggio last year after the first injury said "I'm not going to affort an other surgery if I will recover without fine, if not I'll quit". After 3 months looked like he made it, but just one match and his ligament was broken again... We were all sure that it was the end, than he changed his mind and he decide to affort the surgery and now he is back. And he was 6 years older than Salas, and it was his 4° knee surgery. And ther's many other examples of sportsman who had biggest problems than Salas but got over it.

I remind the titles of the newspapers that day when Baggio injured 4 the last time... they were all this stile "Roby, do not let your knees take decisions instead of your heart".
    I guess this is the point, If Salas still love his job, he has to fight 4 it, he do not have to give up 4 an injury.
    If he "had enought" and he is not having fun anymore, yes... he's better to retire. But just in this case, if he is still in love with soccer and he retire he will regret it 4 sure, becouse he is not old enought to retire!

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
    Dec 23, 2002
    If we love salas we must hope that he moves another club ... he should start again ... he should go to a club where he will be a first choice ... he must find himself again ... he must find the true salas ... he can find himsel here where the likes of DP and Trez.

He should feel the responsibilty to give what he has.......

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++

On this you are right... but it's all depend on how mutch he love soccer.
    He has to quit just if his soffering is bigger than his "enjoying".

Baggio last year after the first injury said "I'm not going to affort an other surgery if I will recover without fine, if not I'll quit". After 3 months looked like he made it, but just one match and his ligament was broken again... We were all sure that it was the end, than he changed his mind and he decide to affort the surgery and now he is back. And he was 6 years older than Salas, and it was his 4° knee surgery. And ther's many other examples of sportsman who had biggest problems than Salas but got over it.

I remind the titles of the newspapers that day when Baggio injured 4 the last time... they were all this stile "Roby, do not let your knees take decisions instead of your heart".
    I guess this is the point, If Salas still love his job, he has to fight 4 it, he do not have to give up 4 an injury.
    If he "had enought" and he is not having fun anymore, yes... he's better to retire. But just in this case, if he is still in love with soccer and he retire he will regret it 4 sure, becouse he is not old enought to retire!
    this is not only about the passion and desire to play. this is a matter of health. is after another injury salas would have to ride in a wheel chair then maybe it's time for him to hand his boots. footballers are not like boxers who fight for money and respect (i guess they dont fight because of passion or fun), but in the end they look like muhammed ali, with head and hends shaking. you cant risk your health only because of a passion

olekent

Jul 17, 2002
    A meniscus injury ain't that serious. The surgery is rather small, and you can start rahabilitating soon after. They simply pin the damaged meniscus together. If he's lucky he can be back in a month. In the old days they just removed them, cause you can easily play without them. But when they got old, thay got arthrotis in the knees.
    But now a days it's a minor injury. Could have way more serious.

To call it a day beacuse of this would be foolish. Unless you are a wimp:totti:, or simply doesn't enjoy playing anymore.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    olekent,i'm pretty sure nobody here is advising him to retire purely because of the injury.he is old,has been playing some sloppy football and shouldn't continue adding to his misery by playing somewhere else and getting further pushed down the ranks.

the injury merely adds to it all,since he's having an op that's take three months for him to recuperate from he might as well hang up his boots already.since it is his last season with juve it is also surely his last real shot at something significant to add to his medal cupboard.

after this he should just return to chile and look for something else to do instead of wasting his life away sitting on benches watching football when he can get a better view on the telly from home on a nice rocking chair.:)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Poor guy, all of my sympathy and condolences are with him( :down: ), but fortunately for us he wasn't going to see much play in the remainder of the season anyways.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    well i dont like how he plays, but he is part of the juve family, and is a human after all. He must be in ral pain right now, and i think he needs alot of support.
    =(

Maybe retire could be the best for him,, leaving the soccer topic apart, for his own health.

Jul 28, 2002
    he doesnt have to retire yet.

Baggio didnt.

He just has to get a nu start...he has been unlucky at juve, id love the old salas, but sumtime, things jus have to change so he must , for his sake find a nu club, n a nu start...n maybe find sum gud luck agen :D

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    olekent,i'm pretty sure nobody here is advising him to retire purely because of the injury.he is old,has been playing some sloppy football and shouldn't continue adding to his misery by playing somewhere else and getting further pushed down the ranks.

the injury merely adds to it all,since he's having an op that's take three months for him to recuperate from he might as well hang up his boots already.since it is his last season with juve it is also surely his last real shot at something significant to add to his medal cupboard.

after this he should just return to chile and look for something else to do instead of wasting his life away sitting on benches watching football when he can get a better view on the telly from home on a nice rocking chair.:)
    That's a very "nasty" post... but I guess is more or less what we all think, a menisco injury itself isn't that bad and 28 years isn't that old, is all togeder that Salas situation looks sad and with no end.
    That's why I say that it's all about if he still enjoy soccer or if he just can't hold it anymore.
    If he still like playing I'm sure he will find himself in an other team, or at list I hope so...

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #38
    Well, I started the thread not because I thought that Salas should spare us all the agony of watching him try to play good football again, or not play, but that he should retire because he will regret not doing so if he re-injures himself again.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    It may be but he may regret also retiring if he do it now and 4 a not-tremendus injury... he's just 28...

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    even if he weren't injured he should probably still retire unless he's willing to sit on the bench at barca or play at some lower division club:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)