Maldini reveals quit plans (2 Viewers)

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
swag said:
I saw those big Maldini fashion window displays at the H&M in Lisbon last month...
About a month ago, I walked into H&M in Bremen and was surprised because there was Maldini hanging all around. Many people who go there don't know who he is and the others, like me, don't except such a Maldini-invasion. Maybe in Italy, but not here in Germany. But I found it quite amusing.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Geof

May 14, 2004
Yeah I saw these H&M commercials with Maldini on it. It was classy...

Anyway, I have nothing but respect for Paolo! An immense player!

AzzurriGirl

Jul 23, 2006
Andy said:
One of the most classy players to ever take the field in football. Whenever Paolo decides to retire, in form or terribly out of form, he will be missed. Maldini is one of the few players to transform defending into something classified as an art.
:tup:

Perfectly said Andy and I totally agreee. I loved watching Maldini playing with the Azzurri. He is the one who made me sit up and pay attention to defensive players. He was a great Captain for the NT and I was sorry to see him leave the Azzurri when he did. Sad that he never lifted the WC. They really should have won in 94 :cry:

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Nihilista! said:
I remember when I saw a video when Baresi-Maldini played together. That was a fucking good defense.
A good player, sadly, milanista
:agree: Milan had a good defence then. I remember "General Franco" Baresi played until he was 40, if I remember correctly a commentator said of Franco, that his ability to read the game was soooo good that it made up for the lack of speed due to his age.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
i think maybe age is catching up with paolo and its time to call it a day, he was probably the best defender i ever saw and a great player both on and off the pitch

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
AngelaL said:
:agree: Milan had a good defence then. I remember "General Franco" Baresi played until he was 40, if I remember correctly a commentator said of Franco, that his ability to read the game was soooo good that it made up for the lack of speed due to his age.
So true. If there was any demonstrated needed that defending is all about postioning not muscling opponents out then I will gladly rewind the tape of 94WC final to Rio Ferdinand over and over again.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
AngelaL said:
So true. If there was any demonstrated needed that defending is all about postioning not muscling opponents out then I will gladly rewind the tape of 94WC final to Rio Ferdinand over and over again.

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
Sep 12, 2006
Paolo Maldini is one of the greatest sportsmen of his generation. Rare in todays game in that he played his entire career for one club. He is a true Milanista, who followed his dreams (& his fathers footsteps) to lift trophy after trophy for the club he loved all his life. It will be sad to see his retirement from the game, tainted by his premature international retirement. I will remember him as Italy's most capped player & a true gentleman on the pitch. He wore his colours with a passion & his captains armband with real pride.

On another, related topic. The retiring of shirt numbers is a ridiculous notion in the game of football. To deny future generations the oppourtunity to wear the shirt numbers of legends, & to add their own chapter to its glory is so so wrong. Napoli retired "Maradona's" number 10, does that ignore the achievements of Zola? If we had retired our number 10 for Boniperti or Sivori, what does that say of the skills & contributions of Platini, Laudrup, Baggio & Ale? Future number 10's (or 3's or 6's) may surpass the deeds of their esteemed predessors. This should be stopped before it gets silly.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
JuveAdam said:
Paolo Maldini is one of the greatest sportsmen of his generation. Rare in todays game in that he played his entire career for one club. He is a true Milanista, who followed his dreams (& his fathers footsteps) to lift trophy after trophy for the club he loved all his life. It will be sad to see his retirement from the game, tainted by his premature international retirement. I will remember him as Italy's most capped player & a true gentleman on the pitch. He wore his colours with a passion & his captains armband with real pride.

On another, related topic. The retiring of shirt numbers is a ridiculous notion in the game of football. To deny future generations the oppourtunity to wear the shirt numbers of legends, & to add their own chapter to its glory is so so wrong. Napoli retired "Maradona's" number 10, does that ignore the achievements of Zola? If we had retired our number 10 for Boniperti or Sivori, what does that say of the skills & contributions of Platini, Laudrup, Baggio & Ale? Future number 10's (or 3's or 6's) may surpass the deeds of their esteemed predessors. This should be stopped before it gets silly.
I agree. I mean after a couple of decades or so you might have half of the first 11number being retired. That would be plain dumb. Why not stop with Maldini and give similar recognition of achievement to Van Basten, Tassotti, Costacourta, Albertini, George Weah et al. They were just as instrumental to that famous Milan team in late 80s to mid 90s. Good mention on Maradona - Zola as well. I also think Daniele Foncesca wore No.10 for Napoli as well and lets not forget with them he was one of the most feared striker in the world.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
JuveAdam said:
Well retiring jersey numbers happens very rare actually.

I know just 4:

Napoli's 10 (Maradona), Milan's 6 (Baresi) & 3 (Maldini), Cagliari's 11 (Riva), oh and Inter's 3 (Facchetti)

That's it. No need to worry :D

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Il Re said:
i think maybe age is catching up with paolo and its time to call it a day, he was probably the best defender i ever saw and a great player both on and off the pitch
Well said.

He's simply on top when you want to mention best defenders ever. Like someone said he's a symbol to many defenders. Paolo is just class, off and on the pitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)