Major & Career Choice (1 Viewer)

Jul 19, 2003
A combination of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, dealing with electromechanical machines.

I'm kinda studying that at the moment. I'm in my last year of Mechanical Engineering and I'm also in a program in which I started my Master's last summer, so that it'll take me one year after I graduate with my BsC to get my Master's. The thesis project involves a micro electromagnetic relay.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++
By the way ... Is anyone here studying Mechatronics??

I studied Electrical engineering and mainly my courses were Electronics, then I worked for a year with Mechatronics, very interesting :)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
I actually still don't have any real clue what i want to do with my life, other than run my own company as a final goal. I'm getting an accountancy qualification as it gives me something to fall back on basically should my ventures fail, I could then just walk into a job somewhere else. Piece of cake :D
Get into Investment Banking, man. That's where the money is. But hard work too- 80 - 100 hours per week.

K10

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++

Get into Investment Banking, man. That's where the money is. But hard work too- 80 - 100 hours per week.
100 hrs? According to my calculation, if you work monday-friday you will have 20 hours per day.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++

100 hrs? According to my calculation, if you work monday-friday you will have 20 hours per day.
Welcome to the real world.

In Investment Banking both Analysts and Associates work 12- 14 hours a day and practically have no days off. Many just sleep in offices. Two of my friends are in IB and they have no life. And this is truely NO LIFE.

Your hard work pays off though- as an Associate you start with $120 + on average some $30- $50k in bonuses a year. Three to five years down the road your salary doubles and triples, if you're still alive.

In ten years you will have several million saved so you can start your own business, or you can go further within Investment Banks, with close to a $1 million packages.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I don't :)

Of course I admire their ability to work so many hours, but I'd hate to live like that

:yuck:

€lke

Dec 22, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
I don't :)

Of course I admire their ability to work so many hours, but I'd hate to live like that

:yuck:
yeah what about your private and your social life then???:confused:
I could never do something like that...my poor bf :(

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
IBankers' argument is that they work their butts off for 5- 8 years and save so much money that they never have to work again.

You will be surprised to see how competative this industry is. It is probably THE most competative field to get into. To get an IB job you have to go a top 20 business school, and admission rates there are between 12% and 18%. If you're lucky enough to be in there is even more tougher competition for jobs- 10%- 20% actually get IB jobs. The rest just go to corporate finance.

So, probability of getting into IB are between 1.2% and 3.6%. So roughly 2 persons out of a 100 will eventually end up at a top IB on Wall Street.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)