Luis Suarez - Forward - Liverpool (53 Viewers)

If possible, would you sign Luis Suárez?

• Yes, he's a great player

• Yes, but only if the price is right

• Begrudgingly, his talent outweighs the negatives

• No, his character doesn't reflect well on Juventus

• No, he is almost subhuman

• Kill it, kill it with fire!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
but let's say instead of handballing, suarex had just taclked strongly from behind. he would have got the same outcome (red card + penalty that ghana missed)

no one would have cared.

it's not cheating. Henry hand goal vs ireland is cheating. Maradona hann of god is cheating. Buffon taking the ball out is cheating. They got away with doing it with no punishment
Tackling is one thing, deciding he's the new goalkeeper for his team is another completely. I can't believe I'm even having to argue this. What he did was so utterly ridiculous and indefensible from a sporting perspective. How people can look at it again and not just think "what the fuck?" is beyond me.

Cheating is willfully breaking the rules to either gain an advantage or hinder your opponent. Simple, no?

---------- Post added 15.04.2012 at 20:15 ----------

If we go from Del Piero to this guy, we have surely lost the stile juve.

please discuss.
He's an Inter signing through and through.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Tackling is one thing, deciding he's the new goalkeeper for his team is another completely. I can't believe I'm even having to argue this. What he did was so utterly ridiculous and indefensible from a sporting perspective. How people can look at it again and not just think "what the fuck?" is beyond me.

Cheating is willfully breaking the rules to either gain an advantage or hinder your opponent. Simple, no?

---------- Post added 15.04.2012 at 20:15 ----------

He's an Inter signing through and through.
Thanks for enlightening us with your meaning of the word cheating. We'll go with that from now on.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

No, it's not. By that argument, every player who has received a yellow card, let alone a red card, is a cheater.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
No, it's not. By that argument, every player who has received a yellow card, let alone a red card, is a cheater.
It's not? Heh. It definitely is defined by "breaking the rules." Pick up a dictionary. When put in the context of football it's necessary, I think, to take intent into account as well. People get handed cards often out of sheer clumsiness; them being penalized doesn't make them cheaters.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not? Heh. It definitely is defined by "breaking the rules." Pick up a dictionary. When put in the context of football it's necessary, I think, to take intent into account as well. People get handed cards often out of sheer clumsiness; them being penalized doesn't make them cheaters.
They are penalized because they broke the rules. Some do so willfully, some accidentally. Sometimes there are smart fouls to give. That would be considered cheating in your definition. When Marchisio brought down Pandev on a break against Napoli a couple weeks ago, earning him a yellow, that defines him as a cheater in your book.

Even a player who tears off his jersey after scoring a goal... it's against the rules, he willingly knows it, and he gets a yellow card. That, by your definition, also makes that player a cheater. Sure he may not play an "advantage" in that situation. But who's to say the goal celebration isn't partly an intimidation factor? Or riling up the fans so that they give the home team more energy?

It's absurd.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
They are penalized because they broke the rules. Some do so willfully, some accidentally. Sometimes there are smart fouls to give. That would be considered cheating in your definition. When Marchisio brought down Pandev on a break against Napoli a couple weeks ago, earning him a yellow, that defines him as a cheater in your book.
Yes.

If you play a game and you break the rules (to hinder/help) you're cheating.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Personally, I see cheating more as breaking the rules for an unfair advantage with the intention of not being caught. That wasn't the case with Suarez's goalkeeping. He clearly knew the consequences and did not protest.

If there's a problem with how the situation is executed, then the problem is the rules that need to be changed. Blame the game, not the playa. :stuckup:

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
He got red carded and missed the semi finals for it. It's not his fault that Asamoah Gyan can't score a penalty to save his life.

I don't like Suarez for several reasons but that handball is not one of it.
Whether he was punished or not has no bearing on whether he cheated or not. He did. There's no way to argue around it.

It's also nowhere in the realm "gamesmanship" as suggested above.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
He got red carded and missed the semi finals for it. It's not his fault that Asamoah Gyan can't score a penalty to save his life.
Absolutely true.

I don't like Suarez for several reasons but that handball is not one of it.
Also true, though I still think the handball was a sleazy thing to do. But if that were Juve, I'd want him to do that.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
If there's a problem with how the situation is executed, then the problem is the rules that need to be changed. Blame the game, not the playa. :stuckup:
I don't understand this part. That outfield players cannot use their hands isn't a rule that needs to be changed, thus I can't blame the game at all. I blame Suarez!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)