Luigi "Vergogna" Delneri (21 Viewers)

Finish the season with or without Del Neri?

• Yes, keep Del Neri till the end of the season and then fire him

• Fire Del Neri now and replace him with someone else till the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
People said we weren't fighting for 4th three games ago, yet we were again before this game started. Now we're not? Maybe after two games we will be again? You see where I'm going.

Assuming a new coach will come in and get results is positive, it can work at least in the short term, but if it doesn't then you have a coach stuck with a squad he didn't assemble. So yes, it can get worse, we can lose more often. You say there is no progress but I see the structure of a team at least. It's lacking quality and a good player in two areas, but last season we had 11 individuals every week.

No matter the coach we seem to have a big problem playing against some of the smaller sides, as you say.
And it's where we disagree. I think it's all up to coach to change that.

Structure of a team? I only see balanced mediocrity throughout the squad. And oh, our defense is horrible while we have better players than before, that too is all up to coach and he can't deal with it. We conceded less goals with Grosso - Chiellini - Legro - Grygera

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It seems clear that the team has lost all sense of where this club belongs in the table, right in line with how we've lost our old stars and replaced them with mediocre players. I think we've all seen it proven that a number of average coaches have not been able to change this mentality. I think we need a big coach to change this. If Capello walked in the door tomorrow he could make them believe.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Del Neri was tasked with 3 things at the start of the season:

Europa League - Respectable performance - latter stages: OBJECTIVE FAILED
Coppa Italia - Win competition: OBJECTIVE FAILED
League - Qualify for the CL: Failing....

People that are saying to give the guy to the end of the season are crazy, he had a job to do - a difficult one - when he came here and he has failed miserably in everything that he has done. He's had since June to sort this team out and in all honesty, nothing has changed since then. I hate the hiring and firing nature we have had over the last few years (this wouldn't have needed to be the case had we appointed the right coaches in the first place..) but the fact of the matter is he has had a chance and he's not taken it.

Unlike with the other managers we've had it does still look like he has the faith of the players but regardless he is clearly not good enough for the job. His substitutions never change games in our favor and he's sooooo tactically limited its scary.

Lecce today came into this match with a gameplan to beat us, they knew our team struggles to deal with balls over the top and runners in behind, and all day that is all they did. It worked perfectly.
Del Neri NEVER addressed this. I could see in the first 5 minutes this was their tactics, yet we still played with a high defensive line and Sorensen constantly pulled into the centre, leaving their left midfielder enough room to build a house in. Had this have been addressed instantly, Buffon wouldnt have needed to get himself sent off and we could have controlled the game.

Knowing Lecce have the worst defense in the league what was Del Neri's game plan today to threaten then? What tactics did he select to nullify their forward line and expose their defense for the sham that it is??? Thats right, NOTHING. Del Neri did not even consider tactics. He played the same predictable way he plays week in week out and he was exposed by the opposition tactician once again.

In the situation we are in we cant afford to keep the faith in him - he's got us into this position and he's not going to be the man to get us out because he isn't capable of it. Part company now, a mutual termination, and get Lippi in on an 18 month contract to fix us up. Then try to lure Deschamps back. In the short term we are not qualifying for the CL this year so let a talented manager get to grips with the team for the next 4 months so he can really identify what needs doing for a push next year. Getting a new manager in the summer will be pointless and they wont have time to get to know the players and their capabilities. Just bring Lippi back......

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
No matter how we get spanked, we won't be firing him, for two reasons:

- Marotta and Agnelli don't know what they're doing either.
- There isn't anyone who is competent who would want to take this job right now. Deschamps and Lippi are the only ones who actually can replace him but I bet none of those would come here. Besides, I won't be asking for Lippi either, the man sucks just as much as Delneri.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Lets get a big coach with some guarantees and a big contract. I'm sick of seeing us pay high wages and transfer sums for numerous players while we're too greedy to upgrade the most important part of the squad.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
It seems clear that the team has lost all sense of where this club belongs in the table, right in line with how we've lost our old stars and replaced them with mediocre players. I think we've all seen it proven that a number of average coaches have not been able to change this mentality. I think we need a big coach to change this. If Capello walked in the door tomorrow he could make them believe.
Mentality problems. Our board targets for CL qualification, and bring in suitable managers for that. This is where we are wrong, if we target for the scudetto, and buy players for that and bring managers for that, that's when we won't have problems in making CL.

It's pathetic how we compete only for CL qualification, like we only promoted from Serie B last season, like we don't have the players for higher targets..

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Too many bad seasons in a row for it to be simply a manager and player problem
But we have changed the top management over past season.

I think that we have just made far too many changes over the past few seasons, made rash purchases and appointments.

Pretty much what Moggi has been saying about us over the last few seasons.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
No matter how we get spanked, we won't be firing him, for two reasons:

- Marotta and Agnelli don't know what they're doing either.
- There isn't anyone who is competent who would want to take this job right now. Deschamps and Lippi are the only ones who actually can replace him but I bet none of those would come here. Besides, I won't be asking for Lippi either, the man sucks just as much as Delneri.
Lippi sucks? Look at his record and tell me he sucks. He didn't do well in South Africa, that doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
And it's where we disagree. I think it's all up to coach to change that.

Structure of a team? I only see balanced mediocrity throughout the squad. And oh, our defense is horrible while we have better players than before, that too is all up to coach and he can't deal with it. We conceded less goals with Grosso - Chiellini - Legro - Grygera
Up to a point. The coach who gets criticised even though he has no choice but to play DC's at fullback is the same coach who gets praise for 'finally seeing' that we should play those players at fullback in the two previous games which we won. It's stupid.

Don't mistake me for a Delneri fan, I'm just trying to be realistic about our situation. One thing that annoys me more than anything is knee jerk and hypocrisy. At least you have been consistent in your criticism of Delneri and want for Spalletti, but I'm not going to surge from one extreme to the other week after week. Final results will dictate the way the season has gone and the club aren't going to change that bar a huge downturn in results. Our current results are too hit and miss, although we have done much better with a more full squad.

I'm hoping this was just one of those games (in a situation where we have a full team to choose from, not the other poor results with no strikers). We suffer too much mentally, too many early red cards and the heads go down, we do ourselves no favours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)