LOTR:The Two Towers (2 Viewers)

violette

Aug 30, 2002
My Rating:
FOTR=== 98/100
TTT=== 90/100

The FOTR is better. Or the best!

TTT is just a Disappointment to me. After such a long wait (One year:stress::sigh:!), and fighting for the premier ticket:fero:, it fell far short of my expectation:broken:; I have to say: "This is PJ's TTT, not Tolkien's TTT.:moan::sob:"

PJ's TTT is too much Hollywood. *Sigh!*
He just messed up this good chance. No one has such a good chance as he. A chance co-worked with Alan Lee & John Howe.

OK... At least PJ's TTT is still better than star wars and harry potters by far. However I'm thinking about a Remake already.:D

But the question is:
"If PJ can't do it, who can? ":down:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
with no reference to the books this is an excellent movie,no?
Yeah... If you haven't read the books, I'd guess the movies are great. But if you like Tolkien and the books... You feel like you have been ripped off. There's so many mistakes in the movies, especially in the The Two Towers. :down:

But the effects, cinematography and music make it great movie for the ones who's not interested in the books.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++

Yeah... If you haven't read the books, I'd guess the movies are great. But if you like Tolkien and the books... You feel like you have been ripped off. There's so many mistakes in the movies, especially in the The Two Towers. :down:
I'm not surprised that these movies are worse than books. Cause they just can't be as good as the books. It's almost impossible to do perfect film version of some books. That's why most of them are only adaptation.

Sometimes people want to do sth like "mission impossible" connected with movies. We have such novel "With the fire and sword" and is is written as 3 thick volumes. Director of this movie made it as 3 hours movie. Can you imagine? :rolleyes:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
but may i suggest you pay a visit to the ladies before the movie....
its 3 hrs long so you wouldn't want to answer nature's call in the middle of the movie would you?
I haven't noticed this advice earlier...
First time in my life I see such advice for people before going to movie and honestly I was really :D:D

But thanks, I will take note :)

slack

Dec 13, 2002
Take Paranoia's advice seriously, heh heh.

I was REALLY holding on, just as they were at Helm's Deep :fero: At the end of it, dozens bolted to the pee-house faster than the Riders of Rohan charging downhill :D

The CGI effects are unbelievable nowadays. Excellent film, albeit slightly off the book.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by vitoria ] ++

I'm not surprised that these movies are worse than books. Cause they just can't be as good as the books. It's almost impossible to do perfect film version of some books. That's why most of them are only adaptation.

Sometimes people want to do sth like "mission impossible" connected with movies. We have such novel "With the fire and sword" and is is written as 3 thick volumes. Director of this movie made it as 3 hours movie. Can you imagine? :rolleyes:
Normally i'd agree with you vit

but in this case it would have been very easy to follow the book.... probably easier than making the changes jackson made.

TTT is a very simple part of lotr.. that could easily have been made very similar to the book.
All the things changed were simple pointless things that ruined the feel and flow of the film....

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Now having had the dubious pleasure of seeing this for a 5th time....

Personally my thoughts havent really changed.

This is very enjoyable film that is one of the shortest 3 hours i have ever had to sit through.
But however much i enjoyed it... i could not as a major tolkien fan leave the cinema anything other than dissapointed and let down... or even as far as ripped off!!

So ithink it comes down to your knowledge of the book as to whether you are satisfied when you leave the cinema.

However ,even as a stand alone film, without knowing the book, this film is far from the perfect film some would tell us of.
It has a scent about it of being very rushed even though so much time had been spent on it.

Pluses::

Casting
Smeagol
Eowyn
Aragorn
Make up
Art Direction
Costumes
Acting - On a whole was very good

Minuses ::

Editing - Frankly awful, amatuerish
Directing - Inconsistent, The scenes that PJ didnt oversee are blindingly obvious.
Cinematography - Again inconsistent
Screen Play - Weak
Effects - Again inconsistent.. we go from the best cgi creation to ever be seen to some very poor and obvious cgi and simple perspective errors.
Score - Again a huge dissapointment.. after the wonderful score for FOTR, this pales in comparison

Though there may seem to be more minuses than plusses.... this still stands up as a really entertaining film...

But for me the major problem is plainly that it is not the two towers that i know so well... and as such can be nothing but a major dissapointment (never the less a dissapointment I enjoyed)

A few things that bugged me in relation to the book ::

Omision of Aragorn addressing uruk-hai

Made up scene wher Aragorn falls over cliff

Made up banishment of Eomer

Eomer not fighting shoulder to shoulder with aragorn at helms deep

Eowyn being at helms deep... she wasnt there

Where were the hournes??

Assasination of faramir and theodens chractors

Made up trip to osgiliath

Made up meeting of Gandalf, pippen, merry and treebeard

Made up ents refusal

Omision of hama and aragorn arguing about anduril

Elves at helms deep.... uhmmm

Lack of information for those that havent seen the extended version of FOTR as to why the rope burnt smeagol

Missing important issues regarding the meeting of aragorn, gimli, legolas and the riders of rohan.

Plus several more minor niggles

It may seem like fanatical moaning ... but most of these things are important as the rest of the story unfolds.
Without these things Return of the king will have many many questions to answer and may well end up having to be overly complicated... or jus simply have no relation to LOTR what so ever!!
THough hopefully as was done with FOTR several of these things will be reinstated when we get the extended DVD

Seperate film - 7 / 10 (FOTR - 9 /10)

Book adaptation - 4/ 10 (FOTR - 8 /10)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Normally i'd agree with you vit

but in this case it would have been very easy to follow the book.... probably easier than making the changes jackson made.

TTT is a very simple part of lotr.. that could easily have been made very similar to the book.
All the things changed were simple pointless things that ruined the feel and flow of the film....
Ok :)
After watching and reading I will tell you my opinion ;)
But I believe yuou :)

About Jackson: :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)