Looking for Examples of Tall Footballers That Did/Do Well as Forwards (1 Viewer)

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Agree about Crouch, Koller, Carew and others tall forwards named before bar Zlatan cuz Ibra is an awesome and unique skill set player

My advice would be to watch Cavani and not for his size, it's way more about 1st touch shooting, the guy is the best in the world on it and as your son is gonna be slow if he learns to finish plays with just one touch it would be the best IMO

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

The man, the myth, the legend.

He could learn aggressive attacking of the penalty area, disguised turn and shot, first time shot, power headers and the Glasgow kiss from Big Dunc.

OP
May 25, 2019
  • Thread Starter #24
    damn, between 1.95-2.07m is really tall for a footballer. from the elite footballers/attackers only a handful have been that tall, Koller was 2.02, Crouch 2.01 and Ibra 1.95. given how one sided both Koller and Crouch were, the best advice I guess would be to give some karate training to the kid :D but seriously talking, for the big forwards I think coordination and physique is key, at that height he'll never be able to constantly run and press opponents like young Tevez or Sanchez, so not sure the weak parts can be eliminated fully. my advice would be don't make him focus solely on footie, there are plenty of sports that are also fun to play and develops your movement like basketball, hockey, fighting arts et
    Thanks, he loves football above all else. I tried to get him into basketball when he was younger but he was lukewarm about it, football is by far his favorite. He will undoubtedly have coaches and players trying to recruit him for American Football as he is a tank.

I think that you are correct in that assessment, those will likely never be his strong points.

The man, the myth, the legend.

He could learn aggressive attacking of the penalty area, disguised turn and shot, first time shot, power headers and the Glasgow kiss from Big Dunc.
    Excellent example! Thank you and everyone else that has replied to this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree about Crouch, Koller, Carew and others tall forwards named before bar Zlatan cuz Ibra is an awesome and unique skill set player

My advice would be to watch Cavani and not for his size, it's way more about 1st touch shooting, the guy is the best in the world on it and as your son is gonna be slow if he learns to finish plays with just one touch it would be the best IMO
    Excellent advice, this is something that I've started working with him some time ago. Allow the quicker players to create the plays and have him finish them by getting open for passes and shooting on the pass or a 2nd touch if need be.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
    Thanks, he loves football above all else. I tried to get him into basketball when he was younger but he was lukewarm about it, football is by far his favorite. He will undoubtedly have coaches and players trying to recruit him for American Football as he is a tank.

I think that you are correct in that assessment, those will likely never be his strong points.
    I meant get him to pick up a useful sport as a side hobby, not to abandon footie :D In my experience guys who play basketball at a good level are very plastic and coordinated, hockey guys go haaard and Ibra obviously benefited from all the karate stuff, there's a lot you can learn in other sports thats useful in football.

Funny story, once played footy against a guy who was serious about kickboxing, at the time had won a silver medal in a European junior competition, I attempted a simpler version of the Bergkamp spin around him and in the middle of it the guy kneed me in the stomach as a pure reflex move lol

OP
    May 25, 2019
  • Thread Starter #29
    I meant get him to pick up a useful sport as a side hobby, not to abandon footie :D In my experience guys who play basketball at a good level are very plastic and coordinated, hockey guys go haaard and Ibra obviously benefited from all the karate stuff, there's a lot you can learn in other sports thats useful in football.

Funny story, once played footy against a guy who was serious about kickboxing, at the time had won a silver medal in a European junior competition, I attempted a simpler version of the Bergkamp spin around him and in the middle of it the guy kneed me in the stomach as a pure reflex move lol
    For sure, he's already in football for 3-4 days a week in season and sometimes 5-7 days a week if there is a tournament so there's only so much time to go around with school, everyday life stuff, etc.

Basketball would be a possibility here as would volleyball if he takes an interest in it (both sports could help his jumping ability which would be great for heading in the future). Hockey is very limited here to say the least but as you say would be good in the sense of having to really work hard every shift.

Red card! LOL!

Jun 6, 2015
    Changing position to a CB or a goalie is the best advice I can give. Those are positions where size can be an advantage. If he really wants to be a striker he needs to learn the traits of a target man. Playing with your back to goal and linking up play.

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
    Dec 23, 2012
    Wout Weghorst
    Also, tall cb's and GK's are dime a dozen, usually moved there because of their height, If the kid learns technique, gets the ball to stick to him, he can become the focal point in a team, the height can help him stand out. If he is tall when he is young alot of coaches will put him at the back, but when others grow he will just be another player.
    Crouch was very underrated technically, he just looked fucking stupid when he was doing anything because of his gangly frame.
    Memes aside Bendtner is about 6'4, he is pretty good technically, if he wasnt braindead he could easily have been a mid table epl player,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)