Lockerbie bomber released (5 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Wasn't the Lybian dude supposed to be dead by now?
He was supposed to be dead. He isn't, thats why the whole thing has blown up again.

The guy lives is from the same city i'm from, he literally lives only 5km away from my hometown.

What? Regulation is the only solution, but you can't force companies to behave ethically?

Those are conflicting statements. :D

I don't consider compliance with the law "ethical behaviour". You're forced to comply with the law.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
He was released almost a year ago on the basis of a diagnosis that gave him around three months to live.
I know, that's why I asked.

But now I read that the doc who gave the initial 3 months diagnosis says how he could live up to 20 more years :howler:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I know, that's why I asked.

But now I read that the doc who gave the initial 3 months diagnosis says how he could live up to 20 more years :howler:
Yeah, it was all bullshit. Quite clear what went on here.

But this is the coolest thing about BP right here. What a great short.

And they aren't out of the woods yet. I hope they go to zero.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Probably the only realistic solution. You can't force companies to behave ethically.
It isn't all about regulation. Sufficient competition is also important.

The damage done to BP from this well blowout is enough to wreck the company, as it probably should. Lawsuits, speculators shorting the stock into oblivion, and angry consumers boycotting BP will give them what they deserve. Good free market activities.

The only problem is that in today's age, the governments and corporations are in bed with each other, and having threesomes with financial terrorists like Goldman Sachs. So what we have is basically corporations regulating themselves as all the execs obtain jobs in government.

So in fact, more regulation isn't necessarily a good thing. As in the case with the bank bailout, Goldman Sachs received taxpayer money to replace the capital of bad bets, all the while putting its competitors out of the business. The only reason it happened is because former Goldman execs had positions in the Treasury. That's all.

The folks who scream for more regulation don't understand the current nature of Washington and Wall Street.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
It isn't all about regulation. Sufficient competition is also important.

The damage done to BP from this well blowout is enough to wreck the company, as it probably should. Lawsuits, speculators shorting the stock into oblivion, and angry consumers boycotting BP will give them what they deserve. Good free market activities.

The only problem is that in today's age, the governments and corporations are in bed with each other, and having threesomes with financial terrorists like Goldman Sachs. So what we have is basically corporations regulating themselves as all the execs obtain jobs in government.

So in fact, more regulation isn't necessarily a good thing. As in the case with the bank bailout, Goldman Sachs received taxpayer money to replace the capital of bad bets, all the while putting its competitors out of the business. The only reason it happened is because former Goldman execs had positions in the Treasury. That's all.

The folks who scream for more regulation don't understand the current nature of Washington and Wall Street.
Okay then, regulation that ensures that theres sufficient compeititon :D

But you're right, governments and corporations are in bed together, so any regulation will most probably be influenced by big corporations and subsequently be regulation that favors them.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Okay then, regulation that ensures that theres sufficient compeititon :D

But you're right, governments and corporations are in bed together, so any regulation will most probably be influenced by big corporations and subsequently be regulation that favors them.
... which hurts their competitors and the small players. Exactly right.

So what you get is a command and control, fascist economy. That never works. But here we are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)