Lockerbie bomber released (15 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What do all the different coloured lines mean?
The wavy blue-ish lines are called moving averages, the 50 and 200 day moving averages. These are statistical averages that basically plot the movement of the price of the stock. They help in determining the trend of the price action, among other things.

The vertical red dotted lines correspond with stock option expiration.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You said "what a great short".

You meant a short option, i assume. How did you get that from the chart??
I was speaking more to the fact that it went from 62 to 26 in the matter of months. That would be a good "short", as in betting on the decline of the stock, if you did so in April.

It was a good short on the news from a fundamental perspective. Obviously the company would get ripped as oil gushed into the gulf. But from a technical perspective, the cross of the 50 day moving average under the 200 day moving average is a bearish signal, meaning chances are the stock would decline. This is a called a "death cross."

Moving averages are just one indicator of future price action. There are several different indicators based on statistics and trend analysis, among other things, including money flow and simple things like the slope of the rise in the stock graph. But none of them should be taken as a "sure bet".

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I was speaking more to the fact that it went from 62 to 26 in the matter of months. That would be a good "short", as in betting on the decline of the stock, if you did so in April.

It was a good short on the news from a fundamental perspective. Obviously the company would get ripped as oil gushed into the gulf. But from a technical perspective, the cross of the 50 day moving average under the 200 day moving average is a bearish signal, meaning chances are the stock would decline. This is a called a "death cross."

Moving averages are just one indicator of future price action. There are several different indicators based on statistics and trend analysis, among other things, including money flow and simple things like the slope of the rise in the stock graph. But none of them should be taken as a "sure bet".
Aha. Now i know what you're talking about, as i remember taking technical analysis and fundamental analysis and the difference between them.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Aha. Now i know what you're talking about, as i remember taking technical analysis and fundamental analysis and the difference between them.
Yeah, you won't have technical analysis taught at the uni. This is something you have to learn on your own as professors hate technicals. But in the short term, techs are solid, especially support and resistance levels. As Deneb says, it's the only way to trade. Much of the time the market doesn't even run on fundamentals; i.e. today -- rallied 2% in stocks despite a very poor job number.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The Lockerbie bomber made me severely dislike Libya for a period of time.

But then i came along, and all that changed:dule:

Yeah, you won't have technical analysis taught at the uni. This is something you have to learn on your own as professors hate technicals. But in the short term, techs are solid, especially support and resistance levels. As Deneb says, it's the only way to trade. Much of the time the market doesn't even run on fundamentals; i.e. today -- rallied 2% in stocks despite a very poor job number.
You're right, they just told us what technical analysis was, they didn't actually teach us how to do it.

Fundamentals are just theory, most of the time, they have no real bearing on real life.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
But then i came along, and all that changed:dule:

You're right, they just told us what technical analysis was, they didn't actually teach us how to do it.

Fundamentals are just theory, most of the time, they have no real bearing on real life.
Well they do in the long run, certainly. If housing prices continue to rise while home sales fall, you have an imbalance that needs to adjust. It might take a while to play out, but it must do so mathematically. Then once it does, the effects are seen in the market.

This is why I'm a major bear on stocks and the economy over all. What's being priced into stocks is a recovery with massive GDP growth, which there is little sign of from the private sector. While stocks rallied off their lows, fundamentally it has gone too far, and will correct at some point.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
And both fundamentality and technically, BP should be fucked. Unless they get lucky somehow. I don't believe the Gulf Disaster is over, and neither does NOAA.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Good to see that Scottish and British ministers are turning down the request to appear before a Senate committee in the US.

They don't have to justify themselves to a bunch of Americans who are jumping on the anti-BP bandwagon.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Good to see that Scottish and British ministers are turning down the request to appear before a Senate committee in the US.

They don't have to justify themselves to a bunch of Americans who are jumping on the anti-BP bandwagon.
Got to agree that people just seem to be jumping on the hate BP bandwagon.

But the fact that the guy was released was a ridiculous decision, and it certainly seems that there was more going on to make the move.

I just wonder would America be making such accusations if they didn't have some sort of information about it?

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Oh rock on Rockall, you'll never fall to Britain's greedy hands
Or you'll meet the same resistance that you did in many lands
May the seagulls rise and pluck your eyes and the water crush your shell,
And the natural gas will burn your ass and blow you all to hell

That's how you jump on an anti-Anglo Petroleum bandwagon you Colonial amateurs.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh rock on Rockall, you'll never fall to Britain's greedy hands
Or you'll meet the same resistance that you did in many lands
May the seagulls rise and pluck your eyes and the water crush your shell,
And the natural gas will burn your ass and blow you all to hell

That's how you jump on an anti-Anglo Petroleum bandwagon you Colonial amateurs.
HELL NO WE WON'T GO, WE WON'T FIGHT FOR TEXACO! (circa 1990).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)