Lionel Messi (13 Viewers)

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
:agree:

Both are doing their best to destroy football and all its grand traditions. Most disgusting clubs around.
I was against the Super League but it starts to be more appealing to me.

Especially as UEFA doesn't give a flying fuck about these two clubs and their insane spending, especially PSG.

FFP doesn't work at all, I already knew it but PSG just makes me remember it even better.

They can buy all the starts they want but they will never be sexy and appealing like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve etc. At least not to me.

These mentioned clubs have history, culture, identity, titles, pedigree and a special vibe to them you can't buy for money.

ggnoree

Jul 24, 2009
How much do Neymar and Mbappe contribute to the defense? If they don't bother much and then you add Messi and you have 3 players that are playing mostly for attack how are they going to balance the team?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Unpopular opinion:

I really dont think what PSG is capable of doing(especially because it has little to do with sporting merit) is healthy for the sport. But I am a football fan first and foremost. As a football fan, i cannot wait to see that attacking trio in action!

That being said, PSG killed my love of Ligue ages ago. In France prefer all 19 teams ahead of them haha.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Did nobody learn from the Euros that the best team wins rather than the most stacked team? Organisation and heart from Switzerland was too much for superstar France, PSG has no heart.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Unpopular opinion:

I really dont think what PSG is capable of doing(especially because it has little to do with sporting merit) is healthy for the sport. But I am a football fan first and foremost. As a football fan, i cannot wait to see that attacking trio in action!

That being said, PSG killed my love of Ligue ages ago. In France prefer all 19 teams ahead of them haha.
People are hating on PSG and rightly so, but would they care if Juve was doing the same thing? I wouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Did nobody learn from the Euros that the best team wins rather than the most stacked team? Organisation and heart from Switzerland was too much for superstar France, PSG has no heart.
What PSG is doing is marketing, rather than team-building tbh.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I actually liked PSG as a kid, mostly because of their shirts, and now I'm kinda disappointed because of what they have become...

Still, they have some cool marketing stunts, like cooperation with Air Jordan etc. which brings us to a point someone already mentioned, they are more marketing machine than the football club.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
People are hating on PSG and rightly so, but would they care if Juve was doing the same thing? I wouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

What PSG is doing is marketing, rather than team-building tbh.
Juve have always spent what they earned and been pretty successful at it.

Madrid and Barca have borrowed money from banks to stay competitive and that explains their massive debts. But when FFP kicked in, they've spent what they earned.

What PSG are doing is on a whole different level. How is it fair when a club has access to unlimited government funds?

Let's not even talk about how this wealth has been built.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Juve have always spent what they earned and been pretty successful at it.

Madrid and Barca have borrowed money from banks to stay competitive and that explains their massive debts. But when FFP kicked in, they've spent what they earned.

What PSG are doing is on a whole different level. How is it fair when a club has access to unlimited government funds?

Let's not even talk about how this wealth has been built.
Well, Juve is owned and run by intelligent secular Westerners, not by some desert barbarians that struck gold.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
chelsea won CL in the same way. Just amazing how much tuchel has turned Chelsea around.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well, Juve is owned and run by intelligent secular Westerners, not by some desert barbarians that struck gold.
Source of their owner's wealth, and the motivation behind pumping so much money into PSG not withstanding. Nasser Al Khelaifi is not from the royal family and was not born in a rich family. He was a professional tennis player, and someone who did very well as an executive in his post playing career. He got to the top of the Qatari sovereign wealth fund not by privilege. How is he a barbarian?

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Unpopular opinion:

Of course what they are doing is bad for the game. They have inflated the market so much that Locatelli now costs 40 million.
No wonder when Neymar goes for 240 million.

Also they are making other traditional clubs, us included, go bankrupt for trying to keep up with them.
Since they are backed by states or oligarchs (Chelsea) who use them as a publicity stunt they don't care about sustainability.

It's like Italy(ruled by Mussolini) would own Aston Villa to promote turism while making the world turn a blind eye about what's going in his country.

Anyway the game in it's current format is sooner or later start to go they way of the dodo, at least in terms of appeal to new fans, as AA already said.
That's why FIFA is pushing 30 minutes halfs and clockstops.
Although the money increased the game got boring and stale.
FIFA and UEFA has never been more corrupt than now.
Hosting the wc in Qatar is a joke(I'm gonna skip it).

I can give me as an example. Used to turn up regularly for CL, regardless of who's playing, but not anymore. I watch Juve and that's it. Even the cl is no interest to me anymore.
Watched 15 minutes of it.
In their greed and deluded wisdow Uefa thought that the answer is to dilute the competition further by allowing 36 teams to participate.

Tuz is more entertaining than any regular match outside of Juve.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Of course what they are doing is bad for the game. They have inflated the market so much that Locatelli now costs 40 million.

Also they are making other traditional clubs, us included, go bankrupt for trying to keep up with them.
Since they are backed by states or oligarchs (Chelsea) who use them as a publicity stunt they don't care about sustainability.

It's like Italy(ruled by Mussolini) would own Aston Villa to promote turism while making the world turn a blind eye about what's going in his country.

Anyway the game in it's current format is sooner or later start to go they way of the dodo, at least in terms of appeal to new fans, as AA already said.

I can give me as an example. Used to turn up regularly for CL, regardless of who's playing, but not anymore. I watch Juve and that's it. Even the cl is no interest to me anymore.
In their greed and deluded wisdow Uefa thought that the answer is to dilute the competition further by allowing 36 teams to participate.

Well you are like nowdays kids. You prob can't watch movies either. Non stop adhd, social media via phone and can't focus on a single thing.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Yes i agree with that completely. The biggest problem is that they work with a completely different agenda. One that has little to do with sports, and more to do with political and power ambitions of an ultra rich small nation state. So when you have that kind of situation, the amounts they are willing to invest just do not make sense from a sporting perspective. I also think FFP is absolutely in the favor of top teams, or rather let me say rich teams. One of the worst things UEFA has done tbh. FFP affects teams trying to reach the top, not teams that are already there (top from a financial pov)

That being said. At the end of the day, when you have that much talent in one team, its bound to be entertaining from a football perspective. I like watching good football, and i expect PSG with their players, and the coach they have to play some really good football.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and btw, allowing 36 teams in CL, and 24 or whatever it is in Euros dilutes the quality of matches so much. We're gonna get a lot of one sided games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)