Linux for your taste (sorry Naw :D) (13 Viewers)

What OS do you use?

• Windows

• Linux

• Mac

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
No, I've used kubuntu now for many years. It has a similar level of stability and quality as ubuntu, but I prefer the kde desktop.
When did you abandon Gentoo?

I remember the long evenings of support you gave me installing and learning Linux. I lost interest and I haven't changed my Mint OS since 2015

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
When did you abandon Gentoo?

I remember the long evenings of support you gave me installing and learning Linux. I lost interest and I haven't changed my Mint OS since 2015
Gentoo is a super cool project and I'm really impressed with the longevity and stability of it, even though it doesn't have any significant company backing like Ubuntu with Canonical or Fedora with Red Hat. I installed it in a virtual machine a few months ago when I was experimenting with something and the install process is still largely the same as it was, and it works really well. The community is still there, and still active. It gives me a sense of nostalgia.

I think I stopped using Gentoo when I stopped being so interested in trying different distros in general. When I first started playing with Linux it was a hobby and a learning experience. Later on software development became my career and Linux became a platform on which I work, so I was less interested in playing with the distro itself and more focused on development work. That's when I transitioned to ubuntu (kubuntu, really) and have used it ever since because it requires less effort to use than Gentoo.

You're not the only one. A while ago my dad asked me to upgrade the software on his laptop and his ubuntu install (that I set up for him) was 7 years old. Still worked well. I got him on the latest ubuntu.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
kde was my first DE that i used when i installed ubuntu for the first time 5 years back. i switched from KDE to xfce it Maybe because of all the irritating bugs with irritating movements sometimes since then i mostly used xfce.
i'll try KDE later.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
hmm sounds interesting, never heard of it
Kerio is both software and hardware, You can access and work with it through the web.
i'm working in an organization as Network Administrator. the organization has the number of 160 employees. With kerio, i can create account for anyone who wants to connect to the Internet and monitor what traffic is enabled or blocked.

Jun 7, 2003
Kerio is both software and hardware, You can access and work with it through the web.
i'm working in an organization as Network Administrator. the organization has the number of 160 employees. With kerio, i can create account for anyone who wants to connect to the Internet and monitor what traffic is enabled or blocked.
Is it useful for an individual to have it or is it more for organizations?

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
i've been tinkering with linux a bit lately. i got a couple of raspberry pi's and micro sd's around and wanted to make a proper tidal connect streamer. now the issue is that tidal connect isn't open source, tidal api isn't public either, so either i rely on volumio (subscription required, i have one, but they recently doubled their prices, ehh) or a forked library from an ifi streamer that god knows how long will be working. i tried a load of audio focused distros like picoreplayer, dietpi, moode, ropieee, runeaudio (now called raudio), max2play, hifiberry os and some others i don't remember.

to make things more complicated, besides the "vanilla" rpi4, i have an audiophonics raspdac which is a pi3b coupled with a dac hat, an oled screen, a power button and a cool case. it's a bit more of a challenge cause you don't only want tidal connect to work, but also your screen and power button.

anyway, my final pick is moode audio if anyone interested. everything works, including the screen (pydpiper is nice and customizable), dac and power button. almost fully functional like volumio, but free.

linux is cool.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)