Lilian Thuram: best defender in the world? (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
After seeing his fantastic performances last year, I would have to say yes. I'm completely stunned and shocked by UEFA's choice of Roberto Carlos as last seasons best defender, for many reasons. Firstly, his last season was nothing out of the ordinary. He had his fair share of good games, but also a bit of bad ones, especially in the Semi Finals against Juventus where he was completely outplayed by our golden-boy Zambrotta. Secondly, he is world famous for everything and anything other than his defending, which is what awards for best defender should be all about. He did not score many of his characteristic goals, nor did he wreck havoc among oposittion defences at the end of the season, in the CL.

On the other hand, and I could be just a bit biased here, Lilian Thuram was unbeliavably consistant in his world class performances all year, in Serie A as much as in the Champions League. His defending skills were abmirable, and altho his offensive skills may not be as developed as Carlos', he did his fair share of helping out on the opposition's half of the pitch. In games against Barcelona and Real Madrid he showed nothing less than textbook performances, literally holding the ageing defence together by himself. He proved he has the best head in football, as far as both heading out the ball and intelligence on the field is concerned. Another admirable part of his personality is his steel character, which allows him to always remain calm and behave in the spirit of fair play, and he would undoubtably make a better role model for children all around the world than a temperamental, ref-attacking superstar with a huge ego.

In my opinion, the Dest Defender award wrongfully passed by Thuram and into Carlos' hands, for reasons that probably have less to do with football and more with business and marketing.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
G_O_A_T :eek:

I sooo agree with u here :thumb: . Especially the last paragraph.

They simply couldn't let too many Juve players win...... :groan: so it's unfair :groan:

Oh and super sig!!!!!! luv it!!!!!! Hey if u ever get sick of it or decide to change yr current sig, may i use it? :)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
to be fair i think either maldini or nesta should land the award... their stable defense actually bring the cup to milan.. not to get the credit out of thuram of course... he and buffon is our most consistent player all year round... how the award past through to r carlos is beyond me... i wasnt biased at all here.. i actually admire the guy and i think he is among that those legendary left backs.. when he has a good season he realy do but last year wasnt one of themm... real madrids defense was a disaster last season... how can one of their 'defender ' get the european defender of the year award....its illogical

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
goat i agree with you except for the part that he should have won it. HONESTLY, i think maldini or nesta should have won it. but the last person that i think should have won it was rc. it was obviously marketing and business. madrid had to get something out of europe this year... but if that was not the case, eiter of the milan duo rightfully deserverd the honour, with thuram inches behind them. however, if we won the final, then i believe thuram shouldhave beent he firm contender to have won it. but hey its politics and us fans shouldnt get invovled...

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
I think Maldini should have won the award, despite the world-class performances of Thuram. But definately not Roberto Carlos.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
not talking about the awards, Thuram is the best defender in the world IMO, even if i'm not entirely objective :D

When he played against Barcelona in the second half he was simply amazing :eek:
I have never seen such a performance from a defender.
almost inhuman, he played like a machine. how many headers did he get there? ;)
He made miserable the Barcelona forwards.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    I really dont see Thuram as being inferior to Maldini nor Nesta this season, I honestly cant remember them putting in performances like Thuram did against Barcelona or Real Madrid.

@Sunshine: What? Cant I have a good post once in a while? ;)
    P.S. Yes you may :)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
    In games against Barcelona and Real Madrid he showed nothing less than textbook performances, literally holding the ageing defence together by himself.
    couldnt agree more on this

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
    People are you blind or what, how come Thuram be the best in the world, you are all baised.
    you don't know how to evaluate a good defender!
    even the most clever commentators and players think he is the best, or one ot the bests.

so he's not the best because he plays for Juve and we are biased?

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Edgar Davids ] ++
    but he is the best right back in the world for sure
    Yeah, I agree on that, even if Zanetti comes to mind too , But who cares for Inter players, the eternal losers ;)

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    Zanetti is great right back, but he's not a champion like Thuram. (World champion, European champion, Italian champion, Uefa cup, Italian cup, almost CL champion)
    as you said that's because Zanetti play for Inter.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Edgar you're too biased.

Thuram is one of the best defenders in the world, but Nesta, for example, has that extra something.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Edgar you're too biased.

Thuram is one of the best defenders in the world, but Nesta, for example, has that extra something.
    yeahh... he has that cute face and style which make him very marketable and idolize among teenagers...much easier to be turn into media hero....
    thuram on the other hand......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)