Lilian Thuram: best defender in the world? (1 Viewer)

slack

Dec 13, 2002
No problem. Just thought that you might like to insert more that's all.

I fail to see how captaincy makes someone more of a champion. Seniority aside, I wonder where Zanetti would stand if he had the likes of Deschamps, Desailly to contend with. You DON'T know about Thuram at Parma but goes on to make a ridiculous comparison regardless. As for relative successes, with regard to Zanetti, what success? For a person who professed gross ignorance about the Frenchman's club career, you have some nerve calling people biased. Go watch more footy and you might see what we mean.

I don't give a rat's ass about Samuel nor Ferdinand, slow butcher and frustrated midfielder respectively. On the pitch, compared to Thuram, Nesta's a scumbag albeit a rather popular and effective one at that. Btw, you agreed as well so I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
No problem. Just thought that you might like to insert more that's all.

I fail to see how captaincy makes someone more of a champion. Seniority aside, I wonder where Zanetti would stand if he had the likes of Deschamps, Desailly to contend with. You DON'T know about Thuram at Parma but goes on to make a ridiculous comparison regardless. As for relative successes, with regard to Zanetti, what success? For a person who professed gross ignorance about the Frenchman's club career, you have some nerve calling people biased. Go watch more footy and you might see what we mean.
I didn't underrate Thuram, I am just saying that Zanetti is better, that doesn't mean Thuram lacks champions spirit. He posses it but not as Zanetti's. it's not about captaincy only but leadership. It's more difficult to shine and gain fame with all this pressure on your back. Thuram gained his fame from his games with the NT. not with Parma. On the contrary Zanetti gained it from both The NT and Inter.

++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
I don't give a rat's ass about Samuel nor Ferdinand, slow butcher and frustrated midfielder respectively. On the pitch, compared to Thuram, Nesta's a scumbag albeit a rather popular and effective one at that. Btw, you agreed as well so I don't know what the fuss is all about.
And who is that frustrated midfielder. :rolleyes: btw from your posts i can see that you are underrating Nesta and i don't know why is that ?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by lilianna ] ++
:D i got lilian's autograph!! :D
:LOL: @ lil... i imagine we'll find these kinds of posts at every single thread concerning a player that u met / got an autograph from? :LOL: amidst all this argument, ur post looks out of place ;)

As for the captaincy argument... as if Thuram wouldn't be the captain at any team apart from Juve!?! It's not easy to captain Juve u know :rolleyes:

:p

Hey how cool would it be if u married Thuram :LOL: ur name

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
Yeah he was, recently both him and Maldini were responsible for Milan success in the CL. If it wasn't for him, they wouldn't have reached the 2nd round nor win the tournament.

Tell me Who is/was the best now and then ??
The best defender in the world right now at this moment is Christian Chivu. HE has played amazingly in defence for Roma and his free kicks put him head and shoulders over the rest. Materazzi is also on fire right now, though he's not as good as Chivu. And Nesta was at Lazio a long time, but I guess for the bulk of that time, Jaap Stam was the best. He was a rock when he was at Manchester.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
I agree Chivu is good and his Freekicks Give him a slight edge over all other defenders. but he is not as solid as nesta is. he doesn't posses his tactical awareness and movement. and he is still tough and solid till now, looks like you hate milan that's why you keep refering to his lazio days ;)

Yeah Stam was one of the best while at Man.utd but not anymore. I used to rank both him and Nesta as the best in the world back then and I couldn't believe it when he joined Lazio to partner nesta in the defence. I thought we are about to see an Invincible Defense an all time best patnership but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Jul 12, 2002
I agree Chivu is good and his Freekicks Give him a slight edge over all other defenders. but he is not as solid as nesta is. he doesn't posses his tactical awareness and movement. and he is still tough and solid till now, looks like you hate milan that's why you keep refering to his lazio days ;)
Actually, I don't really have anything against Milan or Nesta, I'm just looking at it objectively.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Actually, I don't really have anything against Milan or Nesta, I'm just looking at it objectively.
Objectively,now Nesta is worse than what he was at Lazio ???? :eek:

Jul 12, 2002
Objectively,now Nesta is worse than what he was at Lazio ???? :eek:
Yeah. He's been fine at Milan, but he hasn't exactly produced that kind of superstar stuff he did at Lazio.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Yeah. He's been fine at Milan, but he hasn't exactly produced that kind of superstar stuff he did at Lazio.
I don't see that difference you are talking about, all i see is that he is more mature now at milan. and his skill is pretty much the same if not better. For the Azzurri he is their best CB, Vital and indispensable is what at least i can call him.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
My top defenders in the world(no order)

-Thuram: Pace, Power, Elegance and Cool Good Technique. He can get skilled out quite often. He is also strong in the air.

-Nesta: Pace, Power, Elegance, Response, Awareness, Good Technique. Nesta is the best Centre Back. He has it all.

-Cordoba: Super Pace, Power, Aggressive, Crazy Jumping ability. This guy can outjump players twice the size of him. His speed often gets him out of tight situations and he is rough unlike Thuram and Nesta.

Back in the days Aldair and Maldini come to mind. Ez

Jul 12, 2002
I don't see that difference you are talking about, all i see is that he is more mature now at milan. and his skill is pretty much the same if not better. For the Azzurri he is their best CB, Vital and indispensable is what at least i can call him.
I'll not argue the NT, as I don't watch Italy, but his positioning and his marking were better at Lazio.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
To answer the thread's question.....NO - Currently he's probably our worst defender from the starting 4 (Legro, Montero and Zambrotta). He doesn't overlap anymore (it was his forte), he always keeps opponents in play when Montero & co. are doing the offside trap and he is rarely winning one on one situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)