Libya 2011 Demonstrations (15 Viewers)

delrey

Jan 5, 2009
(Reuters) - NATO's bombing campaign has killed 718 Libyan civilians, government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said on Tuesday.

He said 4,067 civilians had been wounded, 433 of them seriously. The figures were current to May 26.

NATO has denied killing large numbers of civilians, and foreign reporters in Tripoli have not been shown evidence of large numbers of civilian casualties.

Asked why the authorities had not shown large numbers of casualties to foreign media, Ibrahim said this was because the casualties had not been concentrated near Tripoli but scattered across the country.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I have friends and family living in places where some of the bombing happens, they tell me this is all lies. Its amazing how precise NATO's bombs are, and until they actually let journalists near the bombed places so that the journalists can show the world how NATA is supposedly killing hundreds of civilians, i'm not going to believe a word of that fucking liar Musa Ibrahim.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
My city Sabha saw some big protests in the past couple of days, there is a huge media blackout, people dont have internet, the phones are barely working and there are no foreign journalists there. That is Libya's problem, most of the country is desert, and Sebha is an oasis in the middle of the desert, 750 km from Tripoli. 2 people were killed in yesterdays protests, the South has finally joined the revolution against Gedaffi.

Problem with the South is that its case might be more complicated than anywhere else. Sebha is the city where most of the African mercenaries were recruited, also the Gedaffi tribe is in Sebha, so there are bound to be many pro Gedaffi people in Sebha. Third of all, there is a huge number of spies, and government agents there. I'm mostly afriad of the fact that there are no foreign media in the South, so Gedaffi might suppress the revolt with excessive force and just sweep it under the carpet like nothing ever happened.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,207
    My city Sabha saw some big protests in the past couple of days, there is a huge media blackout, people dont have internet, the phones are barely working and there are no foreign journalists there. That is Libya's problem, most of the country is desert, and Sebha is an oasis in the middle of the desert, 750 km from Tripoli. 2 people were killed in yesterdays protests, the South has finally joined the revolution against Gedaffi.

Problem with the South is that its case might be more complicated than anywhere else. Sebha is the city where most of the African mercenaries were recruited, also the Gedaffi tribe is in Sebha, so there are bound to be many pro Gedaffi people in Sebha. Third of all, there is a huge number of spies, and government agents there. I'm mostly afriad of the fact that there are no foreign media in the South, so Gedaffi might suppress the revolt with excessive force and just sweep it under the carpet like nothing ever happened.
    I hope your people will get what they want soon, bro.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,209
    Rebels said this evening that Qaddhafi mercenaries bombarded Ghadames city for the first time today

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    They do not bomb civilians, not true at all. I have loads of friends in Tripoli that tell me that they don't know of any civilians that have died. They bomb military targets only, and even then the targets that they're going to bomb are already known, so even from Gedaffi's military there are few who died as a result of nato bombings in Tripoli

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Impeach this clown.

US lawmakers to file suit over Obama's Libya war
    (AFP) – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON — A bipartisan group of US lawmakers said they will file suit in federal court Wednesday challenging President Barack Obama over US military action in Libya.

Anti-war stalwart Democratic Representative Dennis Kucinich and Republican colleague Walter Jones said they and other members of Congress were taking their complaint to the US District Court in Washington "concerning President Barack Obama, the war in Libya and the American people."

Details on the suit would be revealed after the lawmakers present it in court at midday Wednesday, they said in a statement.

The White House has faced dissatisfaction on both sides of the aisle in Congress, where lawmakers have warned that Obama may be falling afoul of a law aimed at curtailing US presidents' ability to deploy the military overseas.

Senators and representatives have also expressed concerns about how long the conflict against Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi is taking, its impact on the turmoil in the Middle East and on US standing in the Muslim world.

Kucinich and Jones have been particularly vocal in charging that Obama failed to adequately consult Congress -- to which the US Constitution reserves the right to declare war -- before Britain, France and the United States started UN-authorized air strikes on March 19.

In late March, Kucinich said Obama had "subverted Congress and the United States Constitution" by ignoring the 1973 War Powers Resolution.
    The law stipulates that, absent congressional authorization, a military withdrawal from a conflict must be initiated within 60 days and completed within 90 days. The latter limit will be reached on Sunday.

On Tuesday, House Speaker John Boehner, Obama's top congressional critic, warned the president he may be in violation of the War Powers Resolution by this weekend unless he gets lawmakers' explicit approval for the Libya operation.

The House of Representatives recently passed a symbolic resolution chiding Obama for not seeking congressional approval for US involvement in Libya and giving him until June 17 to respond.

The White House has said it would soon issue a detailed report to Congress on Libya and the US military intervention.

Copyright © 2011 AFP. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.c06b7baf338858d0588bb3731051b716.2a1

:tup:

delrey

Jan 5, 2009
    They do not bomb civilians, not true at all. I have loads of friends in Tripoli that tell me that they don't know of any civilians that have died. They bomb military targets only, and even then the targets that they're going to bomb are already known, so even from Gedaffi's military there are few who died as a result of nato bombings in Tripoli
    In my country they bombed hospitals, bridges, schools, even residential buildings.
    And that was in my town, i saw it with my own eyes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)