Leonardo Spinazzola (2 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Always figured injuries were a big part of the reason we weren't so desperate to hold on to him. Even the season he spent here he made some great appearances but spent most of the season out recovering.

Yesterday, it looked a terrible decision.Today though it looks like we may have been right.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Sad
Always figured injuries were a big part of the reason we weren't so desperate to hold on to him. Even the season he spent here he made some great appearances but spent most of the season out recovering.

Yesterday, it looked a terrible decision.Today though it looks like we may have been right.
Sad but true

Carlos Primera

Il Vecchio Signore
Mar 29, 2009
Witsel tore his in February.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Witsel’s recovery was quite miraculous, probably the exception to the norm. It remains to be seen how severe the injury is; if it is a total rupture or perhaps a slightly lesser tear. For a player like Spina who relies on quick bursts of speed and explosiveness, this could be devastating. Im using basketball as a comparison because there have been many big names in basketball who have sustained this type of injury, many of those players took almost an entire calendar year off to rehab and get to playing shape. One thing going for Spina though is this is that he’s still relatively young.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

Yes, injuries were a considerable reason, he wasn't this player when we sold him. Plus his form in the Euros is different to what he can do consistently in Serie A. But international football is different, more open, less tactical. Tbh it's even slower than a lot of modern Serie A games.

That and no one had a clue about him before the tournament. I watched Meunier yesterday try to knock the ball past him and beat him for speed in the first 10 minutes. He didn't try that again.

He doesn't find the same space in Serie A as you get in international football. He's got wide open spaces to run into and with his speed it frightens people. But also his combination of speed and injury tendencies is a really bad one. And he's 28 years old now. Not good news at all. I always hoped he would do well as he is one of my favourite 5 or 10 players who I watched in the Primavera. But I'm not completely upset that we sold him because there is no pretending that he is going to be a healthy player or be able to bring that form from the Euros into club football. What is annoying is the relative dud that we swapped him for.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yes, injuries were a considerable reason, he wasn't this player when we sold him. Plus his form in the Euros is different to what he can do consistently in Serie A. But international football is different, more open, less tactical. Tbh it's even slower than a lot of modern Serie A games.

That and no one had a clue about him before the tournament. I watched Meunier yesterday try to knock the ball past him and beat him for speed in the first 10 minutes. He didn't try that again.

He doesn't find the same space in Serie A as you get in international football. He's got wide open spaces to run into and with his speed it frightens people. But also his combination of speed and injury tendencies is a really bad one. And he's 28 years old now. Not good news at all. I always hoped he would do well as he is one of my favourite 5 or 10 players who I watched in the Primavera. But I'm not completely upset that we sold him because there is no pretending that he is going to be a healthy player or be able to bring that form from the Euros into club football. What is annoying is the relative dud that we swapped him for.
Got to say I really disagree here. Spina was a huge offensive threat all tournament and did nothing against Meunier. No one expected Meunier to attack, everyone believed he'd be destroyed.

If anything it was Spina who was underwhelming yesterday.

Fact is Spina, despite being a wonderful player, is not extremely technically gifted and suffers against players who can match his athleticism.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Got to say I really disagree here. Spina was a huge offensive threat all tournament and did nothing against Meunier. No one expected Meunier to attack, everyone believed he'd be destroyed.

If anything it was Spina who was underwhelming yesterday.

Fact is Spina, despite being a wonderful player, is not extremely technically gifted and suffers against players who can match his athleticism.
Disagree with what? I just said that Meunier didn't try to beat him for pace for the rest of the game. I also thought that although Spinazzola was lively and saw a lot of the ball he didn't really get the upper hand on Meunier when they went 1v1. Often he laid the ball back to Insigne to do something with. But that is also useful because it created a lot of space for Insigne to go directly against the two centre backs.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Disagree with what? I just said that Meunier didn't try to beat him for pace for the rest of the game. I also thought that although Spinazzola was lively and saw a lot of the ball he didn't really get the upper hand on Meunier when they went 1v1. Often he laid the ball back to Insigne to do something with. But that is also useful because it created a lot of space for Insigne to go directly against the two centre backs.
I think your expectations were wrong. Meunier didn't try to beat him, because he wasn't expected to.

Spina saw a lot of the ball, but didn't do all that much with it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)