Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
So you save 2m at a push but commit to an extra couple of years contract with busquets. You weaken the defence and mildly, at best upgrade the midfield - our midfield struggles with creativity, an old and past it busquets doesn’t solve that. Taking Bonucci out of our defence leaves the defence massively in need of an upgrade - unless you think Demiral and De Ligt alone are enough to get us through 38 league games, 6 cup games, 8 CL/Europa League games and any other random competition we decide to join to kill off the sport.

So swapping Bon Bon for Busquets: A) doesn’t solve our midfield problems and B) Creates an even bigger defensive problem

It’s this kind of papering over cracks that has got us in this mess. There is no logic at all in that trade other than some made up plusvalenza bullshit
No, Bonucci has a contract until 2024. If you add Busqi to a 3 year deal it's the same length. And a lower salary, from the clubs perspective...

I don't think you weaken the defense. Chiellini-De Ligt is our best pair, and you want to give playing time to Demiral (if he stays) or Dragusin. If we do the Romagnoli-Bernardeschi swap then Bon is redundant.

Mildly at best? Current Busquets is still levels above what we have. And we don't have anyone that knows how to play infront of the defense both ways, starting attacks, moving the play. Busquets will be able to do it better in 3 years still than anyone we have comfortably.

We are in this mess because we had no strategy, adding mids just because they are available without looking what we need actually. and if you think Busquets doesn't solve a need I suggest you watch us try to organize attacks from the back

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No, Bonucci has a contract until 2024. If you add Busqi to a 3 year deal it's the same length. And a lower salary, from the clubs perspective...

I don't think you weaken the defense. Chiellini-De Ligt is our best pair, and you want to give playing time to Demiral (if he stays) or Dragusin. If we do the Romagnoli-Bernardeschi swap then Bon is redundant.

Mildly at best? Current Busquets is still levels above what we have. And we don't have anyone that knows how to play infront of the defense both ways, starting attacks, moving the play. Busquets will be able to do it better in 3 years still than anyone we have comfortably.

We are in this mess because we had no strategy, adding mids just because they are available without looking what we need actually. and if you think Busquets doesn't solve a need I suggest you watch us try to organize attacks from the back
It's funny, we could actually really use a player like Busquets. All the others we've tried to use in front of the defense haven't worked, especially Benta and Arthur. He doesn't give the ball away easily and reads the game very well, so having him would allow us some stability in that role. The problem is he's not getting any younger and we need other players as well to surround him.

But hey, if we can reduce the wage bill and offload this Bonucci wanker, then why not.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
It's funny, we could actually really use a player like Busquets. All the others we've tried to use in front of the defense haven't worked, especially Benta and Arthur. He doesn't give the ball away easily and reads the game very well, so having him would allow us some stability in that role. The problem is he's not getting any younger and we need other players as well to surround him.

But hey, if we can reduce the wage bill and offload this Bonucci wanker, then why not.
It would be nice if we could get 4-5 young and quality players in key positions that need to be improved, but we sadly don't have money for that. So you have to improvise on some positions, add short term fixes in some, and use the money we have and will get from sales on long term solutions in other positions. We are in deep mess, it will take 2-3 summers to be back where we were few years ago

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
But you can bet your ass on Busquets earning just as much if not more when he comes here. And he's easly as washed up if that's the term you wanna use.

On top of that, we'll have to buy a CB if we ship out Bonucci. DeLigt is the only reliable one left without Bonucci. Demiral is injured often and so is Chiello.

Where is the saved money at when we trade the two cause I don't see it.

Adding a over the hill wanker like Busquets is helping no one except for Barca.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I think management has had enough as well, all their public comments suggest it. that’s why I don’t buy any rumor involving an older player. Didn’t buy the Aguero shit either.
if that's the case, it must be a rather new strategy. agnelli confirmed in his testemony he gave regarding the suarez case that we were after both suarez and dzeko during last summer, and both of them were preferred to morata.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004

Yeah so you save 2m a season in your calculations. I also question that busquets would ask for less than Bonucci.

Chiellini is quite clearly retiring this season and romganoli inspires even less confidence than Bonucci.

and yes busquets mildly improved the midfield. He’s a fading player, and you surround him with Rabiot, Ramsey and Bentancur and he’s going to also look average. The midfield needs its heart ripped out and a complete rebuild top to bottom. Not a short term stop gap solution moving an overpaid and past it player in for another over paid past it player

trust me I’ve watched us build from the back, we have no issue building from the back. What we completely lack is a dynamic midfielder that can make runs in behind, move off the ball, drag defenders out of position and play killer balls. We have enough to side to side and backwards passers. No thanks to buckets

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Yeah so you save 2m a season in your calculations. I also question that busquets would ask for less than Bonucci.

Chiellini is quite clearly retiring this season and romganoli inspires even less confidence than Bonucci.

and yes busquets mildly improved the midfield. He’s a fading player, and you surround him with Rabiot, Ramsey and Bentancur and he’s going to also look average. The midfield needs its heart ripped out and a complete rebuild top to bottom. Not a short term stop gap solution moving an overpaid and past it player in for another over paid past it player

trust me I’ve watched us build from the back, we have no issue building from the back. What we completely lack is a dynamic midfielder that can make runs in behind, move off the ball, drag defenders out of position and play killer balls. We have enough to side to side and backwards passers. No thanks to buckets
Busquets earns 8.5M net, it's already more than Bonucci. If both players stay on the same wages then both clubs will save in wages. Busquets comes from abroad so his gross wages would be quite lower than those of Bonucci, even if he earns more net. It's thanks to the new tax laws in Italy.

I don't know if Chiellini is retiring but we need a starting partner for De Ligt, and that can not be Bonucci. Hes simply not good enough. Chiellini would stay as a reserve, we need experienced warriors on the bench to play whenever necessary without complaining, and he's exactly that. Bonucci far less so. We should try to keep him another year. Romagnoli is better than Bonucci. It doesn't have to be him, but we need someone to start next to De Ligt.

Busquets is the type that controls games and tempo, directs the play, starts attacks and is good defensively as well, especially would be here since we don't stay so high all the time like Barcelona, he would have less ground to cover. And who says you surround him with those? What part of we need a midfield revamp you missed? You need atleast 1 more, and preferably 2 more. So get someone like Aouar/Gravenberch with Dybala money and try to get De Paul with loan, bonuses, youngsters going there way, you know, classic Juve type move. And then you have something. Rabiot and Ramsey will almost definitely leave, maybe Bentancur as well. Doubt very much that they are here next season.

I agree with that actually, which is why I said we need to save money for those positions. We need to land a ace there, two actually, since we have no one that knows how to play in the final 3rd, except always injured Ramsey. So those should be our top priorities, which also means you need to fix other areas with limited resources, hence these swap deals. We just need to do them the right way instead of amortizing a bum like Arthur on 20M a year and giving him 5M net on a 5 year contract.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Busquets earns 8.5M net, it's already more than Bonucci. If both players stay on the same wages then both clubs will save in wages. Busquets comes from abroad so his gross wages would be quite lower than those of Bonucci, even if he earns more net. It's thanks to the new tax laws in Italy.

I don't know if Chiellini is retiring but we need a starting partner for De Ligt, and that can not be Bonucci. Hes simply not good enough. Chiellini would stay as a reserve, we need experienced warriors on the bench to play whenever necessary without complaining, and he's exactly that. Bonucci far less so. We should try to keep him another year. Romagnoli is better than Bonucci. It doesn't have to be him, but we need someone to start next to De Ligt.

Busquets is the type that controls games and tempo, directs the play, starts attacks and is good defensively as well, especially would be here since we don't stay so high all the time like Barcelona, he would have less ground to cover. And who says you surround him with those? What part of we need a midfield revamp you missed? You need atleast 1 more, and preferably 2 more. So get someone like Aouar/Gravenberch with Dybala money and try to get De Paul with loan, bonuses, youngsters going there way, you know, classic Juve type move. And then you have something. Rabiot and Ramsey will almost definitely leave, maybe Bentancur as well. Doubt very much that they are here next season.

I agree with that actually, which is why I said we need to save money for those positions. We need to land a ace there, two actually, since we have no one that knows how to play in the final 3rd, except always injured Ramsey. So those should be our top priorities, which also means you need to fix other areas with limited resources, hence these swap deals. We just need to do them the right way instead of amortizing a bum like Arthur on 20M a year and giving him 5M net on a 5 year contract.
I just see the defence as less of a problem at the moment than that terrible midfield. Bonucci isn’t as terrible as you make out though, he’s obviously not a superstar and he has so many flaws but our defence without him at the moment is a lot weaker, our midfield with busquets isn’t as improved as our defence would be weakened and that’s why I disagree with the deal.

If we get a midfield that can break up play and defend (kante mould) then Bonucci is going to look a lot better because he’s not so isolated and exposed. We need to start finding stars in midfield though rather than plugging with stop gaps and busquets would just be a short term fix - personally I’d rather see Arthur have a full season healthy playing in our midfield if we can get a destroyer and a creator next to him

we don’t have to agree but I just don’t want to see swap deals for known quantities this summer, we’re too vulnerable. (Apart from swap deals for Bernardeschi - I’d accept a can of spaghetti hoops for that useless idiot)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I just see the defence as less of a problem at the moment than that terrible midfield. Bonucci isn’t as terrible as you make out though, he’s obviously not a superstar and he has so many flaws but our defence without him at the moment is a lot weaker, our midfield with busquets isn’t as improved as our defence would be weakened and that’s why I disagree with the deal.

If we get a midfield that can break up play and defend (kante mould) then Bonucci is going to look a lot better because he’s not so isolated and exposed. We need to start finding stars in midfield though rather than plugging with stop gaps and busquets would just be a short term fix - personally I’d rather see Arthur have a full season healthy playing in our midfield if we can get a destroyer and a creator next to him

we don’t have to agree but I just don’t want to see swap deals for known quantities this summer, we’re too vulnerable. (Apart from swap deals for Bernardeschi - I’d accept a can of spaghetti hoops for that useless idiot)
He's not terrible, but he earns 6M net, almost 12M gross. Those are not just starter, but star caliber wages for a CB. Yet realistically he should be at best 3rd choice next seasons. Cost to quality ratio is just bad imo. Our defense looked best when Chiellini-De Ligt played this season, and Chiello is 1. Much cheaper 2. Better fit to De Ligt and better player than Bonu 3. More OK with a bench role. He's also more of a leader. I mean the choice should be easy who to take. We dug our own grave with Bonu, 1st by bringing him back unnecessarily and 2nd by extending him and giving a raise, so we have only us to blame. But if someone gives us an out, why not take it?

The midfielders I listed are just examples, but the truth is we need two b2b/mezzala types more than a DM/regista, but even then our current options for DM are at best rotation level. The reality is we need 3 starters in midfield, and each with different characteristics and role. The question is would you rather have two 8-10 level guys and Busquets or three 6-7 level guys? Because if we spread the little money we have on 3, we won't get much better than we already have

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
He's not terrible, but he earns 6M net, almost 12M gross. Those are not just starter, but star caliber wages for a CB. Yet realistically he should be at best 3rd choice next seasons. Cost to quality ratio is just bad imo. Our defense looked best when Chiellini-De Ligt played this season, and Chiello is 1. Much cheaper 2. Better fit to De Ligt and better player than Bonu 3. More OK with a bench role. He's also more of a leader. I mean the choice should be easy who to take. We dug our own grave with Bonu, 1st by bringing him back unnecessarily and 2nd by extending him and giving a raise, so we have only us to blame. But if someone gives us an out, why not take it?

The midfielders I listed are just examples, but the truth is we need two b2b/mezzala types more than a DM/regista, but even then our current options for DM are at best rotation level. The reality is we need 3 starters in midfield, and each with different characteristics and role. The question is would you rather have two 8-10 level guys and Busquets or three 6-7 level guys? Because if we spread the little money we have on 3, we won't get much better than we already have
Chiellini is absolutely the far superior defender, even now. But Chiellini is made of glass and I’m 90% sure he will retire this season. If he doesn’t then realistically he will only start 15 games next year. Yes Bonucci’s cost is insane and it was another stupid deal to bring him back and renew him, IIRC we had Benatia at the time who was a better all round defender.

I’d rather have 2 8-10’s alongside Arthur though rather than Busquets - I just do not see that guy justifying a starting spot

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Chiellini is absolutely the far superior defender, even now. But Chiellini is made of glass and I’m 90% sure he will retire this season. If he doesn’t then realistically he will only start 15 games next year. Yes Bonucci’s cost is insane and it was another stupid deal to bring him back and renew him, IIRC we had Benatia at the time who was a better all round defender.

I’d rather have 2 8-10’s alongside Arthur though rather than Busquets - I just do not see that guy justifying a starting spot
Yes we had Benatia, and De Vrij was a bosman that summer and went to inter for free. Our midfield reinforcement was Can for 16M while we spend 35M on Bonucci. And then Milan don't even buy Higuain but return him after 6 months, they fucked us. It was bad business. Chiellini SHOULD start only 15-20 games, baring no injuries. And we need to give playing time for Dragusin/Demiral. So I think we have a surplus backup CB and lack a starting caliber one. I hope Chiellini stays and retires a year after, when we have a better idea on Dragusin

I think you underrate Busquets. I'd rather have arthur last mid on the bench instead of starting actually, that's how slow/lethargic/bad he looks. But let's agree to disagree

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
if that's the case, it must be a rather new strategy. agnelli confirmed in his testemony he gave regarding the suarez case that we were after both suarez and dzeko during last summer, and both of them were preferred to morata.
The sad, sad state this club is in.

Thankfully, some of the dreadful deals JJ wants to make fall through in the end. We just might have regressed even further if all their preferred deals had gone through. :lol2:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
But you can bet your ass on Busquets earning just as much if not more when he comes here. And he's easly as washed up if that's the term you wanna use.

On top of that, we'll have to buy a CB if we ship out Bonucci. DeLigt is the only reliable one left without Bonucci. Demiral is injured often and so is Chiello.

Where is the saved money at when we trade the two cause I don't see it.

Adding a over the hill wanker like Busquets is helping no one except for Barca.
Bonucci is so poor to me I don't really care what we do with him honestly. We should be keeping Demiral and we were always going to need a new CB anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)