Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
:agree:

There has got to be a point where we weigh up what is more important. Given that we usually have Cancelo at the back adding distribution, the need for Bonucci's passing isn't as high.
Cancelo has a completely different skillset and his distribution is nowhere near Bonucci's. His impact on our play is huge, last season we struggled so much with playing from the back with Benatia. Ended up resorting to Mourinho tactics in almost every big game because we couldn't control a midfield. Not having Bonucci meant that if Pjanic was out or out of form then our build up looked like Chievo's.

Buy on AliExpress.com

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Cancelo has a completely different skillset and his distribution is nowhere near Bonucci's. His impact on our play is huge, last season we struggled so much with playing from the back with Benatia. Ended up resorting to Mourinho tactics in almost every big game because we couldn't control a midfield. Not having Bonucci meant that if Pjanic was out or out of form then our build up looked like Chievo's.
I think you're underrating fullbacks role in playing the ball out from the back. Good example is Spurs-Juve return leg and what happened when Max put on two capable fullbacks in Licht and Asa on the pitch, both completely changed the game. Bonucci has the long ball capability, pulls the rare assist and is very consistent in his short passing, but you're making it sound like he's Pirlo dancing through three opponents at a time and spraying long balls all over the pitch. :D

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Of course the fullbacks are big but it's not the enough to control the midfield. If the fullback are the main outlet then we become very vulnerable to a high press. Which is why Mandzukic was so useful last season because we just kicked it out to him from the back when there was not outlet available. Bonucci just makes all of this easier. Playing to the FBs, playing to Mandzukic, playing to the midfield when Pjanic is marked, etc. He is far ahead in his passing and vision than Chiellini or Benatia.

We aren't dominating midfield this season because of signing Cancelo (he is great, don't get me wrong), we are dominating midfields because Bonucci is back. Last season we would sit back even against Roma, Spurs, etc.

Apr 19, 2007
Of course the fullbacks are big but it's not the enough to control the midfield. If the fullback are the main outlet then we become very vulnerable to a high press. Which is why Mandzukic was so useful last season because we just kicked it out to him from the back when there was not outlet available. Bonucci just makes all of this easier. Playing to the FBs, playing to Mandzukic, playing to the midfield when Pjanic is marked, etc. He is far ahead in his passing and vision than Chiellini or Benatia.

We aren't dominating midfield this season because of signing Cancelo (he is great, don't get me wrong), we are dominating midfields because Bonucci is back. Last season we would sit back even against Roma, Spurs, etc.
I think its unfair to say its only Bunucci or only Cancelo. There is a big reason that Sandro wasnt as good last season. He was the only outlet out of the back so he recieved the ball and had to pass back or do something really great in order to be successful. The season before he has Alves and Bonucci. The point being isnt that Cancelo is our main outlet but that we can spread the ball everywhere right now and its really hard to stop. Bonucci obviously helps a lot with that but in without Cancelo it would just be Bonucci playing a long ball to Ronaldo or Mandzukic but now he has 3 short options(Cancelo,Sandro, and Pjanic) As well as some long ones and Chiellini isnt bad at driving the ball forward at times.

In the end we are a much more skilled and complete team this season and we have a lot of our skilled players out or not getting a good run of games

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Yes indeed but these aspects are not too different from last season. We saw De Sciglio against Manchester play a great match. He doesn't have Cancelo's sharpness to dribble and attack the final third, but in terms of passing and rotating the ball he is good.

I don't mean in terms of quality of the team in general, of course it is better now because of everyone, specially Ronaldo, but in terms of playing from the back.

IMO as bad as Alex was last season, his faults weren't so much as an outlet, but in terms of dribbling further forward, and in terms of always being late to defend and being forced to commit a fault as a result. Asamoah was always competent too.

The main difference as to how we approach midfield play when coming from the back is the presence of Bonucci. Most of his passes can be received from any of our 4 fullbacks interchangeably. It's just a tactical matter. Having him as an option takes responsibility off of Pjanic and let's us bypass midfields with long balls too.

It gives Allegri more options than with Benatia.

Chiellini is good at driving the ball forward with runs, not so much with difficult passes. Which is of course useful, just different, complementary.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2007
I agree with you but you know that just like having Bonucci is another man to press outside of Pjanic, Cancelo can get that quick ball and unlike MDS(who was excellent I agree) can burst forward with the ball at his feet and leave the defender behind. Also with Sandro. He was bad building out of the back but like you said his dribbles werent great and IMO teams loved to stack that side unlike the season before when they had to stop Alves runs the other way so there was more space on the big switch. This season he still wont get that soace as muchh bc Ronaldo draws that attention there

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
In b4 mothers of imbeciles becomes zach's new catchphrase to describe us tactically inferior peasants

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 105)